PDA

View Full Version : space wolf jotww seen it before?

ninja skills
09-17-2009, 09:46 AM
since the constant cries of 'broken' on forums about the jaws of the world wolf power I've had a feeling i'd seen somthing like it before. I think I remembered what it was the other day, in the previous C:SM book did the power vortex of doom do the same thing but with a large blast marker instead of a line?

I think it did but i no longer have acess to that book so I can't be sure. I don't remember too many people being completely mental over it.

if its true i and has been noted before i'm sorry, tried to look for it on other threads first

cheers

sketchesofpayne
09-17-2009, 10:08 AM
Gift of Chaos is what it's called. In the older Chaos Space Marine codex you choose a model within 2 inches of the Sorceror and have to roll above their toughness. Invulnerable saves may be taken against it.

In the new codex Gift of Chaos they upped the range to 6 inches.

Hardly the carnifex killer the new Space Wolf power looks like it is.

I'm looking through the old chaos books and I can't find anything called "Vortex of Doom" or similar. Wind of Chaos is the only template weapon, and it just causes wounds on a 4+.

ochs
09-17-2009, 10:36 AM
in the last c:sm the power was 'fury of the ancients' or something, and went in a straight line, till it hit a friendly unit, and inflicted d3 st4 hits on every unit

Drunkencorgimaster
09-17-2009, 11:21 AM
since the constant cries of 'broken' on forums about the jaws of the world wolf power I've had a feeling i'd seen somthing like it before. I think I remembered what it was the other day, in the previous C:SM book did the power vortex of doom do the same thing but with a large blast marker instead of a line?

Question for Ouchs and Payne: how in the warp were you able to figure out what this guy is talking about?

Kanaellars
09-17-2009, 11:44 AM
The old "power" that was very simular to this was an eldar weapon.

The D-Cannon, or dimensional cannon. It was a crewed weapon that ignored line of sight and put down a blast that if the targets failed a save, they were dropped into the warp or somewhere else and were taken off the table.

Duke
09-17-2009, 12:45 PM
No people, he is talking about in the OLD C:SM. There was a vortex of doom power that was similar to this one in that it was an initiative test, it was a small blast template from what I remember and it had short range (<24") it wasn't as great as it seemed on paper. JOTWW could easily go the same way, however Rune Priests can take sagas that will give them outflank/ stealth, that could be a nasty combo with JOTWW.

Duke

Kanaellars
09-17-2009, 12:47 PM
I was just pointing out yet another power from old books that was very simular.

ninja skills
09-17-2009, 02:21 PM
No people, he is talking about in the OLD C:SM. There was a vortex of doom power that was similar to this one in that it was an initiative test, it was a small blast template from what I remember and it had short range (<24") it wasn't as great as it seemed on paper. JOTWW could easily go the same way, however Rune Priests can take sagas that will give them outflank/ stealth, that could be a nasty combo with JOTWW.

Duke

so i wasn't going mad then! the new power is the old vortex and fury of the ancients put together.

your right with the outflanking part thought that would be nasty but there may be ways of limiting it with how you set up, I hope (for my poor necrons sake)

George Labour
09-17-2009, 05:11 PM
Didn't the Vortex grenade of pre 3rd edition incanrations do many similiar things?

And now that I think about it, isn't the wraithcannon on the wraithguard a similiar toy? Not quite as powerful, but definitely more flexible as you cna get them as troops, and they can insta gank anything but tyrannids and certain Chaos sorts.

Faolain
09-17-2009, 09:13 PM
The old D-Cannon was highly unpredictable, you had to roll on two separate charts to see what happened, and some results made you roll on other charts. Most of the time it just sent models to the other side of the board. I would always take it, hoping to get some of the destructive results but that never seemed to happen.

The current Wraithcannon only inflicts instant death on a roll of a 6. You still get cover/inv saves against it, and has a very short range. As much as I love my Wraithguard, it's hardly comparable to JotWW.

crazyzombie
09-17-2009, 11:32 PM
While you guys are on the topic wouldn't you able to do a similar thing in the form of a Necron lord with a pariah retinue and a veil of shadow. You basically telaport them in and warscythe your way to victory.

hereticus
09-18-2009, 12:41 AM
In second ed, there was an Inquisition psychic power named Vortex of Doom. Started at the base of the model casting it and killed everything it touched (freind or foe) in a straight line with a range of 6D6 inches (I think). That used the small blast template.