PDA

View Full Version : sugestions for IG

sicarius2424
09-17-2009, 08:21 PM
i have a old ig army 4th ed (not so old:p) but right now i plan on buying a cadian battle force and the new codex, and possiably valkyreie, and leman russ demolisher, right now i have a hq command(2 power swords 2 bolt pistols melta banner medic master vox) , squad stormtroopers(grenade launcher flamer infiltrate), tech preist, 2 platoons 25 men each (autocannon missle launcher or the first and mortar heavy bolter) infantry squads have grenade launchers one platoon hq has grenade launcher the other has 2 flamers to be my assult flamer unit the officer has power sword and plasmanot by choice) one small veteran squad(melta and plasma), a chimera, 2 leman russ's (lascannon, heavy bolters, advanced comms,trackguards for both, rough terrain mod for one) any sugestions (trying to check out my options) :confused:

sad to say i have never won a game :mad::eek: i play against a freind who has tau and space marines but i want to bee good against other armies too just in case.

right now we are playing a map based campaign of 550pts with the territories giving extra points but we play what ever point value we feel like usually 1500pts

Eyespy
09-17-2009, 09:48 PM
sad to say i have never won a game.

The new codex will change this. Look at Veteran squads in Chimeras or Valkeries as they get multiple special weapons at BS4.

I would stay away from the battle force unless you really need a new HQ squad. Pick up individual squad boxes to fill out the gaps in your models. GW sells direct order blosters of meltaguns and plasmaguns if you need extra special weapons.

Demolishers are great for their Rear armour 11 and the new kit is very nice.

crazyredpraetorian
09-18-2009, 12:44 AM
The Valk is a great choice. It will give you the mobility you need in 5th ed. You might try getting some Hydras, they are deadly. Also, the psyker battle squad is very effective in a chimera.

Grabnutz
09-18-2009, 01:11 AM
Nah... paint them red and turn to Chaos :)

sicarius2424
09-18-2009, 04:57 AM
never!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad :

Glocknal
09-18-2009, 08:35 AM
The battle force is not a bad buy for this reason. You get an sentinal, nice for outflanking with an autocannon. The command squad is redundant, but you can always trade/sell them. You'll get 4 more special weapons in the form of an GL and flamer. You'll need plently of those in the new guard army. Finally you get 3 Heavy weapon bases. If you have an army as old as mine, you'll find that these extra heavy weapons are good for your blobbed infantry platoons.

I'd make sure you invest in a couple chimers first, and a valk.

SandWyrm
09-18-2009, 09:54 AM
sad to say i have never won a game :mad::eek: i play against a freind who has tau and space marines but i want to bee good against other armies too just in case.

If not-winning is your problem, then I wouldn't buy huge amounts of anything until you sort out your army list first. Buying battle-forces and Russes without a good idea of what they should do in your army is a recipe for frustration. I've been there, and I ended up quitting the hobby in frustration for several years.

Instead, start making small changes to your current list. Most newish players buy too many upgrades for their command squads and vehicles. Go lean. Your Company Commander shouldn't have any upgrades at all. Spend the points on weapons for his squad. You may be wasting as many as 150-200 points in wargear you'll never use. With Guard, more numbers always beats better quality. Buy another Chimera. Shuffle things around so that you have 2 Chimeras with Vets inside. Give each of those vets 3 meltas and put a hull heavy flamer on the Chimera. They'll be your new favorite units. If you're playing a full unit of 10 Stormtroopers, make them 2 units of 5 with 2 meltas each and deep strike them to kill enemy armor.

With these few changes, you'll have a much more tactical force. Start thinking about your army as a single organism. The Chimera-Vets and Stormies are the hammer, which strikes out at your foe and seizes or contests objectives. Your platoons then become the anvil, who dig in and pound the enemy with fire. Your Russes are the pivot. They can contribute to the thrust or dig in and pound the enemy as needed.

And then... PLAY! If you're getting in one game a month now, go find a game store and battle someone at least once a week. Stick at it and you'll start winning games eventually. If someone beats you, ask what you could have done better. With time, you'll have a better idea of what new units, if any, you should buy. Keep this up for a year and you'll see a definite improvement. In my case I went from where you are now to winning the local 'Ard Boyz in just 47 games. Which may seem like a lot, but that's only 11 months of gaming once a week.

TSINI
09-18-2009, 09:55 AM
firstly, the battleforce is a great buy, gives you plenty of cool parts, especially the command squad sprue, theres a meltagun and plasma gun in there :D

i do wanna ask though, what points level do you play regularly?

are we talking 500 point forces, or 2000pts, or 3000+

also, if you're not a fan of this idea of streamlining veteran squads etc, get involved with the platoons, buy conscript squads as shields

i find all this talk of veterans with carapace boring, i personally go for a squad of 20 conscripts in front of my infantry squads. them just being in the way gives my other units 4+ cover saves. the conscripts soak up damage, and they slow enemy assaults. also if by some miracle they last till late in the game, they can march onto objectives along with all my other troops.

the problem with platoons is they are costly, so for tiny games you either need to go bare on equipment and just spam troops, or go short on men and take a few slightly harder veteran squads.

but for larger games, definately get in there with platoons of infantry with hvy weapons, hvy weapon squads, and conscript shields.

Grabnutz
09-19-2009, 11:32 AM
never!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad :

And there's an advertisement for Khorne is I ever saw one :D