PDA

View Full Version : Tau 1000pts Please Help!

Lindargo
09-20-2009, 07:38 AM
Here it goes:

Note; (HW) stands for Hard-Wired.

Shas'O:
-Plasma R.
-Shield Generator
-Stims. Injectors (HW)
-Missile Pod
-Multi-Tracker (HW)
-Shield Drone (HW)

1 Bodyguard:
-Plasma Rifle
-Missile Pod
-Multi Tracker (HW)
-Targeting Array (HW)
-Shield Drone

11 Fire Warriors:
-Shas'ui
-Marker Drone

11 Fire Warriors:
-Shas'ui
-Marker Drone
--Devilfish
-Disruption Pods
-Sensor Spines

1 Pirahna:
-Fusion Blaster
-Targeting Array
-Disruption Pods

1 Broadside:
-Advanced Stabilization System
-Shas'vre
-Shield Drone

It'd be great to hear what you guys think. Even if your comment is: Bad.
Thanks,
Lindargo,

Shas'O D'Narb
09-20-2009, 11:51 AM
The 1000ish point range for Tau is actually pretty decent for us... that said, if we're trying to maintain a modicum of mobility in the army, we end up pretty short on volume of fire, particularly when we try to create a TAC list. I think that might be the main difficulty you face with your presented army.

For what it's worth, I quickly only counted 841 points spent based on what I saw. Anyway, here are a few of my thoughts:

- Your ShasO/ShasVre combo is pretty expensive. I wonder if you can pare down the expensive protections a little bit to save a bundle of points. Particularly in a 1000pt game, it would be harsh to lose such an expensive unit to minimal fire... it would only take a tiny bit of shooting to strip away the drones and then a couple S8 lances or missiles will instakill the pricey multiwound suits. That said, the MP is a brilliant all-purpose weapon to equip and the PR is nice to have on board for when things get pressured against MEqs/Teqs. It might be worth taking a cheaper ShasEl with a TA to retain the shooting accuracy. Doing this and removing the SI/SG would save you 45 points.

- I assume your dismounted Fire Warrior squad's ShasUi has a BK too? In a squad that size, I think it's worth it, particularly if they're not protected in armour. I also think giving them a Marker Drone for a whopping 30pts isn't probably going to pay dividends over the course of a game. Against light infantry in cover, you would probably only kill 1 extra enemy every couple of turns. Because of that, I would consider dropping the drone and actually reducing squad size to 9 as well. This would give you 50 more points to spend.

- I kinda like your mounted Fire Warrior squad except, again, for the drone. I see how using both drones from the two squads would give your mounted FWs a chance to dismount and quite possibly at BS4 but with the poor AP, it won't hit too much harder against MEqs... but the problem with this is that the drone won't be able to fire its markerlight upon dismounting because it's a heavy weapon and its controller is infantry, which doesn't confer relentless like our battlesuits. In other words, I think it's a points sink. If you were absolutely set on this sort of thing, I would maybe max out your mounted FWs and give the dismounted FW Shas'Ui a markerlight to carry, a HW target lock, and an actual Marker Drone or two. Regardless, my preference is to carry minimized (60pts) FW squads in Warfish. I just don't think FWs are terribly useful except to effectively make the Devilfish a scoring vehicle. I added up 245pts for your Devilfish team... minimized FWs in a nicely kitted out Warfish will cost you about 180-190 points... or 150ish points in a Dumbfish. This would give you 55-100 extra points to spend.

- Piranha, yay! Imho, you have the optimum setup for a Piranha running singly. That said, if you do intend on running markerlights, a seeker or two would allow the Piranha to move fast up a flank and smack a tank in the side armour with it.

- I love Broadsides but only one of them with a single drone is going to be a huge fire magnet. Since they wouldn't likely last too long, and the Piranha is pretty easy to kill, that would leave your army with an inability to fight armour effectively. Then again, if you are able to save some points with any changes you might make, you could add a number of things to help offset this vulnerability.

- In summary, I think saving a few points here and there will allow you to flush out some of the lack of protection and lack of anti-armour in the army presented. Good luck!

Lindargo
09-20-2009, 02:31 PM
- In summary, I think saving a few points here and there will allow you to flush out some of the lack of protection and lack of anti-armour in the army presented. Good luck!

You know when you have one of those days when you just forget everything?
There's also a Hammerhead in the list, i might drop the mounted FW's marker drone for shield.

Would it be a good idea to swap the Piranha for another broadside or the other way around?
Lindargo,

Shas'O D'Narb
09-21-2009, 08:26 PM
Would it be a good idea to swap the Piranha for another broadside or the other way around?
Tough call, I'm a fan of both, to be honest... I suppose if you're set between the two, you can't go wrong with another Piranha to help with some easy contesting later on, and additional mobile anti-armour deterrent.

Farsight
09-21-2009, 08:38 PM
If you really needed another AT unit, suicide crisis can are effective and cheap. As for broadside or piranha, I'd go with piranha. Seeker missiles work well and as D'Narb said late game grabs are really nice.