PDA

View Full Version : Rapid Fire Question

krispy
09-15-2009, 05:40 AM
heres what im wondering:
rapid fire is noted for the most part as 12" distance - this is used for weapons that have range 24" (half the weapon range)

but for sternguard with the special ammo they can shoot 30" -> so do they get to do rapid fire for 15" distance?

thanks

/k

Cryl
09-15-2009, 05:47 AM
I'm pretty sure (happy to be corrected) that rapid fire is defined as 12" rather than half range

Alvena
09-15-2009, 06:00 AM
This point has appear first with the creation of the Tau .
Sternguard, or Tau rifle shoot at max 30' but rapid fire now at 12'.
It was in the prévious edition (3rd or 4th i dont remember well) that we used to say it' was half, but not anymore you can be sure about that.

Culven
09-15-2009, 07:43 AM
Actually, third, fourth, and fifth edition all used 12" as the two-shot range for Rapid Fire weapons. Many players assumed that it was or was "supposed to be" half of the weapon's range (probably due to most Rapid Fire weapons having a 24" range), but this was incorrect.

Churlton
09-16-2009, 09:36 AM
Actually, third, fourth, and fifth edition all used 12" as the two-shot range for Rapid Fire weapons. Many players assumed that it was or was "supposed to be" half of the weapon's range (probably due to most Rapid Fire weapons having a 24" range), but this was incorrect.

So, which is it? I'm confused again .. help.

I have played half the range as rapid fire range; therfore Tau get 15" and so do special situations (eg Sternguard ammo).

I'd like to know the ruling or a FAQ also.

Anyone for a definitive answer?

Lindargo
09-16-2009, 09:47 AM
Rapid fire is always 12" (although you may fire normally if you have not moved),
Lin,

AsgeirArnald
09-16-2009, 09:57 AM
Pg. 28 of the BRB, 2nd paragraph

Models armed with a rapid fire weapon can move and fire two shots at targets up to 12" away.

It doesn't mention anything about half the weapons range, and specifically states up to 12", so I think that's a pretty definitive answer.

phoenyxx
09-16-2009, 10:32 AM
I don't have a page number handy at the moment, but it is explained in the main rule book under rapid fire. Rapid fire range is always 12". It is not half the range of the weapon.

So Tau and Sternguard with special ammo can not move and fire once at 30", or they can move and fire twice at 12". Of course they can also not move and fire twice at 12". The key here is that the range is always 12" for moving or firing twice.

Culven
09-16-2009, 10:36 AM
The greatest discrepancy between a weapon's normal range and what other call *cringes* "rapid fire range" (which doesn't actually exist as a rules concept), is the Kroot Gun which is a 48" Rapid Fire weapon. If the target is within 12", it will fire two shots, over 12" and up to 48", it will only fire one shot if it didn't move. It feels a little strange, but those are the rules.

Firaya
09-16-2009, 07:20 PM
Notice how no one asks about the rapid fire range of Vengeance Rounds that fire a maximum of 18" hehe.

As for the reality of maximum fire range versus rapid fire range, although it's counter-intuitive that a long range sniper type weapon can suddenly lose its range, I believe it's mostly to show that in battle the combatants don't have as much time to steady a weapon to shoot effectively. We can assume that everyone is trying to fire as many shots as possible at the incoming threat and whatever maximum range the weapons originally had is lost as they are aiming closer. Stray shots that should go the maximum distance can also be assumed to hit the ground, terrain etc.

krispy
09-16-2009, 11:49 PM
Okay well i know that it is 12" cos it says so in the rules, the point of this question was more of a WHY its 12" instead of half the range, because i'd have expected it to be half the range, i mean if you can see 30" across a board and your weapon could shoot once at full distance and twice at half distance - it would simply make more sense, expecially when you compare it to standard rapid fire weapons that have a max range 24 and a rapid fire range 12....with units like sternguard who veterans i expected them to be able to do something more impressing but as its set to 12" i guess its not worth discussing really ;)

thanks for all the replies

/k

Faultie
09-17-2009, 05:19 AM
What is extra strange about the Krootgun (and Kroot Rifle, for that matter) is that they are even Rapid Fire in the first place, being that both are described as single-shot, breach-loaded guns. If anything, it should be Heavy 1 (or 2, let's just call it an Autocannon!), and the Rifle should be Assault 1.

Churlton
09-17-2009, 02:10 PM
Notice how no one asks about the rapid fire range of Vengeance Rounds that fire a maximum of 18" hehe.

I did apply a 9" rapid fire range. woo hoo! I get increased range now.

As has been noted in other threads, sometimes we have too many Editions worth of rules, assumptions and confusions are easily made in error (or wishful thinking).

Thanks; that cleared up a fundamental error for me.