PDA

View Full Version : High Elf Chariot Army - 3000 pts

Mospaeda
03-24-2012, 07:56 AM
Hey all - been playing Warhammer for awhile and am thinking of trying something new with the High Elves. I haven't seen many lists that are chariot-themed out there. If you've heard of anyone fielding one similar, please let me know of their experiences.

Of course, this isn't a "sure thing" against every army, but I think it would fare well. I've jotted down some pros and cons that came to me at the end. Here's what I was thinking for 3000 pts.:

Prince on Tiranoc Chariot
- Vambraces of Defense
- Dragon Armor, Great Weapon, Shield

BSB on Tiranoc Chariot
- Armor of Destiny
- Great Weapon, Shield

Mage, Level 2, on Tiranoc Chariot
- Talisman of Preservation

25 Archers, Standard, Musician
20 Archers, Standard, Musician
20 Archers, Standard, Musician

White Lion Chariot
White Lion Chariot
White Lion Chariot
White Lion Chariot
White Lion Chariot
White Lion Chariot

Tiranoc Chariot
Tiranoc Chariot
Tiranoc Chariot
Tiranoc Chariot

Great Eagle
Great Eagle
Great Eagle
Great Eagle

Total Points - 2974

Wow, 3000 pts doesn't go far. The idea of the army is to concentrate force as needed - pair up as many chariots as you need to slam and grind your opponent down. I'm really impressed with how much damage a single lion chariot can put out, even in the rounds where it doesn't get impact hits. Mathhammer says that two lion chariots on the charge is enough to kill six basic warriors of chaos and lose one chariot in return. Add a third chariot or character on chariot to the mix...

Characters are there to mostly smash face, I've only given them 4+ wards as magic items. Any better suggestions? I've seen the cool Chariot Prince build in the tactica. I'm throwing around Life and Beasts as possible lores: Regrowth is a big advantage for chariots and Beasts would help beef up the characters into proper beat-sticks (and also be +1 to cast). Any thoughts? Do I really need the BSB or would a more combat-y hero be in order?

PROS:
- Would look sexy on the battlefield
- MSU force with better charge range than infantry and a load of S5 / S6 hits.
- Multiple units hinder enemy spell casting and artillery. Target saturation makes it harder for artillery to choose between targets and killer spells have diminished effect.
- Very mobile force that can redeploy and rush off to where needed. Slower than cav, but faster and more nimble than infantry blocks. Should have an easier time rushing into the backfield and setting up flank- and rear-charges.
- In a sense, are able to re-roll Break tests. Since you're making multiple tests vs. just one from a similar infantry block, you're more likely to have at least one unit hold.
- Archers can still effect the battle in the early turns. They have banners for Breaking Point missions and can be used to occupy a Watch Tower.
- Great Eagles can hide behind chariots when they declare a charge - stand and shoot reactions will suffer from hard cover.
- Lots of drops will let you see where your opponent deploys key units first (but also gives you a -1 for first turn).
- Smaller base size means less attacks back.
- Cannot be stomped / thunder stomped.

CONS:
- Susceptible to cannon and missile fire, but target saturation helps mitigate that somewhat. The Great Eagles should help clear out warmachine crews and smaller missile-firing units.
- Lots of charges need to be successfully rolled. Maybe overcommit the number of chargers to assure that two-three make it through? Then set up those that failed for a second wave?
- Augments have diminished effect. Basic spells will only effect one unit and mages should shoot for radius-effect buffs as much as possible.
- Increased risk from dangerous terrain.
- Could get spread out quickly (away from the general and BSB).

Now, if you're one of those guys who always responds with just "my such-and-such army would beat it", at least give some reasons why and some suggestions to improve. Just looking to try something different here and need help looking at all the angles.

Thanks -

FenrisianStuart
05-28-2012, 12:18 PM
I'm really in love with this theme build. Only problem I foresee is that 1: your lack of magic, these areHigh Elves after all. 2: if you got tied into combat with stronger opponents you won't have what it takes to last. Mobility and those impact hits are your best bet. Great build!!