PDA

View Full Version : Are Night Goblins viable as a competative army?

Blaznak
03-10-2012, 01:18 PM
Hey folks. I'm having fun putting together/painting a more or less Night Goblin force. Lots of archers, spears, a unit of 4 trolls, some wizzies, that sort of thing.

I know I will have lots of fun using it in pick-up games, local stuff, etc. However, is such a thing tournament viable? What needs to get added in? Taken out? Any must have orc stuff to sprinkle in?

Thanks for any thoughts on this regard!

Cherub
03-10-2012, 03:52 PM
You will want a bigger unit of trolls than that. And make sure you have lots of artillery. A friend runs an all night goblin army and it is a blast. and don't forget the squigs.

blak43
03-15-2012, 06:25 PM
I suggest getting one or two mangler squigs, maybe not so much for the competitive side, but they are very low points and lots of fun.

Drakkan Vael
03-26-2012, 03:53 AM
I run an all goblin army myself, mainly 200 nightgoblins with fanatics in every unit. Some cheap characters, wizards, and artillery it is funt to watch my opponents running around, trying to avoid the fanatics.
The army can work wonders but you have to stay focused and accept the chaos it usually creates with your battleplan.
Apart from that, cheap spear throwers, rock lobbers, spider riders (flanking), trolls and mangler squigs can dish out tremendous amounts of pain.

Legoklods
03-26-2012, 05:39 AM
You might have some problems once you get to taking leadership tests. consider just one orc warboss so you have a general with ld 9. And for the love of Gork (or Mork) never leave without a BSB

Drakkan Vael
03-27-2012, 04:34 AM
Yes, they run away if they need to test. But 40 to 50 goblins have to suffer quite a lot of losses until they need to test. Take standards that allow rerolls or otherwise improve the moral. - or increase the unit size to 60 or 80.
An orc as general would be best but to me that simply does not fit the theme.