PDA

View Full Version : glade guard can kill what?

planet psyrum
03-10-2012, 03:20 AM
I started this thread to make a list of units that a 20 model unit of glade guard should go from two ranks of ten to 4 ranks of 5 for, to try and win combat. I bring this up because i recently played lizard men, and a unut if cold ones charged my unit, and wiped them out. I lost combat by 4. He charged, and had a banner, and killed 5 glade guard. I had a banner and killed one of him in my stand and shoot, and had a rank. I rolled a six and fled. My thought is if I move them from 2 ranks to 4, I probably don't kill one of his cold ones Ub the stand and shoot. So he would still have a combat res of 7. I would have a combat res of 3 still. However if I did get the kill in the stand and shoot, then i would have combat res of 4 and pass my ld test. Which would be awesome to tie up that unit for a counter charge.

So I want your imput. What units should i or shouldnt reform? So numbers of models in an enemy unit matter? The type if unit and so on?

Azazel
03-11-2012, 05:39 PM
Alright, there are several questions and issues with your post.

Stand and shoot casualties do not count towards combat resolution. It only helps to kill models charging you and if you kill enough to keep them from charging....

On a separate note, when facing things such as cavalry is always best to have more ranks than they do so, even if you lose combat your unit is steadfast (stubborn) and this will keep you from breaking from monsters and cavalry units (or any unit that has less ranks than you do). So, in general, more ranks is always good, this is why big horde blocks have become useful because you get an extra rank but, still got enough staying power to get your 3 rank combat resolution bonus....

By the way, you can always start with two ranks and once the enemy gets closer reform to 5 frontage formation or, if your unit have volley fire then, you can start with a frontage of 5 and get 1/2 shots from models past the second rank....

Stepfan
03-16-2012, 11:30 AM
To be honest, as a long time wood elf player myself... I almost never reform the GG(glade guard) to a brick. I suppose usually against things with low ranks such as Cavalry to retain steadfast. Against a larger brick of infantry you're probably wasting your time.

Lind99009
05-31-2012, 09:15 PM
Agreed Stepfan. As another long time Wood Elf player, I have found that reforming the GG just is not worth it.

Thornblood
06-06-2012, 05:26 AM
I think the same can go for any shooting unit (not HE seaguard mind). Your not likely to win any combats against heavy cavalry normally. Either do something else with units to counter the cavalry first, or help them with magic (augment you, hex them, direct damage them in the magic phase.

If your not on your board edge and they are coming at you from a distance, sometimes its good to pick flee as a charge reaction, buying you a chance to charge them the following turn. If you have a unit to do so.

AccutaneT
06-18-2012, 11:31 AM
I'm new here , nice thread!