PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite board/card games

Krisken
03-05-2012, 05:02 PM
Hey all, I'm a new user and while I really enjoy 40k I don't get a lot of time to play it. What I do get to do though is play a lot of board/card games every Thursday. Some of my favorites include-

Dominion- So simple and elegant in game design and very easy to pick up and learn.
Castles of Burgundy- I've found a pattern in this game and simply broke it!
Citadels- While I don't win often at it, I really enjoy how this game plays.
7 Wonders- Wish I had more people to play this one with. Only played the basic game but really like it.

So how about the rest of you? Any games that really stand out to you?

Lord Tothe
03-05-2012, 11:50 PM
Board Games:
Axis & Allies, when I can find someone who is willing to play... Not often, unfortunately.
Careers - an old board game from Parker Brothers
Monopoly
Risk
Scrabble & Upwords

Card games:
Rook - all versions
M:TG - but I'm not very good, and don't have many cards
Apples to Apples
Most games played with standard playing cards
MUNCHKIN!

Other:
Scattergories
The Game of Things - always quickly becomes R-rated if not NC-17.

eldargal
03-06-2012, 12:00 AM
Are we counting Warhammer Quest as a board game?:rolleyes:

Krisken
03-06-2012, 12:40 AM
Are we counting Warhammer Quest as a board game?:rolleyes:

Sure, they have an entry at Board Game Geek!

I forgot to mention I love playing Hearts and Tichu, though admittedly I am absolutely awful at Tichu.

eldargal
03-06-2012, 03:04 AM
In that case, Warhammer Quest.:) Never really played many card games beyond poker and canasta. Oh and bridge.

Lord Tothe
03-06-2012, 03:14 AM
In that case, Warhammer Quest.:) Never really played many card games beyond poker and canasta. Oh and bridge.

You must play Apples to Apples ASAP. 'Tis awesome, especially after everyone has had a beer or two.

Joshuawesome
03-06-2012, 06:00 AM
Dominion is an excellent card game that provides a new experience each time you play it just by varying the cards you use.

my only gripe is that the maximum of 4 players means that it's not really a game for large parties

Krisken
03-06-2012, 02:39 PM
Dominion is an excellent card game that provides a new experience each time you play it just by varying the cards you use.

my only gripe is that the maximum of 4 players means that it's not really a game for large parties

That's true. For those nights our group plays things like 7 Wonders or Citadels. Generally 8 players tends to get kinda crazy so we split up into 2 groups for those game nights.

Dark Trainer
03-06-2012, 02:56 PM
Dominion is a favorit, just got the new D&D legends of Drizzt too, turning out to be good.

Dunadan
03-06-2012, 05:42 PM
Heroscape is a fun one, and was my gateway game into tabletop gaming. When I want a less conflict oriented game I usually go for Settlers of Catan/Canaan or Citadels (though that does have its share of conflict, depending on who you play it with).

Krisken
03-07-2012, 01:06 AM
Heroscape is a fun one, and was my gateway game into tabletop gaming. When I want a less conflict oriented game I usually go for Settlers of Catan/Canaan or Citadels (though that does have its share of conflict, depending on who you play it with).

I haven't had the opportunity to play Settlers of Catan. I'm assuming it plays similarly to Castles of Burgundy. Is it a build game that eventually leads to victory points in some fashion?

Oh, played Pandemic the other night. Wow, that one is hard to win at!

Warmaster Primus
03-07-2012, 07:01 AM
Puerto Rico - Great game that doesn't rely of random chance. It's all about the tactical decisions you make. No dice rolling, no random cards.

Small World - Fun land grab game with a light heart, fun races and plenty of tactical maneuvering.

Stone Age
Power Grid
Ticket to Ride
All games my wife and I regularly play.

Really, check out boardgamegeek.com.

Etriagn
03-07-2012, 09:17 AM
Descent (but only when my Dungeons and Dragons group has no time)
Battlestar Galactica
Talisman

Dunadan
03-07-2012, 09:40 AM
I haven't had the opportunity to play Settlers of Catan. I'm assuming it plays similarly to Castles of Burgundy. Is it a build game that eventually leads to victory points in some fashion?

Oh, played Pandemic the other night. Wow, that one is hard to win at!

Never played Castles of Burgundy, but yes, it is a build for points game. However, the presence of the Robber and the Longest Road award introduces an element of indirect conflict between the players.

Krisken
03-07-2012, 02:55 PM
Descent (but only when my Dungeons and Dragons group has no time)
Battlestar Galactica
Talisman

I really like Descent but it takes forever to set up.

Another great game that can take a long time and is also cooperative like Descent is Arkham Horror.

Dunadan
03-07-2012, 03:16 PM
aah, Arkham Horror. First and only game I played I managed to lose the police cab in some alternate dimension :D

Krisken
03-09-2012, 04:07 AM
Played a couple more games tonight I hadn't before. Homesteader, a build/resource game was kind of fun (though I'm still not sure what a winning strategy is after just one game), and Qwirkle, a block game where the various shapes and colors are combined to make patterns that are worth points. I think Qwirkle was a better game (brilliantly simple) but they are definitely different types of games!

Danno
03-09-2012, 12:44 PM
Zombies!!! is always a fun time, especially if you have max players since everyone eventually turns on each other and things get really crazy.

The Real Ghostbusters (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/4893/the-real-ghostbusters-game) boardgame is pretty fun though its also best with max players as the game can be really short with just 2.

Marvel/DC/Image Overpower was a favorite back in highschool, still have all the cards just no one to play against.

The Wrath of Ashardalon has been a good so far. I wouldn't say it's my favorite but it is one of the few games my gf will play with me so I thought it deserved a mention. :)

I've been wanting to play Arkham Horror and I've also had my eye on Super Dungeon Explorer...

Have some fond memories of A&A from military days, some friends and I had a game going for a week! Finally just all decided to quit. Apples to Apples is really fun and I have to agree with Lord Tothe, a few drinks makes the game even better.

Sort Of Purple
03-09-2012, 10:28 PM
ooh lists
Could go on, but current faves

Race for the Galaxy has been a long time favorite of mine.
Dominion, though falling out of favor
Seven Wonders, played recently, seemed fun. Would need to play more.
Arkham Horror, forever favorited.
Star Trek Tactics has caught my eye.

And the almighty Warhammer Quest!!

I wish I played Chaos in the Old World more aswell.

Lord Tothe
03-10-2012, 01:01 AM
I have a fun board game called Solarquest (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solarquest). I also need to find people who play Terrace (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrace_(board_game))

Blaznak
03-10-2012, 01:21 PM
We like playing Zombies. Survive is a great game, too. Magic Wood (very old game) is a hoot. Just tried SPANC and really had fun with it. Tried the D&D Box set stuff and did not enjoy it, though.

Krisken
03-10-2012, 01:24 PM
I liked Zombies but the one time I played it the people had a huge advantage and took out the Zombies pretty easily.

wingedman1
03-10-2012, 01:35 PM
I really love Betrayer at the House on The Hill and Fluxx. Munchin is growing on me. I need to play more.

Danno
03-11-2012, 01:55 PM
Solarquest! I just recently found my copy of the game. Monopoly in Space! Had some fun times with that game. Always dreaded running out of fuel...

Krisken
03-11-2012, 10:54 PM
I really love Betrayer at the House on The Hill and Fluxx. Munchin is growing on me. I need to play more.

Oh, I played Betrayer at the House on the Hill once! We got absolutely mauled by the guy who becomes the Beastmaster. It was fun and an interesting way to play a game... cooperatively until all of a sudden 'Bam'!

Fluxx is great but works best as an in between game (can't really play it all night)

Still have to try Munchkin though.

Iaipunk
03-12-2012, 01:09 PM
My favorite board game:
Tenjo (although my wife and daughters won't play this one)

My family enjoys:
Robo Rally
Talisman
Elixer (card game)
Dominoes

Lord Tothe
03-12-2012, 02:00 PM
Solarquest! I just recently found my copy of the game. Monopoly in Space! Had some fun times with that game. Always dreaded running out of fuel...

Too bad you're way down in CA, or I'd suggest meeting for a game some time.

Joshuawesome
03-13-2012, 10:19 AM
Battlestar is fantastic. especially with a vocal and paranoid group. Each game takes pretty long though so there is a need to set aside time.

I've always wanted to try Arkham horror, but the game looks intimidating. Took a quick read of the rules... very complex game.

TheCoolGuy12
03-16-2012, 09:39 PM
Carcassone! Its a tile laying game with enough mix of random chance and strategy that even my wife will play. Its easy to learn and has plenty of expansions.

setto
03-17-2012, 11:22 AM
i've enjoyed smallworld and dominion as of late.

Danno
03-18-2012, 03:27 PM
@ Lord Tothe: Yeah, that would be cool, it's been tough getting any kind of boardgame play going. People's schedules usually conflict and most games don't really get interesting until you have 4 people playing.

Krisken
03-18-2012, 06:57 PM
I almost always find games with more than 4 players tend to be long nights, the one exception so far being 7 Wonders.

Homesteaders is a great game for 4 players which isn't too time consuming and has a lot of interesting choices/planning involved.

Lord Tothe
03-18-2012, 08:45 PM
I played Drunken Uno last night. Supplies: Uno deck and alcohol.

Krisken
03-19-2012, 12:59 PM
Still a classic, both things :)

Kaiserdean
03-20-2012, 11:14 AM
Axis and Allies is one of my favorite, but only if we have a weekend to play...

Otherwise, I really like Settlers of Catan.

Krisken
03-20-2012, 10:21 PM
Otherwise, I really like Settlers of Catan.
I hear they are going to review that on Shut Up and Sit Down (board/card game review video).

whitehart
03-21-2012, 02:02 PM
Cards against Humanity is my current favourite game! Goes down a treat during boring lectures!

Phototoxin
03-21-2012, 02:03 PM
Shadows over camelot. Brilliant co-op game.

I like munchkin also

Chuck777
03-21-2012, 04:15 PM
Favorite TCG: Magic

Favorite Card Game that isn't collectable: Resident Evil. My friends and I play that game a lot, so much fun! OR Munchkin, loves me some Munchkin!

Favorite Board Game... Trivial Persuit, or Risk if you're looking for more of a Nerdy Board game.

Ash SOTA
03-22-2012, 12:20 AM
My fav board game right now is Dust Tactics, the only problem is finding people to play with.

Krisken
03-22-2012, 03:15 AM
Saw a review on Summoner Wars and it piqued my interest. Has anyone played this and is it any good?

Obergrot
03-22-2012, 03:26 AM
nice littel boardgame to play:
- funkenschlag (powergrid in english). Very simple basic rules, but enough decisions and path from there to make it interesting. Basically you buy powerplants, expand you energy network, buy resources for the powerplants (except for renewable energy) and get money for the amount of cities you supply. Victory goes to the player who can supply the most cities at the end of the game. And since the connections costs vary, the buyable powerplants are random and the resources are of a limited supply (and money every time too little), it gets quite interesting.

Great game

will44
03-22-2012, 01:28 PM
Munchkin!!!! I love that little game so much. It mocks my childhood with D&D without making me feel too bad about myself for loving it.

Also, Settlers of Catan.

Kilcin
03-22-2012, 07:58 PM
Munchkin, Penny Arcade: Gamers vs Evil and Blood Bowl: Team Manager are my favorites right now. I just got Super Dungeon Explore, so I need to try it out to see if it gets included into my favorites.

Lord Tothe
03-22-2012, 09:23 PM
My fav board game right now is Dust Tactics, the only problem is finding people to play with.

Saw that at the game shop. Looks awesome.

Greggle
03-24-2012, 08:11 AM
I just recently got Settlers of Catan: Cities and Knights, and it really makes Catan into a more strategic, cut-throat kind of game. I like it a lot with my friends.

joesavestheday
03-24-2012, 09:00 AM
Settlers of Catan is awesome, and has been my favorite board game since I was introduced to it a little over a year ago. The expansions (Seafarers, Barbarians, etc) are also good and really add some new dimensions to the game. Here's a pretty good review of the game if you're interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTV03kCoDIw Tom Vasel does a really good job with his board game reviews.

I recently picked up Merchants & Marauders but haven't had a chance to play it yet. Has anyone tried this one?

For card games, my favorite is Euchre.

gythku
03-24-2012, 11:26 AM
Robo Rally: so much logic and planning in the turn, so much chaos when some one pushes you one space!

Michalino
03-27-2012, 03:37 AM
settlers of Catan, Talisman

L192837465
09-24-2012, 03:09 PM
It's surprising to me so many people like Settlers. I personally HATE that game. Something just... irks me in exactly the wrong way!

Arkham Horror is so bland. So many rules. I've explained this in depth (not really) in another thread.

My favorites:
Drunken Uno

Drunk/drinking Munchkin (every time you gain or lose a level, you drink a number equal to what level you're at; drink 1 to equip an item; etc)

Twilight Imperium - OH I love this game. So brutal! The expansion makes it perfect, the main box is a little too easy to win, even with 6 players

Dominion - GET THE EXPANSIONS. This game gets very boring after a few dozen play-throughs and the expansions add a bit of dickery into the game. Very fun. Plus, there are homemade rules for more than 4 players (turns get FOREVER long though... you've been warned)

Illuminati - Classic dickery game. Plus it's hilarious. And really hard to play drunk.

Paranoia - I know it's not a classic board game, but it requires a single d20 and some paper and pens at it's absolute core. We play a lot when we're on road trips, since dice don't matter and you can't know rules.

I have so many more, but those are my true boardgame loves.

Wolfshade
09-25-2012, 01:39 AM
See I love Arkham, with all the expansions.

But fury of dracula and ticket to ride are favs.

I don't tend to play card games, but certainly flux and race for the galaxy are good funs

Psychosplodge
09-25-2012, 03:24 AM
I've played fluxx (monty python and zombie) and it can be good.
I really enjoyed playing munchkin in a bar, the more we drank the sillier it got...
I've bought gloom but not played it yet, and had dominion recommended to me.

I really want to try settlers of catan but don't know enough people near enough to me who want to play...

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
09-25-2012, 03:30 AM
I could list the games that I play regularly, but I'd need like 3 pages.
I've played every Fluxx game, Arkham Horror, every Munchkin game, Death Angel, Game of Thrones, Settlers of Catan, Magic the Gathering, etc etc. I'm involved with a lot of gamers.

Wolfshade
09-25-2012, 04:02 AM
I could list the games that I play regularly, but I'd need like 3 pages.
I've played every Fluxx game, Arkham Horror, every Munchkin game, Death Angel, Game of Thrones, Settlers of Catan, Magic the Gathering, etc etc. I'm involved with a lot of gamers.

Involved, or involved

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
09-25-2012, 04:12 AM
Well, only one of them is a chick, and she's a long-term partner of one of my best friends, and probably my best woman friend, so no, I'm not involved like that.

Psychosplodge
09-25-2012, 04:13 AM
Sounds like there's tension there...

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
09-25-2012, 04:17 AM
She's also part of this forum. :p
And the producer of LIZORD HAT.

Tension? Ain't no tension there.
I'm already devoted to one woman, I need not has more.

Psychosplodge
09-25-2012, 04:19 AM
O'rly?
lol, true more than one must bring a sh!tload of hassle...

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
09-25-2012, 04:24 AM
Try 4 at once and get back to me. :p

I was an evil so and watsit when I was younger.

Psychosplodge
09-25-2012, 04:26 AM
I'd rather not, I'm for too lazy to create that much work for myself...

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
09-25-2012, 04:29 AM
Having a minor photographic memory helps.
I never get names and faces confused. :D

I'll take the rest of our discussion to the Off-Topic thread.

Psychosplodge
09-25-2012, 04:45 AM
But we're talking about something far more important there already!

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
09-25-2012, 04:48 AM
Because of what I said.

Wolfshade
09-25-2012, 04:49 AM
Hav you guys played Saboteur?

Psychosplodge
09-25-2012, 04:52 AM
No what is it?

Wolfshade
09-25-2012, 05:02 AM
It is a card game, co-op (sort of) the idea is you are all miners and there are a random number of saboteurs (the range is based on the number of players), there are 3 deposits 7 spaces from the mine entrance, and the idea is to play cards to get to the deposit. So you play cards which are mine tunnels to join a path across to them. The saboteur must stop the players reaching them. But, if you know who they are you can disable them, so they have to be sneaky. But it is not that simple so while all the miners are working together to get the gold, they are also working against each other asthe person who connects to the deposite gets the most gold and it goes around in a clockwise fashion, so while you are trying to get to the gold, you want it to be set up so that you claim the gold and not the person after you (as you'll end up with the least amount)