PDA

View Full Version : Tyranids 1850

jifel
04-05-2012, 05:10 PM
Well I like to advise people on their lists, so I guess I should put up my own Tyranids too to be fair.

HQ:

Warrior Prime no upgrades
Tervigon-Catalyst TS

Troops

2x20 Hgaunts TS AG
11 Gants
Tervigon-Catalyst TS

Elites
2x3 HG
Venomthrope

HS
2 Tyrannofex w/ Rupture Cannons

FA
10 Gargoyles

The prime joins the Venomthrope to exend the cover and put some forward synapse/shadow in the middle of the army giving cover to everyone. HG and Tyrannos obviously kill vehicles, and the Tyrannos are also missile proof, which nice in my SW heavy LGS. The H gaunts arent "net" but I find work very well as they can soak up wounds and the Gargs are the best screen unit in the game in my mind. Basically everything advances, and screws things up! Biggest problem would be anti Land raider but if I come across them theres rarely a lot of other vehicles, so I usually can glance and shake them or maybe get lucky with Tyrannos, but if not I ll spawn gant screens, take the charge and then hit them with H gaunts and crush the vehicles with MCs.

The Plumber
04-09-2012, 06:17 AM
Good plan. I have played about 20 games with nids so Im still a bit of a noob, but I used to run (until the awsome swarmlord kit came out) a prime with ad. glands and a pair of boneswords. this is only an extra 20 points, but at S6 I6 on the charge with A5, watch him cut down paladins/nobz etc because of the instant death on 3D6 rule.

2 tyrannofexes should easily handle the odd landraider, but If your really worried about them, swap one out for 2 or 3 zoans in a spore. Best LR hunters in the game IMO, only oblitorators come close to them.

MattHoell
04-09-2012, 07:20 AM
I don't have a rule book in font of me, but I don't think ICs can join units of 1.

Sonikgav
04-09-2012, 08:19 AM
I don't have a rule book in font of me, but I don't think ICs can join units of 1.

They can't join units that can only ever be 1. Like Tervigons or Tyrannofexes etc. If a unit can have more models in a brood then you can still join, even if you've only taken a brood of 1 such as a Carnifex or the Venomthrope in this example.

jifel
04-13-2012, 03:57 PM
Thnaks for the feedback. I took it to an RTT and was pretty satisfied. I lost one game, but that was more of a tactics error than a list problem. In DOW deployment against Lash CSM I put my 2 Hormagaunt squads and Tervigon up front, unfortunately my army was divided and I lost 7-6 on killpoints. (it doesnt help that 8 berzerkers only failed 3 out of 24 saves) The next two games I trashed another CSM lash list by deploying my army as a whole and trashing his parking lot. I then sat on 3 of the five objectives and made him charge towards me, where I tied up and eventually killed nearly all of his units except two obliterators and a single Noise Marine Squad. Last game i played a wolf star list with 3 Thundercav, 2 thunderlords and a JotWW preist, plus long fanngs and 3 greyhunter squads in rhinos. Again I deployed my whole army together. I held back and deployed my gargoyles in a screen with Venomthrope cover and took pot shots at his rhinos, and waited for him to get close. He eventually hit the gargoyles and naturally smashed them, but in return I put all 40 H gaunts into the WolfStar. 120 poison attacks later Id wounded a lord and killed the squad itself. The Warrior Born lord took a massive amount of wounds to die, at one point passing all twelve saves. Nevertheless I wiped the unit after a few rounds, and then sent the survivors to kill the Rune Preist. The big central combat had blocked the preist from Jawsing my Tervigon, and I managed to shadow him with my warrior and prevent him from sniping my TFexs. In the end I held three table quarters to his one, he had the full long fang squad and 2 fleeing grey hunters left, but nothing else. Overall, Hive Guards are great, and Tyrannofexs are tough as heck to kill, as well as being great with damage. Having two is a lot more reliable than one. Over 3 games with 4 monstrous creatures, I only lost a tyrannofex once and a tervigon twice, to Chaos Terminators, a persistent LF squad, and a hidden PFist in some stubborn grey hunters, which is pretty good overall. I never took any heavy casualties, my one loss came from overexposing 3 units, and a few ill timed spawns.

Tynskel
04-14-2012, 08:22 PM
I am curious to if you can improve your army by removing the HQ Tervigon, and replace them with some genestealers (or another appropriate shock assault unit).

alshrive
04-16-2012, 04:57 AM
you don't have anything particularly fast to keep the Gargoyles in Synapse range- i think you may find that the army is very quickly out of Synapse- as at a cursory glance- you have taken only 3 synapse creatures. Personally i don't feel this is enough. at 1820 myself i am fielding a tyrant and 2 tervigons as well as quite often some shrikes to get extra synapse where needed, this is however, just from my experience and if you find that you have enough synapse there then go with it

ALShrive

jifel
04-18-2012, 02:13 PM
The gargoyles dont use their full movement, their only purpose is to serve as a screen of cover for the rest of my army. And as for Synapse, my army performs best as a blob. not split up, so one Synapse creature is technically enough, and the Tervigons are quite survivable with both cover and often FNP, while the prime can hide in various units. My army can usually neutralize enough long range shooting for my Synapse to survive, and the H gaunts mean my Tervigons are rarely assaulted. As for replacing a Tervi with some steelers, they could fit with my list but Ive never really been a huge fan of steelers, as theyre usually too far away from the rest of my army to benefit from the Venom-cover or FNP. Im going to take this same list to another RTT this weekend, I ll post how it goes.

Tynskel
04-18-2012, 03:48 PM
well, you do not always have to 'outflank' or 'infiltrate' genestealers.

jifel
04-18-2012, 04:27 PM
Quite true. Ive playtested Genesteelers but they just always seem to draw too much fire and get taken down below effective size too easily, unless you have a lot of them.

Tynskel
04-18-2012, 10:39 PM
ah, yes. the "Fear Factor". Genestealers still have the same fear factor since the early days of Space Hulk.

Rightfully so, though. They slaughter heavy infantry pretty easily. Especially with the help of hormogaunts.

Have you thought about some Sky Slashers? Those can be really good for tarpitting (and if used correctly, smashing units).

ActionJackson
04-29-2012, 05:44 AM
I always had a lot of success with a 20 man strong gargoyle unit with poison. It's a great screen as you said, and it's so damn big that you can smash the remainder into a unit as long as they'll be in synapse, and you'll clog up shooting lanes for a turn since they'll likely survive, giving you that crucial turn to get closer. if you can get them preferred enemy with a swarmlord or something, I've actually had them take down some pretty decent competition, and for the points they're hard to match in the nid book.