PDA

View Full Version : Eldar or Space Marines?

j-orge-287
09-16-2009, 12:52 PM
OK guys enlighten me.
Should I collect an Eldar army or a Space Marine army?
I have colour schemes and army designs planned for both choices but which one should I collect?:confused:

Nabterayl
09-16-2009, 12:54 PM
What are the bases upon which you wish to make your decision?

j-orge-287
09-16-2009, 01:23 PM
The models (awesome) the tactics (awesome) and now I can't decide!!!

09-16-2009, 01:25 PM
do you have sample lists? I repeat, what factors are important for you, and how do you rate each one. There's essentially no way for us to help you without more information.

j-orge-287
09-16-2009, 01:35 PM
I haven't got either codex due to a shortage of cash (we are in a recession dudes) But for the Eldar I plan to use plenty of aspect warriors-howling banshees, dark reapers and dire avengers, and jetbikes with a fire prism and falcon handy.
For the space marines not sure what to field but I am obsessed with battle companies and terminators so it will be along those lines.
And before I forget I MUST have an avatar for Eldar

Drew da Destroya
09-16-2009, 02:26 PM
Eldar are supposedly harder to play effectively. Marines are, well marines.

The choice is clear. Orks!

gwensdad
09-16-2009, 02:35 PM
How you want to paint could be a factor. Do you like to paint the same colors over and over and over? Then have a marine chapter! If you like to really vary things, then Eldar with their varied uniforms would work well.

And yes, a cool looking avatar is cool.

Now if you're looking at cost, marines will be cheaper at first thanks to the stuff you get from Assault on Black Reach. (after that, look for a second job :D)

Duke
09-16-2009, 02:41 PM
Well, this is a great topic... I happen to play both. As of right now I have about 10k points of Marines and 25k of Eldar. Ill go over some of the pluses/ minuses.

Eldar: They are beautiful models! With eldar you are going to have to get very familiar with one word: SYNERGY. the list ideas you mentioned (Lots of one aspect or another) will naturally be harder because Eldar have easily exposed weaknesses, hence the need for synergy. Also, Eldar are tactically more difficult again because of the nature of their weaknesses. However, once you get the handle with Eldar they are VERY hard to break. Also, they are fun to paint because each aspect shrine is a differenct scheme, but they do require a bit of attention when painting, Eldar painted lazily show it! Eldar, due to their many many synergistic options can be expensive to collect.

Eldar remined me the most of Feudal japan with Samurai and Ninjas and such. If you like all of this choose Eldar.

Marines: Marines are very forgivable, if you have bad luck, or just want to not lose every one of your first 20 games then marines will help you in that goal. Unlike Eldar you don't need to worry as much about army selection, as a basic tactical squad will fill in most holes. Because of this Marines are often easier on the wallet as well. The fluff around marines is also cool. One downside is that most of your opponents will build lists to fight Marines specifically.

marines remined me the most of Spartan Greece mixed with Roman Legions and Warrior Monks. If you like that feel then choose Marines.

All in all I love both armies, If I feel like being a sneaky, tricky little git then I play my Eldar. If I just feel like slugging it out with my opponent and winning by shear toughness then I play my Marines. I hope this helps, but it comes down to one question... Who is the Ultimate Warrior, the Samurai or the Spartan? lol

Duke

vman
09-16-2009, 04:24 PM
either are good armies

space marines would be more forgiving and army to start off with

Eldar are excellent if you are a good tactician... plus their models look sweet

Tsear
09-16-2009, 04:53 PM
Eldar are tons of fun. They can use the movement phase like no one else, which makes them far more interesting to play IMO. Plus they have some cool backstory and awesome models.

Drunkencorgimaster
09-16-2009, 08:17 PM
space marines would be more forgiving and army to start off with

That says it all.

j-orge-287
09-17-2009, 09:23 AM
Gwensdad and duke-your awesome! I am going to collect eldar as of when I have money and a completed guard army!

Case closed

helline9
09-17-2009, 09:41 AM
There is a simple reason to go for Eldar, every 'man & his dog' has a marine army.
Not only will you just be one of the crowd when you say you've got a marine army but know that everyone has prepared to fight to fight marines.

Don't get me wrong marines are very cool but...

You could play marines and be bland or you could play Eldar and be elite, realistically its that simple!

Have a go at playing them in Dawn of war as a tester.

Duke
09-17-2009, 12:53 PM
Gwensdad and duke-your awesome!
Case closed

Thanks man, I try... lol. Congrats on making the decision.

Duke

keithsilva
09-17-2009, 01:59 PM
I play both armies and enjoy the equally, they are to total different armies, which require two different styles to play. Just ask yourself what style for want to play

Majorcrash
09-17-2009, 02:27 PM
I agree complet;y with Duke, and also those who said that marines are a more forgiving army( easier to Play). But one 0ther point, Eldar are the paper to marines rock. And since about 70% of 40k player play a marine or version of army. Than you most certainly be different from the rest. I love my Eldar nearly as much as my IG. But my marines havent been touched in about 5 years. Kinda boring after awhile.;)