PDA

View Full Version : noob

rook
03-26-2012, 04:09 PM
anyone have an idea what would be a good army and army list for someone brand new to fantasy? coolness of models, effectiveness, and cost are the three big factors for me (in that order)

khsrio621
03-26-2012, 04:49 PM
Well, that depends on your idea of what coolness is.
For example, I think dinosaurs are effing awesome, so I went with a lizardmen army with as many Stegadons and jungle critters as possible. What do you think is cool?

Lord Sigmar
03-26-2012, 06:38 PM
play daemons :)

1. They are awesomely cool models
2. They are really effective in fantasy
3. Not bad cost for a fantasy army, doubles as a 40k army

khsrio621
03-27-2012, 02:38 PM
play daemons :)

In addition to the three bonuses you already mentioned, you would have four different visual styles available to you, so daemons also has great potential for cool stuff (bloodcrushers make me happy).

T-ORK-amada
03-27-2012, 05:00 PM
For a new player, I think Lizardmen are a great starter army. They look awesome. They are resilient enough to make up for Newbie mistakes and they have something to do in every phase of the game to help learn the rules. they are kind of like the space marines of fantasy. Dead Hard.

Alex the Everchosen
07-06-2012, 12:18 PM
I'm not sure, I think Chaos Warriors are great on coolness and effectiveness, and if you mainly field blocks of warriors, they aren't too expensive. Daemons are good, but at £20 for 10 the cost is a bit steep for beginners...

Thornblood
07-26-2012, 10:18 AM
Fantasy is quite a balanced game. Pick the models or theme you liek the best or you wont stick or get things painted.

Id currently avoid Brettonians and Wood Elves.

But apart from that anything is fair game.

Ogres make for a good beginners army as they make great allies for every other race if you want to change and the low model count means that they are cheap to buy. Also with there resiliance your not taking off too many models at a time so you dont get too demoralized and they get some big fun monsters.

Undead armies (Vampire Counts and Tomb Kings) work slightly differently, and even daemons are similar so it could be a bit much to learn in terms of new rules for a new game, but really its not a big problem.

High elves are very forgiving in this edition, plus they have access to dragons. Whats not to like about dragons?