PDA

View Full Version : Which 40K Novels would make into the best Movies?

imperialsavant
09-16-2009, 11:05 PM
:p O.K. Folks, which 40K movies could be made into good Movies & not just for us 40K fans but ones that might succeed at the Box Office.

When you think of many Sci-Fi Movies, Starship Troopers, Star Wars & ones like Van Helsing etc some of the Dan Abnett Inquisitor ones sound like a chance, the Caiphus Cain series & maybe even the DA written Iron Snake one?

Whats your thoughts??

The West Coast Knight
09-16-2009, 11:36 PM
The Space Wolf books with the story of Ragnar and how he came from a native Fenris man to a Wolf lord.

Love the William King books.

Vash113
09-17-2009, 12:28 AM
This is going to sound brutal but none... not... a... single... one. The plots are either long, winding, full of things non-40k fans won't understand or are just plain bad. The Inquisitor novels were great... wouldn't make good movies though. Some of the Guard books were pretty good... wouldn't make good movies though. The Space Wolf novels were great... wouldn't make good movies though.

A movie set in the 40k universe would almost have to be action and for an action movie to be effective it needs to have lots of action without too many long pauses in between. None of the 40k books I can think of would fit that without having to either massively alter or simplify the plots.

When you think about it the Inquisition books have long periods of investigating, talking, plot twists, intersperced with short but somewhat intense action scenes. But that would leave your average action movie fan bored out of their minds, mystery fans wondering why there's a car chase in the middle of their nice plot, and most non-40k fans wondering what on earth is going on.

The Guard books also tend to have plots that really only make a whole lot of sense or are very interresting with some contextual knowledge of the Warhammer 40,000 universe. Gun Heads is kinda stupid and pointless unless you really know the symbolic importance of the Fortress of Arrogance, otherwise it seems unbelievably stupid that a whole army would be sent to the slaughter to recover a rusted piece of junk tank... most people not familiar with 40k would just wonder why they don't just build a new one and to explain it would take a sizeable ammount of information.

The Space Marine books also tend to have a lot of contextual significance, which to stand alone would require a great deal of rather dull exposition. Not to mention while awesome in many ways, Space Marine Characters are difficult to portray, would almost have to be rendered in CGI, actors in costumes look wonky, and the pseudo-religious-monkish attitudes and doctrines could cause audiences problems.

So overall I can't think of a single 40k novel that would without some truly monolithic changes make a good movie. Some of the short stories might translate alright into an expanded script format, they tend to be shorter on the heavy plot, with less pauses in between action and with less exposition.

Shadow Queen
09-17-2009, 03:17 AM
Storm of Iron, the HH books and the arbite books.

mysterex
09-17-2009, 04:35 AM
Any of the Ciaphas Cain books, especially the first one. A lot of the rest of the 40k fiction would just end up "effects" movies while Cain is entertaining even without the action.

Schnitzel
09-17-2009, 05:44 AM
A movie set in the 40k universe would almost have to be action and for an action movie to be effective it needs to have lots of action without too many long pauses in between. None of the 40k books I can think of would fit that without having to either massively alter or simplify the plots.

Yes, because dialogue heavy movies are terrible and never do well. I mean seriously, Pulp Fiction was all senseless gunslinging and action right? The Dicinci Code was just some boom boom action with Jesus thrown around for the sake of some sort of plot yeah? Heaven have mercy that a movie actually have something other than big explosions and car chases everywhere!

I'm not trying to flame you or anything here, but your argument seems very closed minded to me. Sorry.

DoctorEvil
09-17-2009, 06:29 AM
Yes, because dialogue heavy movies are terrible and never do well. I mean seriously, Pulp Fiction was all senseless gunslinging and action right? The Dicinci Code was just some boom boom action with Jesus thrown around for the sake of some sort of plot yeah? Heaven have mercy that a movie actually have something other than big explosions and car chases everywhere!

I'm not trying to flame you or anything here, but your argument seems very closed minded to me. Sorry.
I agree with you Schitzel, but I think his point is the movie would never be as good as the books. But I believe that's true of ANY movie that is adapted from a book.

Take the DaVinci Code. It was an entertaining movie, but nowhere near as good as the book. That's true of most of the Grisham movie adpations too. The Lords of the Rings trilogy were GREAT movies, but the hardcore fans of the book complained about all the things they left out.

That's always the problem with adapting the written word to the screen. Movies are constrained by time limits. No studio is going to make a 12 hour movie just so they can accurately adapt a book. 90 minutes is the goal, which they will stretch to 2-3 hours if necessary. Studio executives just don't believe that audiences will sit through a movie that is much over 3 hours. That kind of constraint will always limit what directors or producers can do in terms of content.

Over all I would say most 40K novels are BETTER suited to movie adaptions than novels by John Grisham or Dan Brown. Most of them are dialogue/action filled romps that could easily be made into a fine action film. Dan Abnett in particular writes in a cinematic style.

firestorm
09-17-2009, 06:49 AM
This is going to sound brutal but none... not... a... single... one. The plots are either long, winding, full of things non-40k fans won't understand or are just plain bad. The Inquisitor novels were great... wouldn't make good movies though. Some of the Guard books were pretty good... wouldn't make good movies though. The Space Wolf novels were great... wouldn't make good movies though.

When you think about it the Inquisition books have long periods of investigating, talking, plot twists, intersperced with short but somewhat intense action scenes. But that would leave your average action movie fan bored out of their minds, mystery fans wondering why there's a car chase in the middle of their nice plot, and most non-40k fans wondering what on earth is going on.

Absolutely agree with you. Any attempt at a 40k movie would condense, water-down and alter the setting and background that it would anger us fan-boys and leave everyone else wondering what the fuss is about.

A mini-series, on the otherhand... ;) :D

Faultie
09-17-2009, 07:10 AM
I could see a few being really good, but certainly not all of them. There needs to be a certain mix of different things for a successful transition to movie-ness.

1: Execution Hour - This has it all. A few strong main characters (Captain Semper, Confessor Devane, Marshal Byzantane, that stranivarite guy, etc.), action of all types (ground combat, fighters, warships, planet-destroyers, etc.), a mystery, a climactic battle at the end, and it's none of the battles are so lopsided that you know how they'll play out. It's not so much a "war movie" as a Master and Commander in space.

2: Nightbringer - Similar to Execution Hour, but with more focus on ground combat (there is some space fighting), a little more intrigue, and, of course, SPACE MARINES! It also has a nice climax, an unspeakable evil, and a bit of mystery as well. Also, Space Marines.

3: Crossfire - A movie adaptation would have to be a much more cerebral movie, as it's not filled with unending action, but is much more of a thriller/whodunit and inspector type movie. I think it could be adapted quite nicely, as could any of the =I= books, for a nice space mystery. My only fear would be that, unless done very well, a casual movie-watcher might not piece together clues and make connections that someone familiar with the 40k universe would see as obvious. I say Crossfire because it was the first one, and it is good, but I think Blind might actually make a better thriller, as it's more confined and focused on a singular event.

Any of the other books that is well rounded, has strong character development, as well as a variety of different settings, storylines, and action events, would make a good adaptation to screen. I don't know that we'll ever see one, but select Black Library material lends itself to screen treatment.

Atrotos
09-17-2009, 08:39 AM
Dan Abnett's Brothers of the Snake has it all. Space Marines, constant action, a plot that doesn't rely on 40k background but will still make 40k fans happy.

Just imagine the phalanx fighting the ork horde on the big screen! EPIC!

Aldramelech
09-17-2009, 09:05 AM
Never seen one single movie that was as good as the book it was based on. There is no substitute for your own imagination.

rsheridan5
09-17-2009, 09:21 AM
I believe that the first three novels of the Horus Heresy would make a good trilogy. There were some very human aspects to each of the main characters... Even comic relief with Torgaddon!
The background and unique 40k elements could be easily explained by a limited Narrator (or scrolling text al-la Star Wars, yikes!), and the combat scenes would be amazing if done properly, with a giant climax at the end with the Isstvan III battle.
There would be no happy ending obviously, but there really shouldn't be in 40k... And I think that would be made up for in minds of the audience by the nobility of the loyalists in the final battle.

Also, in order for actors to not look stupid in the power armor, real attention to detail would be necessary. Small bolts, mechanical bits, and proper proportion my be able to be done by a professional costumer, but if it is done like some hobbyists with wide flat panels and mior detailing they would look idiotic.

oni
09-17-2009, 09:52 AM
The only book that I've read... am reading, which I think would make for a pretty decent movie is Titanicus.

Logan
09-17-2009, 10:13 AM
None of the books were written to becoming a movie and as such would need to be butchered to fit the change in media. So I think a story written specifically to be a movie would work out far better for everyone concerned (especially us geeks who take the butchery personally, come on you know we would).
Some themes and scenes could be lifted though.
40k as a setting has a lot of obvious influences, so it would be difficult to use many elements without it looking like a rip off of lots of other stuff already out there, which would only cause harm to the product. How many rip off films do you like more than the original?
Most audiences unfamiliar with the background could think they were watching stormtroopers (Star Wars) fighting the Bugs (Starship Troopers) with allies from 'Nam.
Doesn't sound too good does it?

sketchesofpayne
09-17-2009, 10:25 AM
Dan Abnett's Brothers of the Snake has it all. Space Marines, constant action, a plot that doesn't rely on 40k background but will still make 40k fans happy.

Just imagine the phalanx fighting the ork horde on the big screen! EPIC!

Exactly my thoughts. Brothers of the Snake makes a good insular story that people not familiar with 40k could enjoy.

Duke
09-17-2009, 10:29 AM
I agree that the first three books of the HH series would make the best movies.

entendre_entendre
09-17-2009, 01:48 PM
am i seriously the only one with a vote for Emperor's Mercy by Henry Zhou? ( guess not many people have read it...) I mean it's got plot (ancient super weapon anyone?), action (ripping a tank apart!!!), and shows the multiple factions of the Imperium, but it may be better broken into multiple movies.
actually i think Storm of Iron would make a cool movie (Honsou FTW) and a nice introduction to Chaos, but Brothers of the Snake would be better for an audience who has no idea what 40k is.
i think the problem with a Cain movie is that it would need some voice over narrative by Cain (and/or Amberly) in order to get the humour that's so apparent in the books, and unless pulled off really well, it would be corny (not Khorney!!!).

bryce963
09-17-2009, 02:08 PM
Titanicus is really the only one I can think of that could be done, as titan combat is basically submarine warfare on land, with armies at your feet and that is why it is awesome. Also it could just be a big effects move, giant robots yay!! But still be able to put in enough 40k stuff, that wouldn't be too hard for people to understand. Also it had a DaVinci code element to it as well, which I thought was cool, as the religious angle in the far future is an interesting part of 40k.

Also I have always wanted to hear the opening speech of the rulebooks spoken by some big time voice actor that could make it sound as thrilling as the words are. I get a chill sometime reading it, the preface is the best piece of 40k fiction yet.

Vash113
09-17-2009, 05:54 PM
None of the books were written to becoming a movie and as such would need to be butchered to fit the change in media. So I think a story written specifically to be a movie would work out far better for everyone concerned (especially us geeks who take the butchery personally, come on you know we would).
Some themes and scenes could be lifted though.
40k as a setting has a lot of obvious influences, so it would be difficult to use many elements without it looking like a rip off of lots of other stuff already out there, which would only cause harm to the product. How many rip off films do you like more than the original?
Most audiences unfamiliar with the background could think they were watching stormtroopers (Star Wars) fighting the Bugs (Starship Troopers) with allies from 'Nam.
Doesn't sound too good does it?

Excelent points Logan and I agree entirely. A 40k movie is a dangerous prospect because SOOOOO much of 40k is ripped right from other themes and ideas, sometimes utterly blatantly and shamelessly, the threat of being labeled a rip-off would be crippling to many of the stories depicted in the novels. Some stories stand alone alright, but to be put on screen would require either too much exposition, expose too much that is obviously ripped from other works or would butcher the origional story.

Like I said a short story would be a better basis to adapt into a longer and more flushed out script, or an origional story specifically designed to be put on screen. Trying to adapt an existing novel would either wind up disliked by the general audience or cause a riot amongst 40k fans, and everyone really must admit many would get pissed off if the fluff was butchered.

sicarius2424
09-17-2009, 08:38 PM
great idea man i say the horus heresy novels would make a good movie if they only did the first but it would make a good movie sereies expescially horus rising, fulgrim, legion, and mechanicum

sicarius2424
09-17-2009, 08:44 PM
[QUOTE=Vash113;20142]Excelent points Logan and I agree entirely. A 40k movie is a dangerous prospect because SOOOOO much of 40k is ripped right from other themes and ideas, sometimes utterly blatantly and shamelessly, the threat of being labeled a rip-off would be crippling to many of the stories depicted in the novels. Some stories stand alone alright, but to be put on screen would require either too much exposition, expose too much that is obviously ripped from other works or would butcher the origional story.

yeah i would go mad with fury but if they did it right then everyone 40k would love it so it could go both ways i sugest that they do it in computer graphics i dont know if anyone has seen some 40k movies on youtube but i have and to be honest i dont like it but great job for trying. but we need really tall guys for space marine and im really sure that no one is tall enough for the job becase even the tallest guy would only reach the chest. then they would have to be super madly riped to pull it off to the point where they cant walk properly

im not trying to be mean or anything but i really dont want 40k to go the way of eragon did from book to movie or look corny

sicarius2424
09-17-2009, 08:52 PM

The Guard books also tend to have plots that really only make a whole lot of sense or are very interresting with some contextual knowledge of the Warhammer 40,000 universe. Gun Heads is kinda stupid and pointless unless you really know the symbolic importance of the Fortress of Arrogance, otherwise it seems unbelievably stupid that a whole army would be sent to the slaughter to recover a rusted piece of junk tank... most people not familiar with 40k would just wonder why they don't just build a new one and to explain it would take a sizeable ammount of information.

The Space Marine books also tend to have a lot of contextual significance, which to stand alone would require a great deal of rather dull exposition. Not to mention while awesome in many ways, Space Marine Characters are difficult to portray, would almost have to be rendered in CGI, actors in costumes look wonky, and the pseudo-religious-monkish attitudes and doctrines could cause audiences problems.

So overall I can't think of a single 40k novel that would without some truly monolithic changes make a good movie. Some of the short stories might translate alright into an expanded script format, they tend to be shorter on the heavy plot, with less pauses in between action and with less exposition.

your wrong :p:mad: the book fifteen hours like the best book i will ever read about 200 pages fast paced and a lot of action plus not too much a none 40k person needs to know good for beginners just beginning 40k obviously it takes up only 15 hours in the plot so it can be done really quickly the plot is not winding i love the big fight and at the risk of sounding gay/corny my heart fills up with pride when i read about them fighting the never ending tide of greenskins :o and there are even some side plots to it to help fill in the blanks as to how he got to where he is in the book

PedroKantor
09-18-2009, 06:59 PM
mini-series[/I], on the otherhand... ;) :D
especially an animated one done by the THQ folks... those DOW II videos were pretty freaking cool

Schnitzel
09-19-2009, 07:41 AM
[QUOTE=Vash113;20142]Excelent points Logan and I agree entirely. A 40k movie is a dangerous prospect because SOOOOO much of 40k is ripped right from other themes and ideas, sometimes utterly blatantly and shamelessly, the threat of being labeled a rip-off would be crippling to many of the stories depicted in the novels. Some stories stand alone alright, but to be put on screen would require either too much exposition, expose too much that is obviously ripped from other works or would butcher the origional story.

yeah i would go mad with fury but if they did it right then everyone 40k would love it so it could go both ways i sugest that they do it in computer graphics i dont know if anyone has seen some 40k movies on youtube but i have and to be honest i dont like it but great job for trying. but we need really tall guys for space marine and im really sure that no one is tall enough for the job becase even the tallest guy would only reach the chest. then they would have to be super madly riped to pull it off to the point where they cant walk properly

im not trying to be mean or anything but i really dont want 40k to go the way of eragon did from book to movie or look corny

An interesting argument you bring up, but unfortunately flawed. While 40k is heavily inspired by other works before it such as Frank Herbet's Dune, it does not "blatantly" rip from them. There are even intentionally placed easter eggs in 40k fluff to pay homage to Dune and other such sources of inspiration.
The general public will not care that a 40k movie seems "ripped" from something, they want to be entertained! How many cheesy remakes and civilizations have we seen of older films? How many times do we watch a cool new movie and realize "oh gee, this is so much like that other movie", but still enjoy it?
Here's some food for thought, did you know Star Wars was considered a borderline plagiarized work back in its initial rough drafts? That it was so heavily inspired by Dune the whole script had to be revamped? Interesting huh? But people love and cherish Star Wars all the same.

Logan
09-19-2009, 09:08 AM
You say that the plot of Star Wars had to be rewritten to not resemble Dune.
Surely that is the point, after rewriting 40k to not resemble Dune, Star Wars, Platoon, Black Hawk Down, Star Ship Troopers, etc... it would be so mangled that we wouldn't recognise it as 40k anymore!
So what is the point of making it

I love 40k and have done for years, one of the reasons for this is that it reminds me of so many other things that I like. I dont see that working favourably for a film though.

Jearden
09-19-2009, 09:42 AM
I have to agree with several others. Brotherhood of the Snake is the one. Doenst need a lot of background to be explained. As a matter of fact, it sort of explains who and what they are. Sure its somewhat episodic in nature, but I think it does a good job of explaining who and what Space Marines are.