PDA

View Full Version : 1750 Sisters of Battle league list

Elfy
03-22-2012, 11:04 AM
We have a new 1750 point league starting up this Sunday. Below is the list I'm thinking about going with:

1750 Sisters of Battle league list
(365 + 588 + 432 + 365 = ) 1750

HQ (250 + 115 =) 365
Uriah Jocoobus, Protector of the Faith
Battle Conclave (6x Death Cult Assassins; 2x Crusader)
Rhino w/Dozer Blades

Saint Celestine

Troops (3 x 196 =) 588

Battle Sister Squad (1x Meltagun, 1x Multimelta, 7x Boltguns, Sister Superior w/Bolt Pistol and Power Weapon)
Rhino w/Dozer Blades and Searchlights

Battle Sister Squad (1x Meltagun, 1x Multimelta, 7x Boltguns, Sister Superior w/Bolt Pistol and Power Weapon)

Fast Attack (216 x 2 =) 432

Dominion Squad (2x Flamer, 2x Meltagun, 5x Boltguns, Sister Superior w/Bolt Pistol and Power Weapon)

Dominion Squad (2x Flamer, 2x Meltagun, 5x Boltguns, Sister Superior w/Bolt Pistol and Power Weapon)

Heavy Suport (85 + 140 + 140 = ) 365

Retributor Squad (4x Heavy Bolter, Sister Superior w/Boltgun)

Exorcist w/Dozer Blade

Exorcist w/Dozer Blade

Here are my reasoning behind my choices:

I normally take Dozer Blades on Exorcists because I like to hide them in ruins or forest to give them cover. Likewise I give the Dominion Squad Rhinos Dozer Blades because I like to Scout move into ruins or forest to give them some initial cover while still being able to advance towards the enemy before the first turn. I gave the other Rhinos Dozer Blades as well because I'm suspiscious that one of the two Necron players will run the thing that makes everything difficult/dangerous terrain. I took Searchlights on most of my Rhinos because I'm also suspicious of seeing a Necron Stormlord between one of the two Necron players as well. Instead of taking a third Dominion Squad, I took a third troops squad for scoring purposes. In our league, victory points are king and objectives give bonus points each round you start on them uncontested with a scoring unit. We use detailed victory points and gain victory points for destroying enemy models (1.5x cost), preserving our own models (1x cost), and bonus points for objectives. I gave my Dominion squads both x2 flamers and x2 meltaguns so that they could handle both horde squads and tough elite squads. I gave Power Weapons to my frontline Sister Superiors because I frequently get overrun after popping out of a Rhino to let loose my short range firepower. Previously I was giving my Sisters of Battle troops squads 2 x Meltaguns, but this time I decided to try 1 x Meltagun and 1 x Multimelta to increase their anti-vehicle treat range (please a Dark Eldar player likes to use Night Shields which cut the melta death range down).

So how do my other Sisters of Battle players feel about my choices and reasoning?

Turkadactyl
03-22-2012, 05:41 PM
All in all looks solid. Looks similar to what I have run.

I run 3 squads of SoB; two with MG and MM and one with MG and Flamer. Gave me the option of flexibility to walk a squad and use the two special weapons. Good idea rolling with 2 Flamers and 2 MG in the Dominion squads.

I roll out 5 DCA and 4 Crusaders in my Conclave. My Crusaders are there to soak up wounds as they are more survivable with a 3++ compared to the DCA 5++. I typically roll bad though so I need that buffer. That being said I usually roll out a Retributor squad of 8 models minimum. My local typically focuses on Retrivutirs right away so I need the extra models to soak up wounds before losing the HB's. To get those extra bodies in that means losing dozer blades and/or power weapons.

Root
03-22-2012, 10:01 PM
I like it but I feel like Celestine is gonna catch an errant plasma shot and die. Keep the dozer blades and ignore the haters, best points ever spent when they save you a game or two. Mixed weapons in a Dominion squad is up to you, I've tried both approaches and it works.

I hate multi meltas on infantry squads. Battle Squads are not static units and I am willing to bet you a painted model that you won't fire those multi meltas more than once in a game on average because you don't have much to keep the enemy off your transports (Once total not once each). 2 regular meltas will get fired way more IMO.

marsdonut
03-22-2012, 11:56 PM
I have to agree with @Root and @Turk. A multimelta limits your squad's effective range (read: Multimelta is heavy 1, and can't be shot out of rhino's top hatch if moved). I think Jacobus' squad is amazing and very dangerous, I just wonder whether you're comfortable with that many assassin attacks whom have a steep invul save, as the each assassin already has 4 attacks (2 base + 1 for wpns+ jacobus) and thats not even on the charge. I think its a great unit, I just might include a crusader or an argoflaggent (for whenever I need someone to multiassault a tank).

I'm mixed on Celestine. I'm not familiar with league play, but hopefully she does you well. (She could live longer than a real Seraphim squad, but could be largely ignored if tied up. Her 'to hit' in combat is the only saving grace imo as a real dual threat - watch out MC!) Additionally, I would give some thought to kick your retributor squad up to 9. You will have 5 wasted shots each turn beyond 24" but it takes a little more before a morale test. (3 wounds as opposed to 2) That all said, I think I would fight for another template somewhere in the army, but isn't necessary.

(Full disclosure: I don't play SoB, but I have played against someone who runs almost the exact make up except Seraphim for Dominion squads. In fact, I like how the Dominion squads are set up, I wish I could play you to find out how well they do!)

Turkadactyl
03-23-2012, 09:31 AM
Keep the Saint. Sisters are highly dependent on their special characters to be competitive. The Saint will not win you games (leave that to Uriah and his Conclave). The Saint is a great distraction. She is annoying to play against and use that to your advantage.

The Saint is hated with at my local. If she is ignored then she disturb my opponents plans. The Saint gets shot at then my other units survive longer. Instant death? Let's bring her back up on a 4+. Fantastic. the Saint has never dominated close combats for me and that is alright. She stirs the hornets nest.

Elfy
03-23-2012, 12:28 PM
@Turkadactyl and @marsdonut
Yes, my opponents have recently wised up as to how effective Rending Heavy Bolters can be and have been focusing heavily on taking them out ASAP. Adding an extra couple of girls to the squad to help alleviate some of the initial wounds is a good idea--especially since I only have a single squad of Heavy Bolter Retributors in this list; it’s just a question of finding the points to buffer them.

@Turkadactyl and @marsdonut
I have 2 Crusaders in the concave along with 5 Deathcult Assassins. Like you two mention, they are there to help keep the assassins alive longer. I’ve ran 9 DCA and I’ve ran just 5 DCA before. The 9 DCA blew through everything. The 5 DCA seemed to lack a bit of ‘umph’ and died a bit too easy. So my current thought is to bump the DCA up from 5 to 6 to help with their ‘umph’ and add the 2 Crusaders to help with their survivability. This should work out better than either of the other two variations I tried.

@Turkadactyl
Heavy Flamers are very expensive and if I take one that means I can only get 1 meltagun (or possibly 1 meltagun and 1 combimelta) in the squad. How has the one meltagun/Heavy Flamer combo been working out for you with your Sisters Troop squad? What about the Meltagun/Multimelta combos?

@root
Yeah, I always put Dozer Blades on my Exorcists and try to keep them in cover or completely out of LOS against antitank units, if I can--a single weapon destroyed hit and it’s completely nerfed and even a shaken result takes it out for a round. I usually take Dozer Blades for Dominion squads because I like to Scout move into ruins or forest and save their smoke for when they are out in the open. I don’t usually take Dozer Blades for my Sisters troops, but one of the Necron players was talking about the C’Tan Shard’s Writhing Worldscape/Orikan the Diviner’s Temporal Snares combo. Of course, alternatively I could remove the Dozer Blades from just the three Sisters troops Rhino’s and just choose not to move them on the first turn to get around it. That’d free up 15 points to put elsewhere.

@root and @marsdonut
I normally run my Sisters troop squads with two Meltaguns and tend to move them around a fair bit as the battle around them changes, but I wanted to try this where I have a larger threat range against monstrous creatures and walkers. I don't know how well it will work out, but I feel it's good to experiment. Also, in our league, three out of four scenarios are typically objective-based and the way it works is that, at the beginning of your turn, if you have a scoring unit on an objective (and it’s not contested by an enemy unit) you gain bonus Victory Points. So having a squad or two of scoring Sisters camping out on objectives with a multimelta might be okay. I could swap out the Sister Superior’s Power Weapon for a Combimelta--though I’m not sure how effective a single extra meltagun shot once per game would be. Similarly I could get a combiflamer--which I’ve used before. The problem is that once my girls pop out of their Rhino to unleash their short range firepower, they typically get assaulted the following turn. I guess you could argue that a single power weapon might not add much, but, from how I've seen it play out, it seems to add more than a single-shot flamer or meltagun does. You never really know until the battle is over.

@marsdonut
I’ve not tried any Arco-Flagellants before. They seem less effective than DCA against everything except weak-armored hordes like Tyranids and Orks. Have you seen them do much?

@root and @marsdonut and @Turkadactyl
I’ve never ran her before, but I feel (as Turkadactyl suggested) that Saint Celestine should prove to be a good distraction if nothing else since she keeps getting back up (and any firepower used to put her down is firepower that’s not being used on my other squads). Her Heavy Flamer should also wipe out Necron Scarabs quite well.

@everyone
You've all given me some things to thing about. Thank you.

Boss Zargore
03-23-2012, 03:47 PM
I've had great luck with both the saint and uriah. They'll do well for you I think.

I'm not a fan of power weapons on sister superiors. They MAY kill one opponent in assaylt if youre lucky, and youll still probably lose against even okay assault units. Once a unit of sisters gets stuck in, they're pretty much done for. If we still had the book of st lucious I might consider power weapons in a fun league, but sisters combat stats means they wont do much no matter what you give them. If you drop them, you could buy a few buffer girls for your retributor squad. just my thoughts.

I also agree on dropping the multi meltas.

Otherwise I think your list looks great! Dominions and battle sisters form a great core! Good luck!

Edit * I am a big fan of putting combo weapons on sister superiors. My theory being that when I fire a squad of melta sisters at a tank, I »need« it to die then. Countless times three meltas have proven that they get the job done for sure. Same with three flamers as well. Definately worth the points.

Turkadactyl
03-23-2012, 06:03 PM
For the same reason of high points cost I do not run heavy flamers. It is the MG/Flamer combo. I have run the MM/MG combo and it is satisfactory but I do admit the Sisters are stronger when they can move and shoot. If you need the points I agree with dropping the power weapons. You will most likely be wounding on 5's and that is not the best odds for points cost.

the game I got spanked by the Necrons I ran the Saint up against Scarabs. Her heavy flamer was wonderful but there were too many and I eventually rolled a one and lost her armour for the entire game. The Scarabs were locked in combat for a long time. If you play Necrons do not put your Battle Conclave against Wraiths kitted out with lash coils. It was a friendly so we pitted our pride and joy against each other. Strength negated my feel no pain and it sucks having your DCA's reduced to I 1.

Elfy
03-23-2012, 08:48 PM
Okay, here's my revised army list:

1750 Sisters of Battle league list
(361 + 568 + 432 + 389 = ) 1750

HQ (246 + 115 =) 361
Uriah Jocoobus, Protector of the Faith
Battle Conclave (6x Death Cult Assassins; 2x Crusader)
Rhino w/Searchlight

Saint Celestine

Troops (191 + 191 + 186 =) 568

Battle Sister Squad (1x Meltagun, 1x Multimelta, 7x Boltguns, Sister Superior w/CombiMeltagun)
Rhino w/Searchlight

Battle Sister Squad (1x Meltagun, 1x Multimelta, 7x Boltguns, Sister Superior w/CombiMeltagun)
Rhino w/Searchlight

Battle Sister Squad (2x Meltagun, 7x Boltguns, Sister Superior w/Boltgun)
Rhino w/Dozer Blades and Searchlight

Fast Attack (216 x 2 =) 432

Dominion Squad (2x Flamer, 2x Meltagun, 5x Boltguns, Sister Superior w/CombiMeltagun)

Dominion Squad (2x Flamer, 2x Meltagun, 5x Boltguns, Sister Superior w/CombiMeltagun)

Heavy Suport (109 + 140 + 140 = ) 389

Retributor Squad (4x Heavy Bolter, 2x Boltguns, Sister Superior w/Boltgun)

Exorcist w/Dozer Blade

Exorcist w/Dozer Blade

Notes:

I removed the Dozer Blade and added a Searchlight to the Deathcult Assassins' Rhino (because I had a spare point with nothing else to do with it).

I kept the MG/MM combo on two of the Sisters troop squads (they will just camp on the objectives when they can and rely on 24" firepower), but I swapped out the Power Weapons for CombiMeltaguns so that I can fire two meltagun shots once even if they need to move. I removed the two Dozer Blades on their Rhinos to free up some points. For the third Sisters troop squad I kept the Dozer Blade on their Rhino, removed the Power Weapon, and went with 2xMeltaguns. This squad can be mobile and help assist the other squads as needed. I wanted to add back in a CombiFlamer but I needed the points elsewhere.

I swapped out the Power Weapons for CombiMeltaguns in the two Dominion Squads.

I added two Sisters w/Boltguns to help buffer the Heavy Bolter girls in the Retributor squad with some of the points I freed up elsewhere. My exorcists are unchanged.

Does this version seem better?

Boss Zargore
03-24-2012, 10:16 AM
This revised list looks awesome! Tell us how the multi meltas work out for you! Overall, i think this list will be great for you.

Turkadactyl
03-25-2012, 09:56 PM
Looks better. God luck and let us know how the list performs. The two most enjoyable parts of playing the current version of SoB is listening the comments along the lines of, "The Conclave gets how many attacks?", "The Saint gets up on a 4+, on an instant kill?"

Elfy
03-26-2012, 01:19 PM
Sadly I got my butt kicked, but it was more of a case of practically everything going wrong that could go wrong during the battle. Although there were a few things I could have done better, starting with my deployment, I don't feel there was anything wrong with the army itself. Even with my lose, I'm in the middle of the current league ladder rather than at the bottom and there are still three weeks left in the current league to try to advance my position.

It was such a horribly one-sided battle that it's not worth describing in much detail, but basically it went like this:

Opponent was Necrons. The basic build was a C'Tan Shard with Lord of Fire and Writhing Worldscape, Orikan the Diviner (Temporal Snares), Royal Court (5 assorted Lords; 5 Crypteks of Transmogrification with Tremorstaves), 4x MSU immortals and 1x MSU Warriors (each with one of the Cryptek of Transmogrification above), Imotekh the Stormlord, Doomsday Arc, 2 sets of 3 Canoptek Scarabs and 1 Canoptek Spyder.

Spearhead Deployment. Necrons won deployment and I failed to steal Initiative. My opponent deployed as close as he could to me except for his Doomsday Arc, which took a position of cover, with Scarabs, Spyders, and C’Tan at the front with MSUs and 5 Lords plus Orikan forming a secondary line behind them, but spread out. I deployed my Retributors at the top of some ruins and made a parking lot of my tanks behind the ruins with Celestine hiding among them.

Battle preceded something like this:

Night Fighting kept his Doomsay Arc from doing anything first three turns, but didn’t really hamper my forces since I had Searchlights and his forces were being played so aggressively. He voluntarily dropped it on his fourth turn so that he could make use of his Doomsday Arc.

His Lighting kicked my butt. He usually rolls poorly with his lighting strikes but over the three turns he had it up, he immobilized or wrecked four of my tanks and stunned a few more. I never got a single shot off with either of my two Exorcist tanks =(

Between his Lightning doing so well, and his Writhing Worldscape, Temporal Snares, and Tremorstaves trick, and me being immobilized/stunned by his Lightning attacks, I was practically locked into my starting position and never got out of my deployment zone the entire game (which went six turns). Several squads had to get out of their stunned/immobilized tanks to get into the fight even though the Necrons were aggressively advancing on their position.

Three or four of my melta girls died to the C’Tan’s Lord of Fire while trying to kill him (which they eventually did).

Saint Celestine, with support from other squads, managed to kill the two sets of scarabs (they went to ground in craters after eating a stunned Exorcist tank and a Rhino and were getting 2+ covers saves against everything except Celestine’s Heavy Flame template.) Saint Celestine died fighting Orikan and his 5 Necron Lords Royal Court. Sadly she didn’t get back up before the game ended and was dead =(

Basically, practically nothing in the battle went right for me from the beginning of the battle until the end of the battle. I constantly rolled poorly while my opponent rolled well most of the game. But that's the way it goes sometimes.

Hopefully the remaining three league battles work out better for me than this one did--surely it won't go any worse =P

Turkadactyl
03-27-2012, 10:21 AM
Thanks for the update. You`re right with deployment. I have handicapped myself with poor deployment. Also, when your opponent rolls hot there is not much that can be done with that. My Necron opponent was on fire with his dice, which resulted in a very lopsided massacre. Good luck with the other games. I have massacred and have been massacred (not to mention some nail-biting close games) with a similar list. I look forward to hearing about your other games.

Elfy
04-30-2012, 04:53 PM
So, the league ended last Sunday and in the end I placed in the middle area of the ladder (ranked 4 out of 6). Out of my four games, I was massacred by Necrons (see above) once, suffered a minor loss to Necrons once, suffered a major loss to Blood Angels once, and I massacred Tau Empire once. So my win-loss was 1-3. Just as reference, for the previous 2 leagues I was 4-0 both times so I was on an 8 game winning streak before this last league, but things fell apart in this league for some reason.

Observations: the comments concerning the MultiMeltas were spot-on. I simply cannot afford to have an entire 10 girl squad sit on an objective--I need all my forces to take the battle to the enemy. Two Meltaguns would have served me better as my girls generally needed to keep moving around instead of squatting. As it was, I rarely got to use the multimetas and had to fire their pistols instead.

With having only a single squad of Heavy Bolter Girls, even with padding them out with regular bolter girls, they were high priority targets for my opponents to take out and typically didn’t last long. The two Exorcists worked much better this time around than my earlier trials with them though.

We have another 1750 league starting this coming Sunday. I’ll be trying out another list for this coming league.