PDA

View Full Version : Grey Knights Scouts

Aenir
09-18-2009, 09:11 PM
Do the Grey Knights have scouts?

I know its usually younger people who are made into marines, but it also is said that only expirienced psykers are allowed to be GKs, in which case they would seem (to me) to be older?

Lord Inquisitor
09-19-2009, 07:59 PM
I assume that after an initiate is trained he immediately becomes a Grey Knight without having to fight without power armor.

ThePov
09-19-2009, 08:09 PM
Well, I've never seen any mention of them in any sort of offical fluff... I assume that the selection and training regimen of the Grey Knights is so intensive and dangerous, the additional time spent training as a scout is unessecary. It's not like you HAVE to start as a scout, look at the Space Wolves. Last time I checked (which was admittedly before the new codex came out, so I could be wrong), they give their trainees power armor immdieatly, as only veterans are scouts.

Aenir
09-20-2009, 03:49 PM
really? I thought they had scouts AND veterans in that kinda armor

Lord Inquisitor
09-20-2009, 04:26 PM
I'm quite positive the only armor used by Grey Knights is Power Armor and Terminator Armor.

TSINI
09-20-2009, 04:31 PM
So they wouldnt be drafted from other chapters like the ordos xenos deathwatch teams etc? I know it would be a tall order drafting in the whole chapter, but I figured you have to have a particular hatred for the chaos daemons to even be considered for service in the grey knights.

DarkLink
09-20-2009, 04:33 PM
Yeah, Space Wolves have hotblooded youngters as scouts they throw into battle (to weed out the overzealous ones), and then veterans who are experienced hunters.

Grey Knights don't have scouts for two reasons. Firstly, there isn't really a job for scouts to do. Grey Knights are too busy to send a squad to scout out the battlefield, especially if there aren't any Daemons there yet. The Grey Knights get a call from an Inquisitor with all the information they need, then they teleport in, kill everything, and dissapear. In a sense the Inquisitor's spy network acts as scout for the Grey Knights.

Secondly, all Grey Knight neophytes are too busy with their intensive training. Not only do they go through the normal SM training, but also training similar to Astartes Librarians. And on top of that, they have the Rites of Detestation to ensure their purity and loyalty to the Emperor. By the time they finish all this training, they are already on a level beyond that of a normal Space Marine, and are simply granted Power Armor and a place in a squad of other Grey Knights.

Aenir
09-20-2009, 04:43 PM
ahh, but there are scouts/neophytes?

thats what i was trying to get to :D

Kahoolin
09-20-2009, 07:48 PM
There would have to be neophytes (everyone has to start somewhere right?), but I thought the whole scout armour thing was a step in the marine's bio-engineering before his body can be linked up fully with power armour?

To me it would seem to make more sense that Grey Knights are either sourced from other chapter's potential librarians (in which case they've already been through the scout stage of development) or they are trained in psychic techniques etc right up until they are ready to be deployed in power armour. As others have said, there doesn't really seem to be a need for Grey Knights to have scouts, they aren't a force that operates on a strategic level at all, more like a weapon that's pointed at the bad guys.

Then again who says sense has anything to do with anything? ;)

Xas
09-20-2009, 07:59 PM
from my knowledge putting newbies into scout armor is a thing the codex marines do to train their members and not because it is required.

afaik an ultramarine/alike goes the following route (if he survives):

scout: observe the battlefield, watch the others do the job and try not to get killed.
devastor: now you are granted power armor and real weapons but your job is still to just sit in a convenient spot and do target practice with moving targets from afar.
assoult marines: now you should have had enough decades of training in the sparing room as well as enough experience on the battlefield to know what is going on so you can show and further improve your melee abilities with dedicated gear.

tactical: finally with all your skills honed you are deployed as the perfect allrounder.

veterans, terminator, officers: just the rest
dreadnought: if you get hit in a spot where the power armor isnt thick enough....

Aenir
09-20-2009, 08:08 PM
yeah, i was just wondering :D

I was in a mini arguement with a GK player about this point

jeffersonian000
09-20-2009, 10:29 PM
There are no scouts in the Grey Knights. Our neophytes wear power armour, our brethren lead power armoured squads, our veterans wear tactical dreadnought armour, our sergeants lead Terminator squads, and our captains are Grand Masters. We are the elite. We are the Hammer.

SJ

Aenir
09-21-2009, 12:14 AM
so reg marines in GK = neophytes/scouts?

i guess we were both right :) (and wrong)

Shadow Queen
09-21-2009, 08:20 AM
I thought young wolfs were blood claws, and the vets were forward scouts.

Lord Inquisitor
09-21-2009, 10:14 AM
Also Grey Knights are not recruited from other chapters. They are taken from worlds much in the same way as other chapters.

wittdooley
09-21-2009, 10:40 AM
from my knowledge putting newbies into scout armor is a thing the codex marines do to train their members and not because it is required.

afaik an ultramarine/alike goes the following route (if he survives):

scout: observe the battlefield, watch the others do the job and try not to get killed.
devastor: now you are granted power armor and real weapons but your job is still to just sit in a convenient spot and do target practice with moving targets from afar.
assoult marines: now you should have had enough decades of training in the sparing room as well as enough experience on the battlefield to know what is going on so you can show and further improve your melee abilities with dedicated gear.

tactical: finally with all your skills honed you are deployed as the perfect allrounder.

veterans, terminator, officers: just the rest
dreadnought: if you get hit in a spot where the power armor isnt thick enough....

I think this is actually a bit backwards. I think you have scouts right, but I believe most go from scout to tactical, and from there both assault and devastator are futher specialized than regular tactical marines.

DarkLink
09-21-2009, 11:30 AM
ahh, but there are scouts/neophytes?

thats what i was trying to get to :D

Well, of course there are Neophytes. Marines come from somewhere, don't they. The Neophytes just don't participate in battles like in most other chapters.

The AKH
09-29-2009, 08:04 PM
I think this is actually a bit backwards. I think you have scouts right, but I believe most go from scout to tactical, and from there both assault and devastator are futher specialized than regular tactical marines.

Nope, the current C:SM states that a Scout's first posting after he receives his power armour is to a Devastator squad (as an ablative wound, not a gun-handler). From there, they're promoted to an Assault squad, and once they've acquired a good all-round set of skills, they join the Tactical squads. Next step up from there is into the First Company.

And with regard to the Grey Knights, they're recruited straight off the Black Ships. There are neophytes, probably, because there is a LOT of training required to become a Grey Knight. However, neophyte GKs wouldn't fight alongside full brethren simply because they aren't cut out for it. Nothing short of a fully trained Grey Knight can hope to combat and destroy a daemonic threat without the risk of taint.

The West Coast Knight
09-29-2009, 10:05 PM
OK let me try to clear this up.
Grey Knights to not have scouts they do have Neophytes which are trained on Titan a moon of Saturn.
They do not go into battle until their training is complete and they have been given the rank of Battle Brother.
The new Brothers are then put into squads which have taken losses and need new squad members.
Thats how they get in.
As far as recruiting new possible Neophytes it is from all the worlds in the Imperium and done by the Ordo Mallues via the Black Ships.

Hope this explains it for you.
;)

jeffersonian000
09-30-2009, 12:44 AM
Seems that way. I also get the impression the new Grey Knights are grouped together under the guidance of a veteran Grey Knight that has just become a Justicar. As the squad gains experience, they may become a purgation squad or a fast attack squad. The survivors (if suitably powerful enough psykers) will become Justicars in the own right over newly formed squads of Power Armoured Knights, or move on to Tactical Dreadnought Armour and join a Brother Captain's retinue as a Grey Knight Terminator Squad. If they survive, and are powerful enough psykers, they may eventually become Brother Captains in their own right with their own retinue of Grey Knight Terminators. The next step up from there is Grand Master, and a seat on the Inquisitorial council as an equal. Such is the life of Grey Knight.

One thing of note is mention in Battle Fleet Gothic that failed Knight candidates are mind scrubbed into servitors and serve as crews for Grey Knight Strike Cruisers and the rarely seen Grey Knight Battle Barges.

SJ