PDA

View Full Version : Impaler Cannons

Angelofblades
03-08-2012, 05:20 PM
Apologies if this has been asked before, but I did not find it in the Search function (plugged in Impaler Cannons). But I heard that according to the new FAQ, the Hive Guard Impaler Cannons ignore all artificial cover saves for units. IE Flat Out, Shield of Sanguinius, Ork KFF, Tau Disruptor pods etc.

I read the faq, and the entry says it's against wounds...how does that interact against vehicles and these cover saves?

AbusePuppy
03-08-2012, 06:39 PM
p.62

"If [a vehicle]... suffers a hit, it may take a cover save against it exactly as if a non-vehicle model would do against a wound." (Emphasis mine.)

The FAQ ruling only explicitly specifies wounds, but the vehicle rules cause that to carry over to the vehicle exactly as you would expect.

Tynskel
03-08-2012, 06:53 PM
Now, only if they allowed the Prime to join warrior squads in pods... Who says that the hive mind cannot mutate a warrior into a super warrior on the way down...

CrimsonTurkey
03-08-2012, 08:26 PM
Now, only if they allowed the Prime to join warrior squads in pods... Who says that the hive mind cannot mutate a warrior into a super warrior on the way down...

Who says the hive mind can't say "You there! Yes, you! The prime in the corner. Go stand with those guys over there."

Tynskel
03-08-2012, 10:03 PM
well, that's not how the pods work... the squad is grown in the pod, hence why if you take a pod, you MUST deploy with the pod.

However... the Prime is a warrior... it makes sense the prime not being in a hormogaunt squad, but, not in a warrior squad...

Wolfshade
03-09-2012, 09:04 AM
I've now got the idea of a hormogaunt prime. :eek:

dwez
03-09-2012, 09:11 AM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_dZ-GLhcvuoQ/TSxPmNP05RI/AAAAAAAAAeQ/1yrFeuNcAZE/s1600/spore.gif

I think the reason behind a Prime not joining a unit was because folk were adding him to a Carnifex in a pod which invokes the 50% rule where you take the higher score BS WS of the unit that is equivalent to 50%. Thus giving the Carnifex the BS of the Prime, hence Alpha Warrior rule but not on Warriors. Or so I understand it.

Suddenly this gap in the play testing made this tactic too pawerful so they decided to axe it. Instead of just saying a Prime couldn't fit in a pod with a Monstrous Creature. Fluff wise you could say the pod couldn't mutate a Prime with the rest of the Warriors but if it can mutate a unit with mixed Deathspitters and Barbed Strangler/Venom Cannon this is a pretty weak reason. In fact this reason is only one I've heard come from the community, I've never seen it written by GW that way. But I may be wrong in all this...

But there's all sorts of stupid things in the 'nid Codex, the Doom of Malantai being the super equivalent of a Zoanthrope - the Tyranid Brain Bug except the Doom, the biggest Brain Bug of them all ISN'T a Synapse Creature!? Stupid.

L192837465
03-09-2012, 09:39 AM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_dZ-GLhcvuoQ/TSxPmNP05RI/AAAAAAAAAeQ/1yrFeuNcAZE/s1600/spore.gif

I think the reason behind a Prime not joining a unit was because folk were adding him to a Carnifex in a pod which invokes the 50% rule where you take the higher score BS WS of the unit that is equivalent to 50%. Thus giving the Carnifex the BS of the Prime, hence Alpha Warrior rule but not on Warriors. Or so I understand it.

You're not playing the same game I am. Ability scores are only used en masse for wounds dealt by incoming fire. That's about it. The carni still uses its own bs to shoot.

dwez
03-09-2012, 01:58 PM
You're not playing the same game I am. Ability scores are only used en masse for wounds dealt by incoming fire. That's about it. The carni still uses its own bs to shoot.

My bad then, I guess I misunderstood, but there was something hooky about Primes getting into bed with Carnifex.

That's it [at least], the Prime gets the Toughness value of the Carnifex and the Carnifex gets the Primes WS [multiple toughness values, pg38 and units with different WS, pg37] was what I had read about.

Caldera02
03-09-2012, 02:49 PM
My bad then, I guess I misunderstood, but there was something hooky about Primes getting into bed with Carnifex.

That's it [at least], the Prime gets the Toughness value of the Carnifex and the Carnifex gets the Primes WS [multiple toughness values, pg38 and units with different WS, pg37] was what I had read about.

Majority values come into play for WS, T and Init. BS is per model. LD is highest in squad. M is slowest model. S is by model. Wounds is by model. Attacks and saves also by model. Did I miss any?

I never understood thier reasoning on the no Alpha in the pod ruling. You can't join him to a carni in a pod but you can on foot because the pod rule states 20 models or one carni. I don't see what is so broken about having him attached to warriors in a pod. Silly.

Tynskel
03-09-2012, 03:49 PM
Remember, GW rules by fluff. So, the monsters are being grown in the pod.

However, it still doesn't explain why the Prime cannot be in the same pod as warriors, considering the prime is a warrior.

SeattleDV8
03-09-2012, 06:13 PM
I agree, that was one of many bad calls in the 'Nid FAQ.

AbusePuppy
03-09-2012, 10:07 PM
I think the reason behind a Prime not joining a unit was because folk were adding him to a Carnifex in a pod which invokes the 50% rule where you take the higher score BS WS of the unit that is equivalent to 50%. Thus giving the Carnifex the BS of the Prime, hence Alpha Warrior rule but not on Warriors. Or so I understand it..
Aside from the other ways this is wrong that were already mentioned, this also exceeds the Spore's carrying capacity. A Spore has room for one MC or twenty infantry models. If you put a Carnifex in it, that's all she wrote- there is not enough space for the Prime to go as well.

The "but squads are grown in the Spore" rationale has never made any sense to me. Why can't the Prime simply be grown in the Spore as well?

Tynskel
03-09-2012, 11:06 PM
you could try to think that, but nope, I don't see dogs growing in a cat's womb, and neither does GW. :)

dwez
03-10-2012, 02:11 AM
you could try to think that, but nope, I don't see dogs growing in a cat's womb, and neither does GW. :)

But I've never seen that written down. It's not in the Codex and it's not in the FAQ. Even if they are ruled by fluff I've never seen it written by GW as that, aside from players suggesting that's the fluffy reason why. It seems to me that GW made a decision and we tried to rationalise something with the only excuse that could fit something that didn't make sense - that it's fluff.

Of course if they've written it down somewhere purely as fluff then fine, I'm mistaken, but it would seem that 'The only limitation of a dedicated transport is that when it is deployed it can only carry the unit it was selected with (plus any ICs).' Doesn't apply to 'nids, just every other race. For that reason I believe this is a rule that is amended to be different to the core rule set to the disadvantage of the Tyranid player. It might have been nice to have had a little clarification for this answer, a simple 'No' just doesn't cut it in my book and that's all you get in the FAQ, not "it can't grow mixed units in a pod", see:

Q: If a Tyranid unit takes a Mycetic Spore, can an Independent Character join the brood before deployment (and hence deep strike in with the brood)?
A: No.