PDA

View Full Version : newbie question - large weapons

Malok1013
03-22-2012, 10:54 PM
If I say, give someone an autocannon or incinerator, they keep their chainsword or power weapon or whatever kind of melee weapon they have, right. It isn't a one or the other situation with the heavier weapons, right?
Apologies for mu n00bishness and thanks in advance for any help.

Calgar33
03-22-2012, 11:14 PM
It depends on the codex which weapon it replaces, in the Space Marine Codex a heavy weapon only replaces the bolt gun but the Marine keeps his bolt pistol. It should say in the unit entry which weapon it replaces.

Malok1013
03-22-2012, 11:18 PM
Ok okay that's what I thought, thanks. Just making sure.

Sam
03-28-2012, 03:18 PM
Ok, this is kind of a minor thing, but what codex has a unit where a single model has the options for both a heavy weapon and a power sword?

Toaster36
03-28-2012, 08:00 PM
Not a Power sword per se, but Terminators (in different flavors) can have an Assault Cannon or Cyclone Missile Launcher and a Power Fist.

lobster-overlord
03-28-2012, 08:07 PM
But Terminators do not gain the extra attack from having the +1 CCW since it's not a paired power fist. While it's an example of having the weapon, it's not a valid one for what I believe the original poster is looking at doing with them (being able to garner the +1 attack from having a HW and a CCW, which I don't think any entry allows for).

inquisitorsog
03-28-2012, 08:45 PM
But Terminators do not gain the extra attack from having the +1 CCW since it's not a paired power fist. While it's an example of having the weapon, it's not a valid one for what I believe the original poster is looking at doing with them (being able to garner the +1 attack from having a HW and a CCW, which I don't think any entry allows for).

I didn't read it that OP was looking for a +1 attack or anything, he just didn't want to lose the ability to CC entirely.

chromedog
03-30-2012, 02:46 AM
Even a model WITHOUT a ccw can still fight in cc.
It's a model with a WS of 0 that can't. That's the only way you don't fight in cc.

You still get your profile listed base attacks.
You STILL get +1A for charging.
You just don't get any extra bonus for multiple ccw or benefit from any special weapon effects.

L192837465
04-03-2012, 03:42 PM
EX: All Chaos Marines replace their bolters for weapon upgrades, and retain the pistol/ccw for that delicious +1A.

thecactusman17
04-03-2012, 07:55 PM
OP, typically when a heavy weapon is taken, the model doesn't have an option for an additional power weapon and close combat weapon or pistol. There are exceptions, however, and when those exceptions occur you play the model exactly as you would any other with that gear in assault.

So for example: if you have a chaos marine with a Bolter, pistol and CCW and you trade the bolter out, you still have a pistol and CCW for assaults. Similarly, if you upgraded that weapon to a power weapon or special weapon, then that weapon would be a power weapon in assault. However, if you traded your bolter and pistol for the heavy weapon, you would only have the combat weapon. You could maybe upgrade to a power weapon, but you would never have the assault bonus for two close combat weapons.