PDA

View Full Version : Building a Tyranid army

Artanthos
03-25-2012, 11:38 AM
I've recently moved back to an area where 40k is being played after being away for 15 years. I am working on purchasing / building a new army and would like some constructive feedback before I finish purchasing my models. What I am intending is a nearly full reserve army that handles most competitors.

Army 1: 2000 pts
====HQ====
Tyranid Prime
-AG, lash whip, scything talons
Tyranid Prime
====Elite====
Lictor(x1)
Ymgarl (x10)
Zoanthrope(x3)
-spore
====Troop====
Genestealer(x10)
-AG, Scything
Genestealer(x10)
-AG, Scything
Hormagaunts(x20)
-AG, Toxin
Termagant(x20)
-Devourers
====Heavy====
Trygon Prime
Trygon Prime

Army 2: 1997 pts
====HQ====
Hive Tyrant
-Hive Commander, Wings, Paroxysm, Psychic Scream, Lash Whip, Scything
Tyranid Prime
====Elite====
Ymgarl (x9)
Zoanthrope(x2)
-spore
====Troop====
Genestealer(x10)
-AG, Scything
Genestealer(x10)
-AG, Scything
Hormagaunts(x20)
-AG, Toxin
Termagant(x20)
-Devourers
====Heavy====
Trygon Prime
Trygon Prime

Any feedback would be appreciated.

jifel
03-25-2012, 11:49 AM
Second list looks pretty good, Lictors aren't worth it at all. Scything talons may not be worth the points on stealers, maybe you could free points up for a third Zoanthrope.

Sonikgav
03-25-2012, 09:27 PM
====HQ====
Tyranid Prime
Tyranid Prime
Ok, but where are they going? They cant infiltrate or Deep Strike with the Stealers, you cant pod them in with the Zoans etc...Id find the points for a Tyrant. Hive Commander will help this list. Quicker reserves and an extra Outflank from the Troops Section. Wings for combat if you like or a Heavy Venom Cannon for some extra Anti Tank

====Elite====
Lictor(x1)
Not worth it on their own, Deathleaper however.....
Ymgarl (x10)
Love these guys but 10 may be too large to deploy on some Terrain pieces. I prefer 2 units of 7. 7 is more than enough for most threats short of Thunderhammer Termies or Full Ork Mobs. Mine have gone through Marine units to Hellion Hordes and everything in between.
Zoanthrope(x3)
-spore
Good but after dropping in these guys will take a pounding. Id say 2 is enough

====Troop====
Genestealer(x10)
-AG, Scything
Genestealer(x10)
-AG, Scything
Just put Toxin Sacs on em. The rule change to Scything Talons made them meh over what they were (at least to Stealers) and AG is pointless. +1 I to an I6 creature? And the extra Strength can be mitigated with Toxin Sacs as well as getting that reroll. Wound Rerolls = more chance of Rending.
Hormagaunts(x20)
-AG, Toxin
Far too flimsy to warrant all the extra toys. With a Hive Commander to let them Outflank they can be lethal but i really wouldnt invest too many points in them.
Termagant(x20)
-Devourers
Ok but Hormagaunts are better. I only take Termagants if its to slot a Tervigon in a Troop Slot.

====Heavy====
Trygon Prime
Trygon Prime
Good, Costly, but good maybe they dont need to be Primes? Youre hardly lacking Synapse and although it does add to their killyness i think normals might be enough.

Army 2: 1997 pts
====HQ====
Hive Tyrant
Tyranid Prime
Good Tyrant but again, wheres the Prime going?

====Elite====
Ymgarl (x9)
Zoanthrope(x2)
-spore
9 May still be a little big for the Ymgarls. Personally id drop that Prime in the HQ and roll 2 units of Ymgarls

====Troop====
Genestealer(x10)
-AG, Scything
Genestealer(x10)
-AG, Scything
Hormagaunts(x20)
-AG, Toxin
Termagant(x20)
-Devourers
See above for the Stealers and Hormagaunts. Again, Termagants without a Tervigon are just cheap fodder i guess.

====Heavy====
Trygon Prime
Trygon Prime
Same as above

Artanthos
03-26-2012, 06:50 AM
Ok, but where are they going? They cant infiltrate or Deep Strike with the Stealers, you cant pod them in with the Zoans etc...Id find the points for a Tyrant. Hive Commander will help this list. Quicker reserves and an extra Outflank from the Troops Section. Wings for combat if you like or a Heavy Venom Cannon for some extra Anti Tank

I was planning one attaching one to the termigants and one to the hormaguants, at least initially. Both will use Trygon burrows. The lictor gives a reserve bonus, similar to the hive tyrants.

Lictor(x1)
Not worth it on their own, Deathleaper however.....
I considered Deathleaper, but would not help with reserve roll on first turn.

Ymgarl (x10)
Love these guys but 10 may be too large to deploy on some Terrain pieces. I prefer 2 units of 7. 7 is more than enough for most threats short of Thunderhammer Termies or Full Ork Mobs. Mine have gone through Marine units to Hellion Hordes and everything in between.
Given the currently popularity of Draigo and his paladins, I wanted a unit that could engage. Hopefully long enough for genestealer reinforcements.

Zoanthrope(x3)
-spore
Good but after dropping in these guys will take a pounding. Id say 2 is enough

I agree: they are one round of firepower, followed by drawing enemy fire long enouch for the assualt trroups to move into position.

Genestealer(x10)
-AG, Scything
Just put Toxin Sacs on em. The rule change to Scything Talons made them meh over what they were (at least to Stealers) and AG is pointless. +1 I to an I6 creature? And the extra Strength can be mitigated with Toxin Sacs as well as getting that reroll. Wound Rerolls = more chance of Rending.
I'll have to look up the rule change on scything talons, will probably replace both with toxin.
Hormagaunts(x20)
-AG, Toxin
Far too flimsy to warrant all the extra toys. With a Hive Commander to let them Outflank they can be lethal but i really wouldnt invest too many points in them.[/quote]I agree: screening unit to provide cover / keep more important units from being assualted. May drop the toys. On the other hand, they pose a significant threat if assaulting non-marines.

Termagant(x20)
-Devourers
Ok but Hormagaunts are better. I only take Termagants if its to slot a Tervigon in a Troop Slot.
I can't resist: 60 at close range after emerging from a trygon burrow. If they don't work, I'll change them our for additional Hormagaunts.

Trygon Prime
Trygon Prime
Good, Costly, but good maybe they dont need to be Primes? Youre hardly lacking Synapse and although it does add to their killyness i think normals might be enough.
If I drop the primes, I'll probably just replace with mawlocs. I admit to being paranoid about having synapse / shadows coverage though. These are meant to provide a round of firepower after burrowing followed by tank hunting. If the opponents lacks tanks, they can draw fire / provide fire support.

Sonikgav
03-26-2012, 08:12 AM
Deathleaper doesn't help with reserve rolls 1st turn but neither do Lictors. They have the same rule. The Lictor is a bad choice if U want fast reserves as their ability doesn't work untill turn 3 at the earliest and by that time its a 2+ roll anyway.

+1 reserves = Hive Commander

Pheremone trail may be usefull for late game Deepstriking however.

The Ymgarls won't take on Drago alone, no matter the size. This whole book is about units working together. A nice Synergy to have is Deathleaper making Draigo a possible LD7 to avoid Psychic crap, then WS1 the whole unit with a Tyrants Paroxism then assault with Ymgarls. Hope you win that combat.

Artanthos
03-26-2012, 02:02 PM
Deathleaper doesn't help with reserve rolls 1st turn but neither do Lictors. They have the same rule. The Lictor is a bad choice if U want fast reserves as their ability doesn't work untill turn 3 at the earliest and by that time its a 2+ roll anyway.

+1 reserves = Hive Commander

Pheremone trail may be usefull for late game Deepstriking however.I'll be going with the Hive Tyrant then. Pheremone trail was only a side benefit.

The Ymgarls won't take on Drago alone, no matter the size. This whole book is about units working together. A nice Synergy to have is Deathleaper making Draigo a possible LD7 to avoid Psychic crap, then WS1 the whole unit with a Tyrants Paroxism then assault with Ymgarls. Hope you win that combat.No, I never thought they could do it alone. I was hoping they could manage, at best, to remove a few models after the target is softened up by incoming fire. Against softer targets, 10 is probably overkill. I don't want to eliminate my target on the initial charge.

Artanthos
03-26-2012, 06:19 PM
New army:
====HQ====
Hive Tyrant
Tyranid Prime
====Elite====
Deathleaper
Ymgarl (x7)
Zoanthrope(x2)
-spore
====Troop====
Genestealer(x9)
-toxin
Genestealer(x9)
-toxin
Hormagaunts(x20)
-AG, Toxin
Termagant(x20)
-Devourers
====Heavy====
Trygon Prime
Trygon Prime

I looked around for any errata on scything talons, but the only thing I could find was the clarification in the 2012 FAQ allowing them to stack with other special weapons.

newtoncain
03-26-2012, 08:31 PM
New army:
====HQ====
Hive Tyrant
Tyranid Prime
====Elite====
Deathleaper
Ymgarl (x7)
Zoanthrope(x2)
-spore
====Troop====
Genestealer(x9)
-toxin
Genestealer(x9)
-toxin
Hormagaunts(x20)
-AG, Toxin
Termagant(x20)
-Devourers
====Heavy====
Trygon Prime
Trygon Prime

I looked around for any errata on scything talons, but the only thing I could find was the clarification in the 2012 FAQ allowing them to stack with other special weapons.

This looks like a deployment denile army. YOur Dev Guants need a pod.
I've had any luck w/ the Deathleaper
Need AG on your Trygon primes, maybe make one a standard Trygon
Dump the warrior prime.