- level 1

20 glade guard
-standard
-musician

6 scouts

9 dryads

9 dryads

5 waywatchers

It was my first list , so I took a lot of core and magic with me. I had 1000 pts and played with an l
Orc player against a deamon 2000 pt army. The terrible allies rule let the daemon player run the magic show. I was in charge of the right flank, I set up my scouts and waywatchers in his territory and had my spellcasters and dryads set up on the right. I thought I could win the right, then help out the orcs with the daemons huge core choices. Well that didn't happen. He charged my scouts on the first turn in hard cover ,with fiends of slannesh, and only killed two of them and they held. I then, through magic , got a squad of dryads on the flank of the fiends of slannesh, but it was irrestable force, which killed one fiend, 1 scout, and 6 dryads. The branchwraith was with them amn did pretty well in combat. But after the spell backfire it took another squad of dryads to finally kill three fiends. But to get my other dryads in there, my spellsinger irrestable forced killing himself. My waywatchers had a shooting party against flamers, that was stale, until the flamers charged, won combat by one, way watchers then failed ld test then were caught. Those flamers then killed the scouts. In the meantime after the fiends perished. The dryads went around and rear charched a group of daemonettes fighting orcs, but again to get there, branchwraith irresistible forced and turned into a one wound level 0 wizard, ending her day pretty much. The dryads killes a bunch of deamonettes , but were quickly killed in the later roundabout of cc.

What did the 20 gladeguard do you ask? They supported the orca in the middle, but because of poor dice rolls were ineffective.

We lost pretty bad. The main reason was the magic phase. Daemons magic killed a bunch of black orcs. Rending our big unit useless.

Mvp for the woodies, would be my 6 man scout squad. The pulled the daemons out in the open, put some wounds on the fiends, held, then tied up the flamers shooting attacks . Lvp goes to waywatchers. The causes one wound, and one killing blow, then were erased in the middle of turn three.

It was my first game amd first list, I had fun

Wildeybeast
02-12-2012, 07:20 AM
Glad you enjoyed it, but as a fellow WE player, don't expect it to last. In my experience, Lore of Athel Loren is terrible, so at low points values I'd just have a level 1 with dispel scroll and go for shooty/combat hero. I also suggest that when you expand, you invest in more forest spirits, particularly treekin. And I've decided that command groups in archers are pointless as if they get in combat they are dead whatever happens. Maybe keep the musician for the reform, but otherwise don't bother. You can make a competitive army, but play for fun, don't expect to win many games and best of luck in future games!

planet psyrum
02-12-2012, 05:07 PM
Yeah, the "internet" tells me the wood elves are broken, but I'm going to find out for myself. Playing daemons would be hard because of their ward saves, amd flaming attacks. I have a plan next time I play him. Im going to have msu of gg, eternal guard, waywatchers, scouts, and wardancers. I will try to pull him out of position, gang up on units out of the block and soften them up with arrows.
I'm going to bring low level spellcasters to dispell only.

I'm thinking about bringing the machine gun alter lord and put a "challenge" noble in a block of eg to tie up things and kill heroes.

We will see how that works.

Wildeybeast
02-13-2012, 04:19 AM
Whilst I don't want you to discourage trying things, I tried the challenge noble and he was a waste of time. He would tie up characters, but the rest of his unit would just get overwhelmed by even basic infantry in large enough blocks. And wardancers are far too expensive and fragile to use as bait. You would be better off with glade riders as at least they have a chance to get away from charges and can bring ranged support. But if you find that works, let me know, anythign that does is all good news to me!

Chronowraith
02-13-2012, 07:08 AM
So far the only wood elf lists I've seen work are heavy on the glade guard with a bunch of small units of dryads to act as speed bumps. You castle in one corner with the archers and set up your dryads in a perimeter then when approached you tie up their units for a turn or two with a unit of dryads and march around the flanks... keep moving around them in circles and using a fresh unit of dryads to prevent charges against the glade guard. It's a pain in the arse and you still lose a lot of points as you run through 3-4 units of dryads, but it can work.