PDA

View Full Version : Help me build a vampire character-killer

waaght
03-07-2012, 08:35 AM
Hey guys, I am trying to build a vampire hero that I can charge at a unit, challenge whatever character is in it, and kill them in the challenge. Ideally, the vampire would be mounted on a nightmare or a hellsteed. What items and vampiric powers should I give this guy? Is this concept even feasible for a hero level vampire?

Igmar
03-07-2012, 11:56 AM
Forgive me for not remembering all the names of the items/powers but what I've been running with great success is:

Vampire Lord
-Heavy Armor

-Enchanted Shield
-Talisman of Protection (4+ ward)
-Ogre Sword (+2 STR)

-Red Fury
-Vamp power that gives you +2 WS
-Vamp power that gives you always strike first

-On dragon, nightmare, or hellsteed... pick your poison. I prefer the dragon as it's just an amazing model, but that -1 for enemy's to hit is amazing at WS 9 as now everything that's WS 4 or less needs 6's to hit him, and 5's to hit the dragon. They can take on whole blocks of infantry by themselves.

This is a brutal combo as it gives you a 2+/4+ save, STR 7 and always strike first, which usually means re-rolls to hit, making your hits count, and with Red Fury, for every wound you cause you get an extra attack. I've had him kill several big-name characters and other lords before they even get to strike back.

waaght
03-07-2012, 03:15 PM
Forgive me for not remembering all the names of the items/powers but what I've been running with great success is:

Vampire Lord
-Heavy Armor

-Enchanted Shield
-Talisman of Protection (4+ ward)
-Ogre Sword (+2 STR)

-Red Fury
-Vamp power that gives you +2 WS
-Vamp power that gives you always strike first

-On dragon, nightmare, or hellsteed... pick your poison. I prefer the dragon as it's just an amazing model, but that -1 for enemy's to hit is amazing at WS 9 as now everything that's WS 4 or less needs 6's to hit him, and 5's to hit the dragon. They can take on whole blocks of infantry by themselves.

This is a brutal combo as it gives you a 2+/4+ save, STR 7 and always strike first, which usually means re-rolls to hit, making your hits count, and with Red Fury, for every wound you cause you get an extra attack. I've had him kill several big-name characters and other lords before they even get to strike back.

That sounds pretty cool. I actually hadn't even considered the dragon... I'll have to try it out. My original question was in regards to a vampire hero rather than a lord. I am willing to sacrifice most of the armor/ward saves in favor of killiness, but I am still struggling with optimizing the 50pts of vampiric powers and magic items. Any thoughts on what to give a hero? Also, I notice that you took magic items that give your character extra strength rather than extra attacks. As vampires are already high strength, why did you go with that option?

Igmar
03-07-2012, 03:34 PM
Oh, my bad, I guess I missed the hero part... I'm not usre what I would do at that point, maybe just scale down all the extras. I ususally run my hero vamps as magic and support characters, leave the killing to the lords.

Well, the +2 WS has less impact on the hero vamp compared to the lord, and always strike first is more of a bonus, and again more usefull on the lord, so I think you can just stick with Red Fury (the best fighter power in my opinion)... as far as gear, I've always found defense to be a priority over offense, especially on vamps since they provide so much support to the rest of your army. Red Fury and Armor of Destiny is a very solid combo, give him a shield and let him loose. Pure offense is rough cause you can't give your vamps much basic armor, heavy and shield only gets you so far... now barded on a steed helps a lot here, so if you go that route, I'd stick with +STR weapons, or the twin blades for the WS10 and +1 attack is really nice too. If you end up having the points, the +3 STR potion is AMAZING for that one turn kill something big and tough.

I always go with strength weapons over attacks cause if you want a character killer you need the strength to wound, and the extra strength cuts through their armor save as well. Wounding chaos lords on 2's and -5 to their armor save is brutal. Take the extra attacks if you plan on swathing through troops, but you'll need the STR vs other heros/lords and monsters.