_Plasma pistol
Banewolf with HF and EA
Vendetta with HB sponsons
_4th Vet unit with Meltas ride here
Hydra Squadron (2)
_HB and EA
LeMann Russ BT with Lascannon
LeMann Russ BT with Lascannon

Thoughts on its viability? Survivability? Hard matchups for it?

Dialogus
03-22-2012, 12:39 AM
Looks like a pretty solid list, though I personally like a little more variety in my unit choices. The problem I see is that you go very heavy on the good AP weapons, but if a swarm-style army comes around you simply won't have enough units to deal with them.

Many Guard players (myself included) feel that the best way for Guard to beat heavy infantry is simply to put so many shots into them that they will inevitably fail some saves. It looks like you favor a more elite army though, so you may want to retool a few choices to be more anti-horde since you have an overabundance of expensive AP2/3

I would make two changes with hordes in mind:

- Swap the Banewolf for a Hellhound - I know you have lots of Heavy Flamers on your Chimeras, but the extra 12" on the template and the fact that it is a Fast vehicle makes the Hellhound compulsory in all of my lists.

- Equip one Vet squad with flame weapons instead of plasma. Have the flamer squad travel in the Vendetta and the melta squad in a Chimera. As it stands, if that Vendetta gets shot down, all your hopes of beating AV14 go with it. A flamer squad works very well against hordes, and will even force enough saves on heavy infantry to do a good deal of damage.

Apart from that, you can't go too far wrong with a nice mech list like yours. My only concern is that you will wipe the floor with other mech armies and heavy infantry armies, but will lose to hordes.

z3n1st
03-22-2012, 10:23 AM
Thanks for the suggestions, I have been contemplating doing exactly what you said (in regards to the flamers/meltas/plasma) so I think I will try a few games with each configuration to see how that goes. Then do the same with the Hellhound (I love the threat of the banewolf as it causes many marine assault armies to think twice about getting close, but I see what you are getting at.)

Thanks again.

Dialogus
03-22-2012, 11:33 PM
Well, if you're really attached to the Bane Wolf, you might try keeping it but swapping a regular Russ out for an Eradicator or a Punisher. Good luck!

Dialogus
03-22-2012, 11:36 PM
Well, if you're really attached to the Bane Wolf, you might try keeping it but swapping out a regular Russ for an Eradicator or a Punisher. Good luck!

robrodgers46
03-23-2012, 11:25 AM
Any list that has a lot of anti-AV12 is going to give you major problems. If your transports get stopped before you get in to rapid fire range all of the sudden these easy to kill vets are on the ground. A particularly hard matchup for you would be non-Mech IG. How are you going to kill or move a blob squad?

A couple of specifics:

Lascannons on LRBT are a less than optimal choice. You will always be firing your battlecannon at things you want to template, leaving that one BS3 lascannon shot kinda useless.

Plasma pistols are kinda pointless, and can get your sergeant killed quickly. You need him for his leadership.

HB sponsons are not much use either, as your skimmer better be moving. And again, the targets for heavy bolters do not match up with the targets for your lascannons.

Extra Armor on the chimeras doesn't get you much.

With the points saved you could add something to your list that would give you some variety and create target selection problems for your opponent. Artillery, sentinels to outflank, Harker, Marbo, etc.

Mech lists can be fun and effective. But they have been around so long there are a lot of lists (mine included, 12 autocannons,) that have answers for them. I suggest tweaking your army a little by saving points from wasted upgrades and spending them on non mech-vet options.

Good hunting,

BB

Dialogus
03-24-2012, 12:39 AM
I disagree on the lascannon for the Russ. I find a lascannon helpful if I'm using the Russ to shoot at either AV 10-12 vehicles (the Ordnance bonus on the Battle Cannon is nice) or at units with a 3+ save. I would say that you probably don't need two fitted this way though.

jb50c
03-24-2012, 08:16 AM
It's a pretty good list. My 2 cents are below:

10 psykers seesm like too many. If you are using them mainly for Weaken Resolve 7 should suffice as it means the highest Ld models in the game need a 3 on two dice (most will need snake eyes) to pass any leadership test. 7 will still wound T5 models on a 2 as well.

I agree w/losing the extra armor. Maybe swap out with dozer blades if you're going to be moving around a terrain heavy table.

I always takes stubbers on the chimeras. Becuase it's defensive you can fire it plus the ML or HF and still fire from the hacthes. It may not seem like much, but it gets you some exta low cost shots.

Your list does lack some AT firepower. A single vendetta is a huge target, you'll have to get your melta vets in range to use them and you'll only be glancing on a 6 from your LR. I'd get a second Vendetta or some type of ordnance (Yeah Manticore).