PDA

View Full Version : IG 2000 points - back to the hobby

szym
03-29-2012, 03:36 PM
I've stopped playing WH40k about 2-3 years ago but last week I've decided to finally dust off remains of my IG army. This army list consist only from minis that I've got left, so I haven't had much choice creating it - I'm looking for suggestions how to improve it.

Oh, and I'm sorry for mistakes, English isn't my native language.

HQ:

1) Company Command Squad 50
Lord Castellan Creed 90
Medi-pack 30
Vox 5
2x Grenade Launcher 2x 5

Elites:

1) Storm Trooper Squad 85
Power weapon 10
Meltagun 10
Plasma gun 15

2) Marbo 65

Troops:

1) Veteran Squad 70
3x flamer 3x5

2) Veteran Squad 70
Gunnery Sergeant Harker 55
3x meltagun 3x 10

3) Veteran Squad 70
Sergeant Lucas Bastonne 60
Vox caster 5
3x plasma gun 3x 15

4) Chimera 55
Heavy stubber 10
Extra armour 15

5) Platoon Command Squad 30
Power weapon 10
Plasma pistol 10
Vox caster 5
Autocannon 10
Grenade launcher 5

6) Infantry Squad 50
Vox caster 5
Flamer 5

7) Infantry Squad 50
Vox caster 5
Flamer 5

8) Infantry Squad 50
Vox caster 5
Flamer 5

9) Heavy Weapon Squad 60
3x Lascannon 3x 15

10) Heavy Weapon Squad 60
3x Missile launcher 3x 10

11) Heavy Weapon Squad 60
2x Heavy bolter 2x 5
Autocannon 5

Fast Attack:

1) Armoured Sentinel 55
Plasma cannon 20

2) Vendetta 130

Heavy Support:

1) Leman Russ Battletank 150
Lascannon 15
Heavy bolter sponsons 20
Extra armour 15

2) Leman Russ Battletank 150
Heavy bolter sponsons 20
Extra armour 15

artfcllyflvrd
03-29-2012, 03:58 PM
Welcome back.

I know you're probably trying to work with what models you have. But there are a lot of unit configurations that might have been useful in 4th edition but just are plain not any good anymore. I'm gonna list some of the bigger instances where I think you could save a lot of points by dropping or reconfiguring stuff.

CCS - Grenade launchers are pretty useless. If you can swap these out for a mortar. You can hide this squad, still issue orders, and still shoot. Or else an autocannon or some other heavy long range weapon would be fine, but then you can't hide and shoot.

Storm troopers - I'm not a big fan of the deepstriking thing, but you'll want two melta guns and you can drop the power weapon. Keep em cheap, they won't ever do anything useful in CC even with the power weapon.

Flamer Vets need a ride, I'm guessing they go in the vendetta. A flamer SWS is cheaper and will do the same job of making the vendetta scoring, because other than that they won't really ever affect the battle.

Harker and Bastione I'm just not big fans of. You could drop the characters and give both these squads rides and they would be alright.

I usually run my chimeras barebones, so the EA and HS could be dropped. Cheap cheap cheap is the name of the game, a HB and EA get you half way to another chimera.

The flamer infantry squads should be blobbed up with melta guns instead of flamers. If you're going to blob you also only need 1 vox, not one in each squad. With some of the points you saved elsewhere you should also grab a commisar and power weapons for these sarges. The units as is are just free kill points that will do nothing but lose the game for you.

I don't like sponsons on russes. You can't move 6 and crack off all your S5 shots like you used to be able to. Instead of HB sponsons I personally like a lascannon on the hull better, but that's just me.

I hope that gives you some ideas. If you can proxy most of those changes for a few games I think you'll find your list gets a lot meaner and tighter.

szym
03-30-2012, 01:08 PM
Thank you for your reply.
Are heavy weapons on basic infantry squads really necessary? All my infantry squads had heavy weapons + sharpshooters doctrine in previous edition and always ended up staying in one position only to shot this heavy dakka (usually without doing much good). This time I want something more mobile – especially after my last game when my guardsmens killed with bayonetes Calgar, Librarian and like 10 SM plus few Sterns.
I’m also thinking about some heavy artillery – I miss my old basilisks :(

Mephiston69
03-30-2012, 01:15 PM
Manticors are also pretty useful against just about everything
What armies do you think you'll be facing the most?

szym
03-30-2012, 01:47 PM
Unfortunately only “tough” guys: SM, CSM and Necrons – 40k community is slowly dying in my city so I won't have much choice :/