PDA

View Full Version : Advice for a noob

Pyromancer
03-05-2012, 02:41 PM
I'm starting Warmachine and I need some advice, I picked up the Cryx starter box and I wanna know were to go from there. I've heard that Cryx is the cheese army but I just wanna play something fun, advice please :)

JBRocky
03-05-2012, 04:12 PM
Well if you don't have the book always good to start there. First unit I would get is Bane Thralls with a UA.

cody
03-05-2012, 05:31 PM
Definitely read the main rulebook and the faction book a couple of times before spending much (if any) money on models. Sites like the battlecollege wiki can give you a general idea of what models do, but also contain a bunch of mistakes. Once you have the actual rules for the models, you can always get some blank bases to try stuff out before you buy, most people are fine with that, especially for newer players.

sonicReducer
03-06-2012, 03:44 AM
Check out the stickies on the PP Cryx forum, lots of advice and unit write-ups, helped me a lot when I got started:

http://privateerpressforums.com/forumdisplay.php?26-Cryx-Community

http://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?81872-How-to-Fully-Eliminate-and-Reanimate-your-Enemy-%28V-2%29

http://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?29960-So-you-want-to-serve-the-Dragonfather-what-you-need-to-know-to-be-a-loyal-minion

Good luck!

Ihme_apina
03-06-2012, 03:47 AM
If you want to get some good Cryx models that will see play in your future lists here are some mainstays:

Every caster. they are all good

Every Warjack barring the Slayer, Seether and Corruptor, escpecially the Character one and Deathjack stand out even from those.

Bane Thralls with thair UA, Satyxis Raiders and Bloodwitches, Mechanithralls, Blackbanes Ghost Raiders are all good units, not the only ones though.

Every solo other than the bloat thrall, if you take a unit take their buff solo (ie Tartarus for banes and Satyxis Captain for the raiders)

Its hard to suggest what to get since Cryx has so few bad choises.. Look at the range, pick what you like the look of and play those.

www.forwardkommander.com is a great tool for throwing list ideas around.

Dais
03-06-2012, 08:36 AM
Every Warjack barring the Slayer, Seether and Corruptor, escpecially the Character one and Deathjack stand out even from those.

I have to disagree with your negative sentiments towards the seether, anything that is that focus efficient and still hits that hard is good. Even if you never play it in your battlegroup, the seether is the perfect choice when the withershadow combine pull off dark industries.
The slayer isn't particularly bad either but it dose get outclassed by more expensive jacks.

My advice for any new player is to take it slow and get used to the rules before you progress to larger games. Make sure you understand how your jacks and caster work before you add in anything new.
Cryx is known for being an infantry army right now, not because their jacks are bad, but because they have outstanding infantry. They do have a caster or two that excel at running jacks though, so play around with both then decide which way you want to go first. Either way bane thralls, their officer, and banelord tartarus are probably safe buys when you want to dive into your first unit.

Face Stabbity
03-06-2012, 09:08 AM
With any basic army questions, always check the forums first. If yours is a question that has likely been asked before, there's likely already an answer stickied on those forums. PP has created a really helpful community, so any questions you have after that will usually get answered thoroughly and politely.

j78
03-06-2012, 10:03 AM
I'm starting Warmachine and I need some advice, I picked up the Cryx starter box and I wanna know were to go from there. I've heard that Cryx is the cheese army but I just wanna play something fun, advice please :)

buy the book first.

then get a skarlock. you'll use it a bunch, it's cheap, and it will help you start to work out model activations. or bane thralls. everyone loves banethralls.

Thrasymachos
03-06-2012, 11:59 AM
Bane Thralls & Tartarus - Fantastic core infantry and amazing support solo.
Withershadow Combine - Worth it for Puppet Master alone, but their entire suite of abilities is dominant.
Pistol Wraith(s) - Worried about a pesky 'jack or beast? Shut it down for a turn.

ElectricPaladin
03-06-2012, 01:11 PM
Check out the Battle College (http://battlecollege.wikispaces.com/). The website is chock full of great unit profiles and n00b-readable advice.

Jack-Hammer
03-06-2012, 01:50 PM
First choice after the the battle box? I would suggest skarlok, a great model for any caster, and either the book or cards. The book gives you more of the background but the cards give you all the model rule, which will allow you to proxy different models before you buy.

Then to get to 25pts I'd suggest a unit. Most people will probably suggest bane thralls, they are the easiest to use, but any of their units are great. A lot of the strength in Cryx is found in their units & solos

cody
03-06-2012, 02:15 PM
The card pack doesn't include models released for Mk II and later, the book has everything (aside from models introduced in Wrath of course).

Vinsklortho
03-06-2012, 05:36 PM
If Cryx is similar to Ret in this manner then find a really good "module" that people rave about on the internet and then fill the rest of the list with whatever fun stuff sounds interesting to you. By module I mean a combination of caster, unit, solo, and/or jack that have great synergy together and can function regardless of the other parts of the army. For instance in Retribution I run Ravyn, MHSF+UA, and Discordia together. The rest of the army could be made up of whatever I think is cool or fun and it will still work as my primary strategy is in place. With Cryx I imagine including a solid base of Bane Thralls+UA with Bane Lord Tartarus gives a good base to allow you to be creative with the rest of your army.