PDA

View Full Version : How to paint Daemons with washes only?

Order_from_Chaos
03-06-2012, 04:06 PM
Hey there! I am starting a daemons army and I am going to try to paint the whole army using 90% washes. This is because I have seen it successfully done for other armies such as lizardmen. My question is are there any tips and tricks to get a really good looking army? are there other brands of washes that will work to add more variety to the colors of my models? and how would I go about blending colors on models such as flamers?

anyways any help is welcome

thanks!

DanteSuper
03-07-2012, 02:28 AM
Well... I'll tell you what I have done to my Bloodletters... I Painted the skin Red Blood, the tongue Shadow Grey, the horns and claws black, the sword black with Blazing Orange for the flamming effect, the hilt with Drawf Bronze and then wash them all up with Badab Black! Looks good. Of course you don't have the use the same colors...

Etriagn
03-07-2012, 09:12 AM
With Plaguebearers and Horrors I could imagine using a great deal of washes, perhaps with Daemonettes as well.

You could start with white base coat, and for Horrors just use 1 color (pinkish-blueish) and then paint just the details (eyes, claws, flames etc)
Plaguebearers are a bit trickier, with a base coat of Graveyard Earth or Snakebite Leather and following with Green Ink you would get a "classic" look (again with details extra)

fuzzyguy
03-07-2012, 03:49 PM
Hello,

I've painted up nurgle daemons, blood letters, and daemonettes using mostly washes with a fair amount of success. Start with a white primer coat of coarse for all of them.

The nurgle daemons were washed selectively with Thraka Green and Devlan Mud. Devlan Mud was used liberally in shadowy areas. Baal Red was used predominately on any pustules with Gryphon Sepia used to shade. Pick things out here and there if you like and voila! Army painted in a few days.

The blood letters were base coated with an airbrush blood red, washed completely with Baal Red, washed in the recesses with Devlan Mud, and for really dark areas washed with Thrakka Green. The weapons were painted with Shining Gold and washed with Devlan Mud but care was taken to pull the mud in such a way as to provide highlights on the metal with the shining gold.

Daemonettes were sprayed with Hormagaunt Purple, washed with a very thinned down Thrakka Green in the deepest shadows and recesses, washed with Leviathan Purple over the rest of the model and particularly heavy on the crab claws. They were then highlighted up with very thin elf flesh for their extreme highlights and to bring some colour out on their skin.

Hope that helps!

DarkLink
03-07-2012, 04:34 PM
Alernitively for nurgle, I've painted them (corpses on a couple of my GK models) a light green, then a heavy devlin mud wash. It worked pretty well.

faolan
03-07-2012, 09:16 PM
Is it that you mostly want to use washes, or you mostly want to use non-opaque painting style? Because if it's the latter, I'd recommend throwing in usage of transparent paints (they're like inks, only thinner) for giving you a lot more variation without much work.

I_R_Chaos
03-22-2012, 07:16 AM
Daemons are one of the best armies for using washes in my opinion. I painted a Khorne daemon army for an escalation league and it didn't take very long at all. First a solid coat of mechrite red on the skin, sunburst yellow eyes, enchanted blue tongue, black horns and some other details. Then wash everything with badab black.

I painted a unit of the old horrors in a similar way and they turned out pretty well. I started with a solid coat of tentacle pink, washed it with baal red, drybrushed with tentacle pink, then painted the details and washed the mouths with badab black.

Since daemons are mostly flesh washes work really well.

gruubii
03-22-2012, 08:49 AM
My experience has been that if you can get a good base coat with daemons, washes will do a lot of working for you, particularly the deepening of the reds and shading of bright colors without diminishing the color.

1crazygamer
03-28-2012, 07:52 AM
I'd suggest using the Army Painter spray paints as a base coat and using the Secret Weapon Washes over that in different layers. I used Dragon Red as a base and added the red washes from Secret weapon to them. Ruby wash, Red-Black wash, Drying Blood wash and Just Red wash together really made my red colored daemon minis look fantastic!

muse1c
04-07-2012, 01:45 AM
If you're looking to go for a quick, wash orientated paint style, then as has been mentioned, I'd invest in some inks or even glaze medium (or knock up your own).
Just be careful with Devlan Mud and Badab Black in particular, I've seen units go horribly wrong when people are too...enthusiastic with their washing!

Cheers

Heavybolterbob
04-16-2012, 01:47 PM
Here's a photo of some Plaguebearers I did with almost all washes:

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg238/heavybolterbob/Commision%20Painting/DSC_2739.jpg

I did 5 of these in one evening for a friend of mine....traded painting these for some minis he had. I've done a couple of other models using almost exclusively washes. A friend of mine painted all of his Bloodletters with 90% washes, but it was a non-standard color scheme. He painted them a dark blueish black and they look awesome.....and they went very fast for him. ANY time you want to do an entire model with washes I'd use a white primer. I'd then hit the entire model with a sepia was or a flesh wash to give you some shading. I usually use sepia. After that, it really depends on what effect you're after. I did an all wash test Bloodletter a while back but it wasn't what I was after. Here's what my next test will be: Prime white, shade entire model with sepia wash. hit entire model with 2 parts red wash and one part blood red, lightly wash whole model with black or devlan mud wash, wash again with red or red mix, lightly drybrush model with a lighter orange color....then paint the detail bits and weapon. My first test was a bit drab and dull....I think this would brighten it up. Hope this helps some