PDA

View Full Version : 1850 necrons thematic- competetive

thecactusman17
03-22-2012, 02:26 PM
Hi, I am building a thematic necron list with an eye toward being fairly competetive.. My local meta appears to be marines and guard with a number of de as well. The stalker is changeable with a ctan or something else that could represent a big clockwork monster.

Nox the time mage (orikan the diviner)

Overlord w// scythe, orb, weave, and scarabs

Court Group:
Lord, scythe, shackle
Lord, weave, shackle
Cryptek, Despair, veil
Cryptek, Storm (goes with deathmarks)
Cryptek
Cryptek

Razortime (triarch stalker)
5 deathmarks
5 deathmarks

10 warriors, ark
10 warriors, ark
10 immortals

8 scarabs
8 scarabs

My math pegs this at 1845. Advice on expansion to 2k or swaps are preferred. I am going to have bits from 2 battle forces, a furioso dread, and 2 boxes of lychguard.

Alxmas
03-22-2012, 03:16 PM
I'm just not a fan of the big court. They are just too many points for their impact on the battle field.

I also think deathmarks are best suited as 5 man 95pt suicide unit. They are good against most opponents but you will struggle to find a good target against certain specific enemies. That's why I would only ever take 1 unit. I love the models and the fluff to death but cant justify ever taking 2 units.

I would try to slim down the court and fit in at least 2 annihilation barges. They are really impressive against all of the opponents you've listed and would go a long way tp beefing up your shooting. Which is what necrons do best.

thecactusman17
03-22-2012, 03:52 PM
The deathmarks are indeed a suicide unit, but by taking two I can drop a late arrival into an objective or between a menacing assault force. Just like my ghost arks will never actually contain the warriors, choosing instead to function as a giant wall and fish of fury vs any assault units.

I don't want the barges at this time, but maybe in the future. I need a big mechanical construct towering over the table, I had been thinking monolith but that might work too.

Chumbalaya
03-23-2012, 08:11 AM
Why is Orikan there? His terrain trick is decent, but you don't have anything to take advantage of it, either something to punish an immobile opponent (scarab farm), make terrain more damaging (C'tan) or keeping him penned in (tremorstaves). His reserve re-roll isn't getting used since Deathmarks deploy how they want anyway. His superpowers are totally unreliable without a Chrono.

What are you doing with that Court? 2+ saves? Teleporting Staffs of Light? Seriously? Not only is it a huge waste of points, but you're also cutting down on your anti-tank by not taking Harbingers of Destruction.

Ark squads are ok, but without Crypteks to supplement their firepower you're paying a ton for a bunch of bolters.

Your anti-tank is a handful of gauss flayers, unsupported scarabs and 1 Stalker. Old Necrons had better AT.

The Court needs to go. Once you scrap that you can focus on making your army better. Anti-tank is a priority, either coming from lances, melta, scarabs, Command Barges, Heavy Ds or a good mix of them.

thecactusman17
03-23-2012, 12:44 PM
Orikan is there for thematic reasons as his abilities closely match those of the character I am basing him on.

I will take your comments on the court under advisement. I was made aware of a useful combo with crypteks earlier today and will be adapting my list to take advantage of it. I may or may not have points after to play with. Maybe I could replace the stalker with a ctan.

thecactusman17
03-24-2012, 12:00 AM
This list is now adapted to 2000 points.

We still have a bit of a Courtstar, true, but now it fits in much better with the original idea, a collection of super-powered individuals directing the battle and presenting a serious challenge for anyone foolish enough to engage them. The other crypteks join units and assist the C'Tan in decimating the enemy force while they try to advance into firing position through night fighting and several turns of difficult terrain (I hope).

I have added the Stormlord as his abilities most closely match the high ranged damage output I hoped to represent through my Cra Ranger stand-in.

Nox, Xelor Time Mage (Orikan the Diviner)

(Reanimated Cra Ranger) Imhotek the Stormlord

Royal Court:
(reanimated Sacrier Berserker) Lord w/ scythe, Mindshackle Scarabs, Weave, Res Orb)
(Reanimated Iop warrior) Lord w/ Scythe, Weave, Mindshackle Scarabs
Harbinger of Transmogrification (Warriors A)
Harbinger of Transmogrification (Warriors B)
harbinger of Transmogrification (Immortals)
Harbinger of Eternity w/ Chronometreon
Harbinger of Despair w/ Veil (Deathmark unit A)

Razortime, Engine of Mass Destruction (C'Tan w/ Writhing Worldscape, Pyreshards)
5 Deathmarks A
5 Deathmarks B

10 Warriors A, Ghost Ark
10 Warriors B, Ghost Ark
10 Immortals, Gauss Blasters

10 Scarabs

This is a themed list based around a time mage with some particular gear, blatantly ripped from a French cartoon called Wakfu. Nox the time mage is hellbent on collecting the soul-energy of all living races, so that he may eventually expend it all in one super-sized time reversal to 200 years in the past to save his wife and children. Truly, one of the most well-written and inspiring villains in any medium I have read or watched in years; and perfect to represent the cold, unfeeling nature of the Necrons--if you are going to undo all of your heinous acts eventually, why concern yourself with the moral inconvenience of killing nearly every living thing you encounter in a methodical genocide?