PDA

View Full Version : Which books to read...

originoo
09-15-2009, 02:00 PM
Hi Folks!

I'm interested in W40k since a few years, but since now I haven't read any books. Now I hope that you can give me some advice, because I don't want to read just anyone book, I want to read a/the book, that's the one (or two, or three) introducing book into Warhammer 40.000.
Shall I prefer the oldest books, or would it be better to start with a book, which is chronologcally (in W40k time), the oldest?

Thanks in anticipation...

wsg,
originoo

Aldramelech
09-15-2009, 02:25 PM
There is already quite a good thread on this, trowl through, its there somewhere

Red 2
09-16-2009, 08:18 PM
Sometimes it's just as good to start a new thread as it is to dig through an old one. I'll give you my recomendations, but I have to ask: What fluff interests you the most? That is what should guide your choices. My personal favorite is the Eisenhorn trilogy by Dan Abnett. It gives a good feel for what the Imperium is beyond the Guard and Space Marines. The characters are instantly likeable and they show good progression throughout the books. If Chaos is more to your liking, I'd recomend Storm of Iron by Graham McNeil. You also can't go wrong with the Horus Heresy books. I wouldn't worry about keeping with the 40k timeline. Go where your interests take you.

originoo
09-17-2009, 12:47 AM
Hi!

@Red2: I think my interest is mostly in the Imperium, just to get more ideas of it. And when there's something, that's "behind" the Guard and the Marines... that would be good. And about the "timeline" of the human race in 40k... the Horus Herasy must be one of the oldest, musn't it?

msg
originoo

firestorm
09-17-2009, 04:06 AM
It depends what you're wanting to read about.

If it's Space Marines, the Ultramarines saga is good. Dan Abnett's 'Iron Snakes' is supposed to be good, but I've not read it. 'Angels of Darkness' is very good, one of the better 40k books. The Soul Drinkers stuff is pretty good, I've only read the first three though.

If it's Chaos Marines, 'Storm of Iron' is a must. The Word Bearers saga is supposed to be great, but I've not read it.

If it's Guard, you're spoilt for choice, but you can't go wrong with Abnett's Gaunt's Ghosts stuff, the first three are absolutely belting. The Caiaphas Cain series is upposed to be good, but I've not read any of them.

If it's Inquisition, then read the Eisenhorn Trilogy. The second book especially is one of the best 40k books, in so much as, at the time anyway, it added a huge amount to the background, fleshing out the Cadian Shock Troops we know and love today.

I know the Horus Heresy series has a strong following, but after the first two books the quality started to drop greatly. I gave up on 'Fulgrim' a third of the way in as it was following a pattern I'd identified in the previous books.

For Xenos, there's not a lot; an oop book that you might find on eBay is 'Farseer', if you want to find out about the Eldar though you might feel cheated as it focusses more on human Characters. It has a fantastic section in it though where a ship is travelling through the Immaterium, probably the only bit about the book that is worth reading.

I think the best written boooks, certainly interms of realistic, human characters and the depth and detail of setting, are the Shira Calpurnia series, about Arbites on Hydraphur. 'Crossfire' I think was the title of the first.

For what it's worth, the only 40k Books I'd read again are:

- Necropolis (Gaunts Ghosts)
- Nightbringer (Ultramarines)
- Storm of Iron
- Angels of Darkness
- Eisenhorn Trilogy
- Soul Drinkers
- Crossfire/Legacy

Kirkanos
09-17-2009, 09:07 AM
I'd also recommend the Gaunts Ghosts books, great reads and will give a reasonable obverview of what the imperium is like.

Red 2
09-18-2009, 10:47 AM
As far as the Imperium goes, the Horus Heresy is as old as it gets. I would highly recommend starting with the Eisenhorn books. They are just lightyears ahead of most of the Black Library. I would also recommend the Gaunts Ghost collection. Can't go wrong either way.

sicarius2424
09-18-2009, 08:47 PM
really am i the only one that has read fifteen hours its like the best guard book without all the politicall and religeous stuf so well known of the era now a must read if i say

originoo
09-21-2009, 03:36 PM
Thanx for all your help, guys! I've added some omnibusses to may list at amazon... now I have to find some time to buy and read them... :)