PDA

View Full Version : New Dwarf Player 2400 vs All Comers for Tournament

Nick Soapdish
03-11-2012, 08:49 AM
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for looking at my list. I'm a player of 40k that has recently jumped into Fantasy Battles. I'd love some help with my list below.

A lot of my list is based off of models I already have such as the Rune Lord (RL) and Anvil of Doom (AoD), about 35 Warriors/Longbeards (LB), some 10-15 Thunderers (not completely built yet, but I like the look of the handguns better than the crossbows), 20 miners, 1 Organ Gun (OG) and Cannon.

RL – AoD, MRoBalance, RoSpellBreaking, RoSpelleating, RoShielding – 465
Master Engineer – Brace of Pistols, Great Weapon – 84
21 Thunderers – Shields and Hand Weapons, Full Command with Brace of Pistols – 340
26 Warriors – Great Weapons, Full Command - 285
27 LB – Great Weapons, Full Command with Runic Standard RoCourage and RoSanctuary – 426
20 Miners – Full Command with Steamdrill - 270
Cannon – Engineer, RoBurning, RoForging – 145
Grudge Thrower – Engineer, RoPenetrating, RoAccuracy – 145
2 OG – 240

I’ve only played a few games against some High Elves and Warriors of Chaos in games around 1250pts. So my tactical thoughts aren’t based on a lot of experience. I was thinking that the ME could form in with the Thunderers and could function as a wall for the Cannon and GT positioned to one side of the table. Miners I would hope for a second turn Flank or Rear charge on approaching units with help from the AoD. The LBs and Warriors would march out and try to assist each other on the battlefield.

Without much experience, I’m sure my tactics sound rather simplistic. I’d love any advice on the list (taking into account what I already own) and any helpful tactics for a new player. I am interested in possibly buying some of the Slayer like models from Avatars of War. I imagine I can do this if I drop the LBs and make them Warriors as well as a few other small changes for points. Also, I wouldn't be opposed to changing my Thunderers to Quarrelers/Rangers if needed.

Thanks for the help.

black_numenorean
03-21-2012, 10:09 PM
I would drop the LB's and get those slayers! I like the GT and OG along with the RL setup.

T-ORK-amada
03-21-2012, 10:41 PM
I would split the hand gunners into 2 units or make them a ranger unit. Your big guns are enough for large units and monsters.

damage
03-22-2012, 05:38 AM
I love me some slayer fluf, but big blocks tend to get targeted by enemy missiles and then die in droves. I've been trying out using smaller units as redirectors, flank chargers, and warmachine protectors with some success, but that is me just trying to use minis I love.

Nick Soapdish
03-23-2012, 10:26 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I'm going to play around with some lists this weekend and try to change the thunderers to rangers. I will also drop the LBs and throw in some slayers.

What's the best way to kit out a slayer unit? Also, should I drop the Master Engineer for a Dragon Slayer?

Brother Glacius
03-23-2012, 10:37 AM
I think it is a solid list if maybe a bit WM heavy. Organ guns never seem to pan out well. At most you are looking at 10 shots. A grudge thrower, especially in today's meta, is much more effective at taking out troops. I'd easily drop a OG and go for a GC instead. The template will hit more and you can use it to harrass. And drop the brace. Having them removes a long range shot, and the extra attack in cc isn't going to sway it one way or the other.