PDA

View Full Version : Dwarf Runes in 8th

Saigan
03-26-2012, 01:13 PM
Ok so I've used the search function, and google a fair bit to try and find an answer.

Having only recently started to collect Fantasy - High Elves (long time 40k player), I've got a game lined up in a month against a Dwarf player.

My question is in 2 parts really:
1) How do Dwarf Runes work in 8th?
My opponent has been somewhat vague, I'm reluctant to buy the army book myself just for 1 game, and my local GW it entirely depends on which staff member you ask.

2) Can runes be dispelled like any other spell or bound item in the game?

I'm already plan on taking Teclis in my army to hamper his dispels.

Encarmine
03-26-2012, 04:24 PM
they just modify what he puts them on, they cannot be dispelled not a bound spell.

Mr.Pickelz
03-26-2012, 04:40 PM
Dwarf Runes, allow a lord or hero to Outfit their weapon with upgrades, such as +1 Strength and so on. "Runic" Weapons are counted as Magic weapons, a lord/hero can choose Runic Weapon Armor and Talisman Modifiers. The Talisman Modifiers are mostly Anti-Magic stuff, like Master Rune of Balance, and Spelleater/Spellbreaker. Armor, can give better a save and resistances to poison and killing blow as well as some other nice stuff (costs a lot).

Saigan
03-27-2012, 04:17 AM
Ok, so where does striking runes on the Anvil of Doom come in?

Samules
03-27-2012, 12:45 PM
Ok, a few different things here that are Runes:

Equipment Runes: Basically building blocks of magic items. You can combine 3 on any magic item. (with restrictions like no 2 master runes in the army, no copied combination of runes)

Runesmiths and Runelords: Regular heroes and lords but they add 1 or 2 dispel dice respectively to the pool and can take specialized anti-magic equipment runes.

Anvil of Doom: It uses spell like effects but does not use power dice to do so. Three different abilities each one succeeds on a one die roll 2+ or a 4+ if you want to use the nastier version. You can't actually stop these with dispel as they do not use power dice.

In storm of magic they get nastier versions of the anvil's abilities on fulcrums but these are a whole other animal.

Nick Soapdish
03-27-2012, 02:30 PM
I think it's best to view the Anvil of Doom as a war machine. It's best to use the same tactics against it as any other war machine.

Or, you can always hope it blows up.

Blackthorne
04-04-2012, 06:52 PM
The reason you can't dispel the anvil of doom is because it happens in the shooting phase, not the magic phase. As much as it is explained as the way Dwarves have magic, in game terms it works nothing like normal magic casting. Just think of it as a special type of war machine that doesn't shoot things but throws buffs and hexes around.