PDA

View Full Version : 1850 Nids Competitive

ksoh75
04-02-2012, 11:14 AM
So being back into the game, I created a list for the first time with the ned Nid codex and have some different things from various people giving me ideas and from lurking in several forums to get a feel for what I want and have come up with this list.

Please let me know what you all think.

1850 Pts - Tyranids Roster - Nids1850.6

HQ: The Swarmlord
3 Tyrant Guard Brood
(Lash Whip)

Troops: 13 Genestealer Brood x4
(Toxin Sacs)

Elite: 3 Zoanthrope Brood
1 Mycetic Spore

Heavy Support: 1 Tyrannofex
(Rupture Cannon; Cluster Spines; Thorax Swarm (larvae))

Total Roster Cost: 1844

Obviously the goal is to Infiltrate the stealers towards objectives.....Run the Tyrant Guard up the middle with the Storm Lord right behind them to soak up shot and take out any targets as I go.

The Tfex will support with taking out any hard hitting weapons as well as leveling down hoards of troops and then hope by turn 2 or 3, Drop my Zoans in a critical area and use the sport to block an importan objective as the zoans use their Psyker abilities and mop up mobs and or vehicles that the Tfex can't get to.

Another list I have has a Trygon Prime in there instead of the 4th squad of Stealers.

Thanks gang!

MattHoell
04-02-2012, 11:57 AM
I run a very similar list and I find the Trygon prime much better than the Tyrannofex. With it's speed or DS it gets right in the enemy's face and messes them up big time.

I also find a unit of hive guard invaluable, especially in the era of mech spam. Stick them behind your death star and they can pop tanks so your steelers can get at the nice juicey stuff inside.

On a tactics note, never be afraid outflank your steelers, remember the Swarmlord gives you +1 reserves and an outflank reroll, which means they will come in early and generally where you need them.

ksoh75
04-02-2012, 12:06 PM
I run a very similar list and I find the Trygon prime much better than the Tyrannofex. With it's speed or DS it gets right in the enemy's face and messes them up big time.

I also find a unit of hive guard invaluable, especially in the era of mech spam. Stick them behind your death star and they can pop tanks so your steelers can get at the nice juicey stuff inside.

On a tactics note, never be afraid outflank your steelers, remember the Swarmlord gives you +1 reserves and an outflank reroll, which means they will come in early and generally where you need them.

So if I bring Hive guard to the table....and love the no LoS rule on them, what do I replace them with???

Stealers agreed on....was thinking about doing that to 2 of the squads.

Agree on the Prime....I love that model.

I origionally had 2 in the list but the love of the Tfex just makes me go mwhahahahahhahaha.....and they always say, if you really like the look of something play it until you realize it really sucks....so that's what 'm going to do....

MattHoell
04-02-2012, 01:42 PM
My problem with the fex is on average you will only hit with 1 shot per turn, then factor in the fact that we will be towards the back of the field so the enemy will be getting a 4+ cover negating 1/2 of your results. True it's str 10, but have the the Zoes for high armor targets. With the HG you get 4 hits that ignore line of sight.

I would drop poison on a squad or two, while it is awesome and I have never regretted taking it, its overkill on all your units, when just one or two really need it.

ksoh75
04-03-2012, 06:45 AM
My problem with the fex is on average you will only hit with 1 shot per turn, then factor in the fact that we will be towards the back of the field so the enemy will be getting a 4+ cover negating 1/2 of your results. True it's str 10, but have the the Zoes for high armor targets. With the HG you get 4 hits that ignore line of sight.

I would drop poison on a squad or two, while it is awesome and I have never regretted taking it, its overkill on all your units, when just one or two really need it.

So kill the Fex and replace with Hive Guard? Leave 1 Prime??

And there is no such thing as overkill....lol

MattHoell
04-03-2012, 07:54 AM
Yup, fair enough :D

ksoh75
04-03-2012, 08:27 AM
Yup, fair enough :D

OK so on that note, here's what my list will look like....

1850 Pts - Tyranids Roster - Nids1850.6.2

HQ: The Swarmlord
3 Tyrant Guard Brood (Lash Whip)

Troops: 15 Genestealer Brood x3
(Toxin Sacs)

Elite: 3 Zoanthrope Brood
1 Mycetic Spore

Elite: 3 Hive Guard Brood

Heavy Support:
Trygon Prime

Total Roster Cost: 1850

Now I can seperate out the Stealers and run 1 12 man squad and 3 11 man squads for 4 troop choices for same amount of points...

Now what do you think???

the jeske
04-03-2012, 09:21 AM
what do you do if your opponent is able to either deploy infiltrators before you or plays SW and pushes you army almost in to the deployment zone ? you outflank ? because then you have 2 targets vs whole opposing army for 1-2 turns .

ksoh75
04-03-2012, 09:36 AM
what do you do if your opponent is able to either deploy infiltrators before you or plays SW and pushes you army almost in to the deployment zone ? you outflank ? because then you have 2 targets vs whole opposing army for 1-2 turns .

Well with this list....I hold off and only infiltrate 2 squads of troops.....leave the 3rd or 4th....depending.....to pop on board later.

I'll also have that Tprime running around the board causing havoc on and surprising armies.

And don't forget, the Zoans will DS on a pie plate that has a 6inch reach and will help hold up a charging force and block LoS while the Zoans can start picking apart as soon as they land.

It all comes down to the dice tho.

If you are playing Tourny style, it all comes down to tactics. If you are playin for fun, it doesn't matter. You just keep tweaking or play a fluff list. Not every army or person will do this.

But sleep with you dice and win inititive. Show some love and they will love you back...lol:)

MattHoell
04-03-2012, 10:06 AM
I would go for 4 units, it gives you more flexibly.

I play with this build all the time, the only addition is have a Tyranid prime with the Swarm lord.

When I play I only deploy the 2 units.

The Swarmlord and this guard are ridiculously resilient. You have 11 T6 wounds with a 3+ save. What I do is hop from cover to cover with the unit and get a 4+ save.

I have played this list for a while against all armies including DE and Grey Knight Mech spam, this unit always makes it to turn 3 and usually survives the whole game as once turn 2 rolls around the enemy has a ton more threats in their face.

ksoh75
04-03-2012, 10:29 AM
I would go for 4 units, it gives you more flexibly.

I play with this build all the time, the only addition is have a Tyranid prime with the Swarm lord.

When I play I only deploy the 2 units.

The Swarmlord and this guard are ridiculously resilient. You have 11 T6 wounds with a 3+ save. What I do is hop from cover to cover with the unit and get a 4+ save.

I have played this list for a while against all armies including DE and Grey Knight Mech spam, this unit always makes it to turn 3 and usually survives the whole game as once turn 2 rolls around the enemy has a ton more threats in their face.

NICE!!! Resilience is what I'm looking for. As for the Units, after looking at it, I agree. Break it down. I was going to run a unit of Warriors but I said egh.....Stealers are just as effective.....if not more.

And yeah, between the Lord and Prime, they will dish out alot of crap. The Tyran Guard are there to soak up wounds and thing out forces with those lash whips......

Solid list then you think?

MattHoell
04-03-2012, 11:07 AM
I think it's a solid list and would give it a couple of play tests to tweek it here or there to see what works for you.

Yeah, I tried warriors, being only T4 with a 4+ save pretty much negates all those wounds, I'd stick with the stealers.

Brandoncbaker
05-10-2012, 08:44 PM
I find that 15 stealers in a unit will be overill. If it were me I'd run 9-10 man at most with one being a broodlord. The brood lord is a beast,and let's you have some nice wound allocation chances.

Brandoncbaker
05-10-2012, 08:47 PM
Not to mention if you can reduce you tyrant guard to 2 and attach a Tyranid prime with regen to your Zoantropes.the tough 5 wound allocation will keep them alive longer against high str weapons.

dwez
05-11-2012, 05:48 AM
I find that 15 stealers in a unit will be overill. If it were me I'd run 9-10 man at most with one being a broodlord. The brood lord is a beast,and let's you have some nice wound allocation chances.

I agree, I'm essentially using the Genestealers as cannon fodder/delivery mechanism for the Brood lord, much like the Tyrant Guard do for the Tyrant/Swarmlord. I run a toxin brood and an adrenal brood. The Adrenals are useful in popping light tanks and Dreadnoughts but it does require them to sometimes be in the right place at the right time

Not to mention if you can reduce you tyrant guard to 2 and attach a Tyranid prime with regen to your Zoantropes.the tough 5 wound allocation will keep them alive longer against high str weapons.

Of course if the Prime is with the Zoanthropes he can't join them in the Mycetic Spore:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_dZ-GLhcvuoQ/TSxPmNP05RI/AAAAAAAAAeQ/1yrFeuNcAZE/s320/spore.gif

Personally I find the Zoanthropes a nightmare, I'm not sure if one has ever done anything it was supposed to do. You have to pass the psychic test, and despite Shadows in the Warp there seem to be plenty of other armies with a similar skill that affects you. Even then you have to roll to hit and penetrate. The only thing they usually do is soak up fire, but being insta-killed by Long-Fang pack becomes inevitable. If you wanted to redirect fire then a unit of Termagants with Devourers in the spore pod dropped next to mech or an objective and 30+ Devourer shots tends to get peoples attention, especially when it's a scoring unit. They may fail their Instinctive Behaviour the following turn but if you position them well it may be the cover they lurk to is the cover surrounding an objective.

Competitive-wise you probably need to stop taking 'nids ;) Seriously though for annihilation anyway I think it's an uphill struggle but that's only a third of missions. Objective-based ones - then there are chances and they rely on the likes of a Tervigon to dominate your objectives and poop Termagants to scuttle off and capture others, whilst using Genestealers to outflank and hopefully take out your opponents troops who are holding their objectives, or Mycetic Spores offloading troops to do the same. That's the only way I've had success [and not much at that], by being able to get around the table to objectives my opponent hasn't captured. Good luck with it.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-EGSaOePfMrU/T1S3iATgYgI/AAAAAAAAB6k/I268cTIeg4o/s320/arminius_1-%252827%2529.jpg

Tynskel
05-11-2012, 06:10 AM
As much as people complain- the screamer killer is still the best hv tank stomper the bugs have--- auto pen almost every vehicle on chager with 5 re-rolling to hit attacks. I4, with frags!

You just gotta give your opponent something else to shoot, or give them cover and FNP.