PDA

View Full Version : Empire warrior priests

gazzerk
03-19-2012, 02:17 PM
I know that wizards can cast spells even when in combat (except magic missiles) but can warrior priests pray when in combat?

Cherub
03-19-2012, 10:17 PM
yes

Kaiserdean
03-20-2012, 11:02 AM
Yes, they can. In fact, some of them only work in hand-to-hand.

gazzerk
03-20-2012, 11:24 AM
Thanks both. I thought this was the case but as I've only played 3 games I thought it best to check

black_numenorean
03-21-2012, 10:06 PM
So excited for the warrior priests. Thinking of doing a religious themed army.

Mospaeda
03-23-2012, 10:46 PM
So excited for the warrior priests. Thinking of doing a religious themed army.

Sigmars a little overdone - you should consider Morr, Manaan or any of the other gods

Wildeybeast
03-24-2012, 03:52 AM
Warrior preists are awesome under the current rules. the prayers are as good as any spell lore but much easier to cast and no chance of miscast, they grant hatred to the unit they are with and give you a bonus dispel dice (two for the arch lector). I always take an arch lector and at least one WP, along with seal of destruction and aldred's casket of sorcery and it means I usually completley nerf the opponents magic phase without having to actually kill his wizards. Make the most of WP before they get toned down under the new army book!

daKrovar
03-24-2012, 09:08 PM
has anyone seen anything in the rumors to say how or if the WPs will be toned down?

Calgar33
03-24-2012, 11:41 PM
I just hope Ulric gets some good rules

Wildeybeast
03-25-2012, 05:30 AM
has anyone seen anything in the rumors to say how or if the WPs will be toned down?

No but I would imgine they lose the free dispel dice, it is a hangover from the old edition that makes them really OP for their points cost. 95 points gets you hatred, a dispel dice and the ability to heal wounds, get a 4+ ward and make a unit unbreakable. Can't see all that staying at that points cost. But who knows what they will do, there are no rumours on rules only models.

Chronowraith
03-25-2012, 08:55 AM
If I had to guess they will get mini-lores and have to cast like everyone else but with no chance of a miscast. I wouldn't be too sure about losing the dispel dice, although I could definitely see their point cost rising. As Wildey says, they are a bit too good for their power at the moment given they fight reasonably well and have access to everything he mentions.

Jerseyboy381
03-25-2012, 12:25 PM
No but I would imgine they lose the free dispel dice, it is a hangover from the old edition that makes them really OP for their points cost. 95 points gets you hatred, a dispel dice and the ability to heal wounds, get a 4+ ward and make a unit unbreakable. Can't see all that staying at that points cost. But who knows what they will do, there are no rumours on rules only models.

And Prayers eat power dice, of which there are usually precious few in 8th edition. Plus a Warrior priest is a 2 wound human so not the most durable thing in the universe. Quite a few armies have cheap, spammable characters so why not us?

Wildeybeast
03-25-2012, 03:20 PM
If I had to guess they will get mini-lores and have to cast like everyone else but with no chance of a miscast. I wouldn't be too sure about losing the dispel dice, although I could definitely see their point cost rising. As Wildey says, they are a bit too good for their power at the moment given they fight reasonably well and have access to everything he mentions.

I'd like to see them getting proper lores (complete with cards). The move has been to standardise magic (look at Gut magic and Nekhekahra) so I suspect it will be the same here. Having said that they could just keep them as bound spells and perhaps reduce the number they get, who knows?

And Prayers eat power dice, of which there are usually precious few in 8th edition. Plus a Warrior priest is a 2 wound human so not the most durable thing in the universe. Quite a few armies have cheap, spammable characters so why not us?

What? Have you seen the statline for bog standard empire heroes? WS, BS and I 5, S & T 4 and 3 attacks for 50 points is a pretty good deal in my book.

If your warrior priest isn't durable make him so. I give my arch lector armour of metoric iron, crimson amulet and aldred's casket for some more anti-magic and he can give himself a 4+ ward. Stick him in a big unit of swordsmen which he makes unbreakable and it takes quite a lot to kill, especially when he can heal his own wounds! Seriously, when used properly these guys are awesome and a real pain for your opponent.

Realistically you only need two power dice to cast a prayer, and you could chance it on one. It's not like the prayers are game changers, they are just nice little bonuses. Pretty much everything in the Empire book is well costed IMO.

El_Davo
03-25-2012, 08:57 PM
sigmar priests are awesome. yea you can use all there spells in combat. just give them a ward save or a good armor save so they stay alive.
as for the next edition it would also be nice if you could put wp in a unit of flagelents.

Thornblood
05-31-2012, 05:40 AM
I play with two big units (spears and swords) with some detachments added. The Warrior Priest, even if he dosnt get the spells off really adds to the threat of the unit. Very cheap in points for what he is.