PDA

View Full Version : 2K Tyranids

Rabid1903
03-22-2012, 10:29 AM
So Tyranids are my favorite army by far, but I haven't had the chance to play them a ton.

I'm looking to swap to a full deep-striking/outflanking army compared to the hybrid that I normally run. Unfortunately, I'm not sure where to go besides my core.

HQ:
Hive Tyrant with LW&BS, Scything Talons, Hive Commander, Wings, Paroxysm, Leech Essence

Elite:
Deathleaper (I love this guy, single favorite special character)
3x Zoanthropes w/ Spore

Troop:
12 Genestealers w/ Broodlord upgrade, Toxin Sacs for all
12 Genestealers w/ Broodlord upgrade, Toxin Sacs for all
20 Hormagaunts w/ Toxin Sacs and Adrenal Glands

Fast Attack:
3 Raveners w/ Rending Claws
3 Raveners w/ Rending Claws

Heavy Support:
Trygon with Adrenal Glands
Trygon with Adrenal Glands

So this puts me somewhere around 50 points to play around with. Not sure where to put these points or what all I should change in my list.

The list is mainly for fun, but of course I'd prefer winning :)

Komosunder
03-22-2012, 06:43 PM
you are going to have a very hard with almost all competitive style lists. leaf blower is going to peace you apart bit by bit as you come in. BA do what your doing just better in all aspects, your even going to have a hard time with a green tide.

i hate to be a bummer but this list is going to need a lot of work.

your flyrant, a lot of people don't like this guy. i run him exactly as you have him built, proxy lets small crappy bugs hold down even the most elite of units for a turn. you also get a mean melee counter assault out of him. down side is that he is a very big target, and dies easily to missile spam of any kind.

i don't like to be the guy to tell someone not to take there favorite unit or character. but the down side to death leaper is he is an elite. most of the power in the codex is located in this section. hive guard, zoies and super stealers are getting bumped out.

i like zoies, but squads of 3 in a pod are a wast of points. they need to get in close to do any damage and no one in there rite mind is going to let them get that 2ed turn of shooting. split them up, i would support 2 units of 2 in spods.

your troops are understandable, not the best in the codex, but they work for what your doing. you do have the option of walking on Tervagons, as most games are objective, this isn't a bad idea.

ravelers are just awful, if you want to run a medium DS unit for assaults use shrikes. but, TBH unless you are building to gargoyles at this point total, you should just drop the FA section.

for a DS list the trigon is a great unit, i would think of running three. primes wouldn't be bad with all the force weapons out there now a days.

good luck to you

Akaiyou
03-22-2012, 10:07 PM
I disagree with Komosunder, your list is far from atrocious you just need some slight tweaks you will definetly not be swept under the rug by anyone with a bit of common sense and tactics you definetly have the power to strike and strike hard. Anyway here's what I believe your 2,000 pt list should look like:

2000 Pts - Tyranids Roster

HQ:
. . 1 Hive Tyrant, 280 pts (Lash Whip & Bonesword x1; Heavy Venom Cannon; Hive Commander; Wings; Leech Essence; Paroxysm)

Elite:
. . 3 Hive Guard Brood, 150 pts
. . 2 Zoanthrope Brood, 160 pts
. . . . 1 Mycetic Spore
. . 1 Deathleaper, 140 pts

Troops:
. . 20 Hormagaunt Brood, 160 pts (Toxin Sacs)
. . 10 Genestealer Brood, 170 pts (Toxin Sacs)
. . 6 Genestealer Brood, 165 pts (Toxin Sacs)
. . . . 1 Broodlord (Toxin Sacs)

Fast Attack:
. . 6 Ravener Brood, 210 pts (Rending Claws)

Heavy Support:
. . 1 Trygon, 200 pts
. . 1 Trygon, 200 pts

Total Roster Cost: 2000

What's different?
Hive tyrant should have a venom cannon, for transports/vehicles. You don't want him doing nothing on the field until the bulk of your army arrives. This also helps against parking lots.

Hive guard are really necessary to help you out with transports and because you lacked anti-tank power in general.

2 zoans in a pod work as good as 3. 3 is usually overkill

Your genestealer squads were pretty big and will usually overkill stuff so i split them up to give u another troop choice which you'll likely need at 2,000 pts and hormagants with no adrenal glands they should be focusing on infantry killing and objectives not on vehicles.

the 2 units of raveners work better as 1 unit of 6 raveners in kill point missions they'll be harder to kill and now you can reilably charge them into anything you want and have great odds at winning or severely crippling.

the trygons dont need adrenal glands at all the points were better used elsewhere.

I believe this is a solid 2,000 pt army able to compete.

Rabid1903
03-23-2012, 01:07 PM
I disagree with Komosunder, your list is far from atrocious you just need some slight tweaks you will definetly not be swept under the rug by anyone with a bit of common sense and tactics you definetly have the power to strike and strike hard. Anyway here's what I believe your 2,000 pt list should look like:

2000 Pts - Tyranids Roster

HQ:
. . 1 Hive Tyrant, 280 pts (Lash Whip & Bonesword x1; Heavy Venom Cannon; Hive Commander; Wings; Leech Essence; Paroxysm)

Elite:
. . 3 Hive Guard Brood, 150 pts
. . 2 Zoanthrope Brood, 160 pts
. . . . 1 Mycetic Spore
. . 1 Deathleaper, 140 pts

Troops:
. . 20 Hormagaunt Brood, 160 pts (Toxin Sacs)
. . 10 Genestealer Brood, 170 pts (Toxin Sacs)

Fast Attack:
. . 6 Ravener Brood, 210 pts (Rending Claws)

Heavy Support:
. . 1 Trygon, 200 pts
. . 1 Trygon, 200 pts

Total Roster Cost: 2000

What's different?
Hive tyrant should have a venom cannon, for transports/vehicles. You don't want him doing nothing on the field until the bulk of your army arrives. This also helps against parking lots.

Hive guard are really necessary to help you out with transports and because you lacked anti-tank power in general.

2 zoans in a pod work as good as 3. 3 is usually overkill

Your genestealer squads were pretty big and will usually overkill stuff so i split them up to give u another troop choice which you'll likely need at 2,000 pts and hormagants with no adrenal glands they should be focusing on infantry killing and objectives not on vehicles.

the 2 units of raveners work better as 1 unit of 6 raveners in kill point missions they'll be harder to kill and now you can reilably charge them into anything you want and have great odds at winning or severely crippling.

the trygons dont need adrenal glands at all the points were better used elsewhere.

I believe this is a solid 2,000 pt army able to compete.

Thanks a lot for the help, but I'm curious as to why no Adrenal Glands for the Hormagaunts? If they charge (which they almost always will) they will get 50% more wounds on MEQs and have a chance at glancing vehicles.

Also, I tend to not have the best results from a HVC on a Tyrant. They just can't reliably kill a vehicle, but I've used them against multi-wound models pretty well so I guess that's worth it.

Lastly, I thought Adrenal Glands on Trygons were great because now you have a large chance of killing Land Raiders and you strike before most things so you don't end up with some lucky marines taking out a Trygon.

jifel
03-24-2012, 08:57 PM
From Akaiyou's list Id drop one Ravener, and the Venom Cannon on the Tyrant. Use those points for Adrenal Glands on the Trygons and the 20 Hormagants. Toxin sacs are amazing with adrenal glands on Hormagaunts, and Adranal Glands on Trygons are good for vehicles, and I. 5 gets you hitting before that sarge with a power weapon, or those LC termies.

Rabid1903
03-25-2012, 12:05 PM
From Akaiyou's list Id drop one Ravener, and the Venom Cannon on the Tyrant. Use those points for Adrenal Glands on the Trygons and the 20 Hormagants. Toxin sacs are amazing with adrenal glands on Hormagaunts, and Adranal Glands on Trygons are good for vehicles, and I. 5 gets you hitting before that sarge with a power weapon, or those LC termies.

Alright, that sounds like a good compromise.

The next question that I have is to what tactics to use with Hive Guard. With my normal list I team them up with a Tervigon. Seeing as how she won't be around anymore I'm not sure what to do anymore.

My initial plan had been to have them on the board and hope they can take a couple things out before falling victim to a pie plate, but the more I thought about it the more I had considered reserving them and bringing them on through a Trygon hole if possible.