PDA

View Full Version : Emergancy Disembark

Kasil
03-05-2012, 04:20 PM
During a wreck result on a damage table, if a squad is unable to disembark from the appropriate points on the vehicle, then they are able to emergency disembark. Further in the rulebook, its says that the squad "can't do anything else this turn."

What does that even mean? Are they pinned? Is it a player turn? This recently came up at an event and I was told the unit was pinned and then they un-pinned in my opponents turn, which was obviously right after my assault phase (when I wrecked the vehicle). Now, I know GW is bad with writing rules, but why bother to put the "can't do anything else" portion in the book if it just ends right after?

Does anybody else know of another way to interpret this?

Thanks.

khsrio621
03-05-2012, 04:30 PM
I think it is exactly as it is written in the book. That unit can't do anything for the rest of the turn. Vehicles won't only be wrecked in the assault phase, emergency disembark is partially to prevent units from assaulting when they disembark improperly.
The ruling doesn't make much sense as (correct me if I'm wrong) pinning implies that the unit is forced to go to ground, which confers cover bonuses, while not being able to do anything does no such thing.

SeattleDV8
03-05-2012, 05:41 PM
It has it's own rules ,similar to pinning
BRB FAQ
Q: When a unit makes an ‘emergency disembarkation’
they cannot do anything else for the rest of the turn.
What does this mean? (p67)
A: It means that they can perform no voluntary actions.
Any action forced upon them, for example from failing
a Morale or Pinning test, they will still carry out and if
assaulted they will fight as normal.

Kasil
03-05-2012, 06:18 PM
Thanks for the clarification, too bad there is no negative effect from forcing an emergency disembark. Guess its surround the vehicle or nothing.

Lord Fett
03-05-2012, 07:11 PM
It seems I am in the minority here but I've always felt that the 'Emergency Disembark' rule is mis-used. In the vehicle section under the results it clearly states that a unit who can't deploy after a wreck is destroyed. Why say that if you can just ED. Emergency Disembark is discussed as a voluntary action you may choose to take in your movement phase so i see it as something you have to choose to do not something that you do in response to being blown out of you tank.
Under that view, and only under that view does the statement about not doing anythig for the rest of the turn even make sense anyway, as you said its also ruled that if you knock them out, then they act normally in their turn.this makes no sense to me.
Few people see it my way however so I don't push the issue because it comes up rarely anyway.

(Braces for the coming verbal assault)

SeattleDV8
03-05-2012, 10:01 PM
It seems I am in the minority here but I've always felt that the 'Emergency Disembark' rule is mis-used. In the vehicle section under the results it clearly states that a unit who can't deploy after a wreck is destroyed. Why say that if you can just ED..
Well first of all it doesn't say that. Any models that can't be placed after a wrecked result are destroyed, not the unit.

Emergency Disembark is discussed as a voluntary action you may choose to take in your movement phase so i see it as something you have to choose to do not something that you do in response to being blown out of you tank..
ED is part of the disembarking rules, the passengers must disembark.
If the access points are blocked the unit may use the ED (unless you are still in the movement phase and moved flat out)

. Under that view, and only under that view does the statement about not doing anythig for the rest of the turn even make sense anyway, as you said its also ruled that if you knock them out, then they act normally in their turn.this makes no sense to me.

That is hardily the only thing that happens, if the vehicle suffers a wrecked result they still have to test for pinning.

wormark
03-05-2012, 10:15 PM
Does an ED mean they can be placed on top of the vehicle? If so, do they take dangerous terrain tests?

I've thought about this scenario before, but never been able to work out what should actually happen.

Nightspawn
03-05-2012, 10:22 PM
Does an ED mean they can be placed on top of the vehicle? If so, do they take dangerous terrain tests?

I've thought about this scenario before, but never been able to work out what should actually happen.

Only if the vehicle is wrecked they passengers would ED. So that means no getting on top of the transport. They would have to use the access pints that the vehicle has.

SeattleDV8
03-05-2012, 11:53 PM

No they cannot be placed on the vehicle.
It's a matter of timing. The rules are on page 67
The vehicle gets a destroyed-wrecked result.
The passengers must disembark.
Any model that can't disembark is destroyed.
Then the vehicle becomes a wreck.
So when the passengers are disembarking the transport is still a vehicle and as such you may not move onto it.BRB pg. 11
A model may not move into or though the space occupied by another model...

demonllamma
03-06-2012, 12:10 AM
No they cannot be placed on the vehicle.
It's a matter of timing. The rules are on page 67
The vehicle gets a destroyed-wrecked result.
The passengers must disembark.
Any model that can't disembark is destroyed.
Then the vehicle becomes a wreck.
So when the passengers are disembarking the transport is still a vehicle and as such you may not move onto it.BRB pg. 11

Indeed, that is the case, citations and all.

Also, the tank is, you know....on fire. I wouldn't want to get on top of it.

Swifty17
03-10-2012, 07:36 PM
The only time emergency disembark has a negative effect is if you wreck yourself during your turn (ie during a ram and you choose/cannot use the normal exit points)