PDA

View Full Version : Maybe the dumbest space maring question ever...

St. Murphy
03-05-2012, 03:24 PM
In the space maring codex, it says that Tac squads are equipped with bolt pistols [I]and [I] boltguns. Does that mean that I can choose to fire with my bolt pistol instead of the boltgun in the shooting phase and then still assault in the assault phase?

Yes. I'm new and I'm playing codex marines.

MattHoell
03-05-2012, 03:30 PM
Yup. :)

wormark
03-05-2012, 03:37 PM
Yes, that's exactly the point of having both. You would really only choose to fire the bolt pistol if you also wanted to assault. (or had exchanged the bolter for something else)

Hellstorm
03-05-2012, 04:08 PM
It also mean that sergeants who exchange their bolter for a close combat weapon (other than a powerfist) they will get the extra attack for having two weapons.

Hiflt4
03-05-2012, 05:08 PM
Its acually a real nice bone they threw to the current codexes, I rember haveing to choose in the previous chaos codex one or the other.

keithsilva
03-05-2012, 05:15 PM
I remember when u had to buy the pistol lol and grenades lol

Thorn
03-05-2012, 05:29 PM
Thankfully yes. When I first started playing, with AoBR as marines, I would always get annoyed cause I'd run up, rapid fire, and then get charged and murdered by orks :( Never knew at the time that I could shoot 1 less shot and get the charge.

Yriel_The_Angelic
03-05-2012, 06:24 PM
Yeup, sadly they don't have a close combat weapon also....honestly if rambo can carry a knife why can't genetically enchanced super soldiers?

lobster-overlord
03-05-2012, 06:27 PM
It does drop you from two rapid fire short range shots to the one pistol shot, but that's a fair trade off for the ability to assault as well.

The best use of this is with Devastators. I've done it many times where the opponent is in position to assault and I'll shoot and assault with pistols rather than keep firing at big stuff with the devs like they anticipate me to.

jugglingfool
03-05-2012, 06:35 PM
Still upsets me that space wolves got the pistol the ccw and counter attack for a negligible raise in cost. Still don't a sergeant is worth a ccw for the whole squad and counter attack.

Lord Fett
03-05-2012, 07:02 PM
yes it means exactly that.

thecactusman17
03-05-2012, 07:47 PM
Space Wolves got the pistol/CCW because Grey Hunters and Bloodclaws are both made for counter-assault and close quarters fighting. They stay back and kill infantry at range, then mop up whatever comes into contact. They have no heavy weapons, leaving those entirely for their Long Fangs. I can't really fault GW for Space Wolves being a Chaos-style army (that was their whole schtick to begin with, they were still a legion), instead I blame GW for making every codex since even more chaos-inspired or chaos-surpassing in terms of power level without offering a valid lore reason why. Why, for example, are Blood Angels almost as hard to kill as Plague Marines when it was the Imperial Fists who had the "tough as nails and impervious to pain" aspect written into their chapter aspects?

Tiberian
03-05-2012, 09:44 PM
Agreed, vanilla marines are under-handed in their value right now I think compared to other marines

gungagreg
03-05-2012, 10:14 PM
...we vanilla guys will get our 2nd CC weapon...or at least maybe they can take after the IA Siege list and allow tacticals to run with Bolt Pistol and Chain Sword (...oooo, and maybe run our predators and vindicators in squadrons too...):D

AlMalik
03-06-2012, 06:41 AM
SW are diffrent. Much more diffrent ;)

Vashtek
03-06-2012, 07:44 AM
SW are better. Much more better ;)

Corrected your quote to reflect truth :)

Tynskel
03-06-2012, 07:55 AM
Why, for example, are Blood Angels almost as hard to kill as Plague Marines when it was the Imperial Fists who had the "tough as nails and impervious to pain" aspect written into their chapter aspects?

That's simple enough: Imperial Fists don't have the blood of their primarch sitting right next to them.

LordKillian
03-06-2012, 08:25 AM
This is one of the best things about a Vanilla Marines!

Paul
03-06-2012, 11:47 AM
That's simple enough: Imperial Fists don't have the blood of their primarch sitting right next to them.

Drinking blood (primarch or otherwise) gives you FNP? And wouldn't they be out of viable primarch blood after 10,000 years?