PDA

View Full Version : Grey Knights 1850 pt list

Trojankiller
03-20-2012, 12:56 AM
Making a Grey Knight list for a tournament that is coming up soon. I get bored of spam lists when I have to play multiple games in the same day so I decided to come up with something without MSU but hopefully still solid/flexible. Here it is:

HQ
Grandmaster
Blind Grenades, Psychotroke Grenades, Rad Grenades, Servo Skull x3

Troops
Terminators x10
Falchions x1, Psycannon x2, Warding Staff, Brotherhood banner, Hammer x2, Halberd x3, Sword x2, Psybolt Ammo

Strike Squad x10
Psycannon x2, Hammer x1, Psybolt Ammo

Strike Squad x10
Psycannon x2, Hammer x1, Psybolt Ammo

Heavy Support
Riflemen Dreadnought
Psybolt Ammo

Riflemen Dreadnought
Psybolt Ammo

Dreadknight
Personal Teleporter, Greatsword, Heavy Incinerator

Now I have some points to play with which will allow me to do a few things. I can add Anval Thawn to the Terminators or kit out my Grandmaster with more wargear and a master crafted psycannon. Another option is adding 2 rhinos to the Strike Squad but I feel they will just get destroyed too easily being the only transports.

The general idea of the list is to throw down 3 large squads that can lay down fire while advancing. I can also combat squad and/or deep strike with the servo skulls to provide mobility. The Dreadnoughts will stay back and possibly be scoring with Grand Strategy. The Dreadknight has a lot of potential with tightly packed horde or scarier monsters.

What do you guys think? Any suggestions and please keep in mind I do not want to spam the same unit. Another option is of course to change the Terminators into Paladins but that will bring down the firepower a bit.

Lucian Kain
03-20-2012, 07:51 AM
maybe a LC Razorback,or swap-out one squad for jump infintry,added mobility that can't be shot out from under you and maybe enough for another hammer?

DarkLink
03-20-2012, 12:38 PM
It'll work just fine. The Dreadknight can threaten stuff the rest of your army has trouble reaching.

Rhinos (not razorbacks) would be nice for the occasion you need to move quickly with the Strike Squad, but non-MSU Grey Knights rarely actually get in their transports so you'll do fine without them. They would be the first things I'd buy, though. In fact, I think two Rhinos will be more use to you than Psybolt Ammo will be. Psybolts are nice, but really not that big of a deal. I only take them if I happen to have a few points left over and I've already filled in all the other gaps in my list. Rhinos give you a lot of flexibility for creating cover, blocking enemy movement, tank shocks, etc. Take them.

But you don't have the points for Razorbacks, and you cant fit a full squad in a Razorback, so in this list don't bother.

If you want to get nit-picky:
You really only need 2 sevo-skulls. Deepstriking is rarely a good option compared to simply deploying, and with no blasts you'll really only use them to block infiltrators. Which can be awesome against, say, a Genestealer list, and definitely worth taking a pair, but you only need two so you can save 5 pts there.

I would take a Master Crafted weapon instead of a Falchion. Since the Falchion is only +1A, it's not worth it compared to the other weapons. Master Crafted basically gives you +1A anyways, but you keep the benefits of the other NFW you take. I'd rather take MC Hammers on the Strike Squads, anyways. I've been screwed in games because my two attacks with my hammer failed to kill a Dreadnought over like ten rounds of combat or something stupid like that. It's not like the Terminators are already awesome in CC.

In general, Halberds are your default. You already have a Warding Stave, take one Sword and a couple Hammers and everything else is Halberds. Halberds are flat-out better than Swords and Falchions, you only want a Sword to help take Power Fist wounds since you can only take one Stave. You need a couple Hammers, the Stave is worth its points on Terminators, but everything else should be Halberds. Don't worry about wound allocation, either, that is really only a big deal on Teminators and with your Stave/Sword to take wounds.

I'm not convinced the Greatsword is worth it. You're making a model that is already very pricey for its durability even more expensive. Everything that the Dreadknight can threaten with the Greatsword it can threaten with a pair of Doomfists just as well.

So you're looking at this now:
Grand Master, Sword, Grenades, 2 skulls

10 Terminators, 2 Psycannons, 2 Hammers, 1 Stave, 1 Sword, 1 Banner, 5Halberds

2x10 GKSS, 2 Psycannons, MC Hammer, Rhino

Dreadknight, PT, Incinerator

2x Psyrifle Dreads
Total: 1780

Now you can go back, add in psybolts and MC weapons and stuff with the extra 70pts. A psycannon on the GM isn't a bad idea here, since there isn't a whole lot else to spend the points on.

Trojankiller
03-20-2012, 05:02 PM
I'll try out your ideas. The tournament isn't for awhile so I have time to fiddle with things.