PDA

View Full Version : 40k Narrative Gaming

Elpapito
03-22-2012, 01:39 PM
Hello everyone, I have been playing 40k at my local gaming store for a while and it seems that all of the gaming events are WAAC tourneys that everyone plays with unpainted and mostly unassembled models. So I have been thinking of a new type of gaming event in which the story and actual tactics matter instead of who can build the best death-star unit, and to attract players that are more interested in the background and hobby parts of the game.

The basic idea for the game is to be playing with at least 4 or 5 players per team who each command a 1000 point army. This will make it so no one can play highly expensive models or units without relying on their teammates to support them, and also makes the turns faster.

The game also has a GM that decides on objectives and other things throughout the game. The purpose of this is to make the game change as it goes on to create a story by adding new objectives, units, terrain, etc. throughout the game.

Instead of having only 5-7 turns the game lasts for about 10-12, this makes it actually seem like a battle instead of running at your enemy without thinking of the long term consequences of your army's position. Although it may seem like a 1000 point army cannot survive that long, if the GM is doing it right then new units and game elements would be added based on objectives that are completed by your team and as the battle goes on more units would be added to escalate it.

The table would be set up as like an apocalypse match on a large table with varying environments such as cities, forests, and hills, and also with lots of objective-related terrain like factories, shrines, or communication centers so that the GM has plenty of flexibility to place new objectives, and so it isn't obvious to the players what or where the next objective will be.

Objectives in this game actually matter, and each one adds new elements to the game so when you complete it it's more than just another point for your team.

That's the basic idea of the game and all I have time to post for now, I'll add more soon. Questions and comments are appreciated.

Dialogus
03-23-2012, 12:18 AM
Personally, I think this game is at its best when you get a group of friends together and have a really memorable game with a fun narrative. I just moved to the East Coast so I've been playing standard missions and tourneys and it's just not the same!

Having a GM can make the game really fun, but if you don't have enough players you can choose a player which you trust to be impartial to act as both the GM and a player, but he would have to tell you what special rules and bonuses are present before playing or else he would have an unfair advantage in the game. The Apocalypse Reload book has some cool GM ideas, and I've had a lot more. I'll post some ideas, let us know how your event goes!

-Award Strategic Assets from Apocalypse books for accomplishing tasks in-game.

-Have GM-controlled units hidden on the board (assassins, mercenaries, technicians, etc.), which can act on their own agenda or switch to control of another player.

-Have "Orbital Fleet" assets, such as bombardments, teleportation, supply drops, troop drops, improved comms/reserves, etc. Granted either in limited number at the start of the game or throughout by the GM. This could be done with other off-field things, such as artillery or air support.

-Assign each player a rival, with a bonus for killing the rival HQ himself. Alternatively, assign player-specific objectives, with bonus points if the player accomplishes the objective himself. Careful with these, as they may dictate the game too much if you go overboard.

-Have stationary defenses in the environment which players can capture and operate.

-Have a special transportation system (tunnels, webway gates, Katapultz, what have you).

-Give 1 "super unit" to each side.

-Have equipment on the map which can either be found or earned by completing objectives.

-Have small but helpful passive racial bonuses, or one-time more significant racial bonuses (based on their army, not their ethnicity, of course. But hey, it's your game, haha)

Have fun, and let us know what you come up with!

Elpapito
03-23-2012, 10:01 PM
Thanks for the feedback. It will be awhile before I can organize this event because of various hassles and because most of the people at the store I play at hate to even play with objectives or non-pitched battle deployment.

I have written a couple of games, this is the basic outline for the beginning of a Tyranids vs Imperials game, let me know what you think about it.

Deployment-

Imperial Guard may deploy within 12" of a Defend objective.
Space Marines start in reserve and may deep strike starting 3rd turn on a 4+ but scatter 3D6".

Tyranids must start in reserve and may deep strike first turn on a 4+.

Objectives-

Starting Objectives

-First Line of Defense/Beachhead-
Imperial- Hold and Defend the outpost for 4 turns. Bonus: incoming space marine units may deep-strike without scattering within 12” of the outpost.

Tyranids- Destroy or Capture the outpost in 4 turns. Bonus: If captured a Tyranid brood nest is placed within the outpost.

-Power Struggle-
Imperial- Deliver the power cores to the defense cannon. Bonus: your team may fire the defense cannon one time for each power core you deliver to it.

Tyranids- Capture and Hold the power cores for 1 turn. Bonus: the unit that completes this objective has the Poison (4+) special rule for all close combat attacks and shooting.

-Harvest-
Tyranids- Destroy 30 imperial infantry models within 12" of the city. Bonus: a massive brood nest is placed inside the city. (which will of course spawn some gigantic Tyranid beast later in the game)

-Hold the Line-
Imperial Guard- Hold all defensive structures for 4 turns. Bonus: all IG units within 3" of a defensive structure gain the Stubborn special rule.

After the first five or six turns their will be a new set of objectives based on which ones were completed.

Nightwishh
03-27-2012, 05:49 AM
Why I must buy expensive pills while I can get generics buy differin gel (http://lebrisa.com) on line with delivery to my place and for considerably lower price. I am ready to accept the situation that customer support sometimes can be dull when I want to trace my order plus lamisil (http://kinkyboi.com/)

TSINI
03-28-2012, 01:49 PM
Thanks so much for this, i hope you can keep this thread updated with more ideas, you've already got me thinking more about my narrative event i want to hold locally.

I particularly like your idea of Task forces, smaller forces per player = quicker gameplay = more turns

and the instant effects for holding objectives seem great.

My idea is for an invasion of a imperial stronghold, in particular, a bunker

inspired by the new zone mortalis stuff from forgeworld, im thinking of having "special forces" which are stalking through the bunker trying to silence some big gun emplacements, while an invasion force tries to take a landing site/beacon allowing reinforcements to land and overwhelm the bunker.

I like the active scenery idea also, like the power generator

some great ideas mate.

Elpapito
04-03-2012, 02:14 PM
Thanks, I'll try to post more as often as I can. Here are a few ideas I have for a game like yours TSINI.

Board setup:

8' x 4'

At the center of the table place a defensive wall and other fortifications. On the invading team's side of the wall place sparse terrain and a few small bunkers, on the defending teams side place dense city terrain and bastions as well as several objective based buildings like ammo depots, repair stations, etc. in the middle of the defenders side place a shield generator type objective.

In the dense city area of the table the game is played as a skirmish style game with Night Fighting rules. A quick google search should find you some appropriate skirmish rules to use.

Deployment:

Each team has four players two of the players on each team have a 1500 point army, the other two players on the team have 500 point armies.

The defending team sets up first, the players with 1500 point armies may set their armies up within 12" of the central wall. The players with 500 point armies may deploy within 6" of an objective inside the base. No defending units may deep-strike.

The invading team must deep-strike their 1500 point armies or deploy within 12" of their table end, units may not deep-strike within the base while the shield is up. The 500 point armies are deployed from various points within the city.

I'll post objectives for this game when I have time to.

Elpapito
04-04-2012, 11:05 PM
Here are the objectives for the game I posted earlier questions and comments are appreciated.

-The Wall, Part 1-

Defenders- Hold and Defend the central wall for 4 turns. Bonus: all friendly units within 6" the wall gain the stubborn special rule.
Attackers- Capture or Destroy the wall in 4 turns: Bonus:all units in your team’s 1500 point armies gain the Furious Charge special rule for the next three turns.

-The Wall, Part 2-

Defenders-Hold and Defend the central wall for 5 turns. Bonus: Friendly cover saves that are gained by the wall receive a +1
Attackers-Capture or Destroy the wall in 5 turns. Bonus: captured all units on your team's 1500 point armies gain the Fleet and Furious Charge special rules for the next three turns.

-Just Another Brick- (if the wall is destroyed)

Attackers- Capture the area within 6" of the wall in the 3 turns. Bonus: The bonus you get for destroying the wall lasts an additional turn

Defenders- Don't let any enemy units past the breached wall for 3 turns. Bonus: units within 3" of this objective when it is completed are fearless for the next two turns

-The Wall, Part 3-

Defenders-Hold the wall at the end of the game. Bonus: Defending team wins.

-They Will Never Get Past Our Shields-

Defenders- Defend the shield generator for 7 turns. Bonus: The area that your shield covers increases 12”.
Attackers- Destroy the shield generator. Bonus: Your team may now deep-strike in the city.

-Supply Line-

Defenders- Hold the any of the following buildings to get a bonus.
Ammo Depot- one friendly unit on your team per ammo depot controlled may re-roll missed to-hit rolls for ranged weapons
Generator- if a generator is controlled the Night Fighting rules are not in effect within 18" of the generator.
Repair Station- once per turn when this building is controlled a friendly vehicle within 3" of it may attempt to repair, to do this roll a D6, on a 5+ a single Weapon Destroyed result or Immobilized may be fixed. This roll gets a +1 for each consecutive turn the vehicle is repaired.
AA-Cannon- Any units deep-striking within 24" of this objective take D6 S7 AP4 hits that effect the unit and its transport.

Elpapito
04-11-2012, 08:42 AM
And if anyone still cares here is how you could take the same 4 v 4 game and make it into an 8 v 8.

It is played on a 12' x 4' table that is in a T shape with a 6' x 4' table, on the large table 5 players from each team fight with1500 point armies and on the small table 3 players from each team play a skirmish game with 500 point armies in dense terrain.

Attackers deploy within 12" of the table ends on the 12' x 4'.
Defenders deploy within 12" of the central defenses.

everything else could be played about the same maybe with a few apoc units in the large battle.

Nightwishh
06-16-2012, 02:21 PM
thanks, you right have nice day :)