PDA

View Full Version : Rough Riders vs a Tank

gwensdad
09-15-2009, 02:30 PM
I'm thinking of taking some Rough Riders for an upcoming game, and wondering if it's worth it to take meltabombs based on the rules for assaulting a vehicle. Here's the situation I may be looking at:

A unit of Rough Riders is in charge range of a Land Raider that hasn't moved. The unit has lances and the sarge has melta bombs. If they charge, the sarge will use his melta bombs on the tank to attack it.
Now here's the question: Since the unit was using grenades on the tank, were the lances used? If so, this makes taking meltabombs kinda useless. If they're not used (as the rest of the unit was planting krak grenades to no use) then I may just do this.

So, thoughts?

Nabterayl
09-15-2009, 02:59 PM
Strictly speaking, yes, you have to use your hunting lances "the first time" you "charge into close combat," which means that if you have melta bombs and/or krak grenades and you charge a Land Raider as your first successful charge of the game, not only is the hunting lance used in the charge, but the melta bombs and/or krak grenades are not used. (IG Codex 44). Personally I'd allow you not to use the hunting lances when charging a vehicle, but the codex doesn't have any provision for that.

Culven
09-15-2009, 02:59 PM
"Rough Riders use their hunting lances the first time they charge into close combat. . ." You don't seem to have an option if the lances haven't already been used. Only models without hunting lances would be able to use Grenades, and everyone else would waste their lances. After their first combat, then the unit would be able to use grenades.