PDA

View Full Version : Tau 1850

ksoh75
04-07-2012, 01:56 PM
SO with getting back to the greater good with looming 6th edition about, I thought it was time to come back home to one of my favorite armies.....Tau.....yeah yeah yeah people ***** and complain but I enjoyed losing with this army, and my tactics have improved so much. Not just mentally but sharply as well.

So below is my list....I'll explain below how things can and will work. This list either way, I don't care if I win or lose initiative....it all comes down to how my opponent sets......and I will be watching with a keen eye.

UPDATED LIST BELOW

ksoh75
04-08-2012, 07:24 AM
Must be that good....lol

Tynskel
04-08-2012, 01:48 PM
nope. you are posting a list that is the same as every other tau list. Hence, why tau need a new codex.

fuzzyguy
04-08-2012, 02:57 PM
nope. you are posting a list that is the same as every other tau list. Hence, why tau need a new codex.

Actually, it is quite different.

Here are some ideas to help you improve your list!

First off, Your suits lack multitrackers. Without them you can not fire both the plasma and missile pod.
Shield Drones are pretty rubbish and expensive with the exception being them attached to Broadsides. Drop them from your HQ. Your HQ need not the TA and twinlinked. Go Plasma, missile pod, multitracker, and Targeting Array only if you have spare points. Keep your costs low. The elite slot suits should be plas.miss, multi, with a possible team leader with TA on top of that wargear.
EMP is overly costly and not going to be used. You Firewarriors should never leave the fish or the wreckage of the fish. Drop the Devilfish from your firewarriors and have them hop in the Pathfinder one at the start of the turn. Pathfinders should drop grenades and instead maximize the squad for the most markerlights possible if you are going to have them. The Hammerhead should drop the SMS and just use the Burstcannons, it also needs a multitracker so you can move 12" and still fire the rail cannon.

There are some other things I would do with the Broadsides, like take 3 with the following for each member- A:Plasma, Multi B:Target Lock C:Plasma, Target Lock, Team Leader, Multitracker, Drone Controller w/ 2x Shield Drones. You have 3 different potential targets for your suits, each is equipped differently for maximum wound allocation, and when/if you get deepstrikers on near your suits (which should be in cover btw) you have 4 twinlinked plasma, and 3 twinlinked rail cannon shots to pump into whatever is threatening you.

I would also try and squeeze in another unit of Kroot like the one above. That way you have at least one for a bubble wrap for your firebase, pirahnas for blocking, and the fishw/fw, and the second kroot squad to try and hold objectives.

Hope that helps.

ksoh75
04-08-2012, 06:49 PM
Actually, it is quite different.

Here are some ideas to help you improve your list!

First off, Your suits lack multitrackers. Without them you can not fire both the plasma and missile pod.
Shield Drones are pretty rubbish and expensive with the exception being them attached to Broadsides. Drop them from your HQ. Your HQ need not the TA and twinlinked. Go Plasma, missile pod, multitracker, and Targeting Array only if you have spare points. Keep your costs low. The elite slot suits should be plas.miss, multi, with a possible team leader with TA on top of that wargear.
EMP is overly costly and not going to be used. You Firewarriors should never leave the fish or the wreckage of the fish. Drop the Devilfish from your firewarriors and have them hop in the Pathfinder one at the start of the turn. Pathfinders should drop grenades and instead maximize the squad for the most markerlights possible if you are going to have them. The Hammerhead should drop the SMS and just use the Burstcannons, it also needs a multitracker so you can move 12" and still fire the rail cannon.

There are some other things I would do with the Broadsides, like take 3 with the following for each member- A:Plasma, Multi B:Target Lock C:Plasma, Target Lock, Team Leader, Multitracker, Drone Controller w/ 2x Shield Drones. You have 3 different potential targets for your suits, each is equipped differently for maximum wound allocation, and when/if you get deepstrikers on near your suits (which should be in cover btw) you have 4 twinlinked plasma, and 3 twinlinked rail cannon shots to pump into whatever is threatening you.

I would also try and squeeze in another unit of Kroot like the one above. That way you have at least one for a bubble wrap for your firebase, pirahnas for blocking, and the fishw/fw, and the second kroot squad to try and hold objectives.

Hope that helps.

It does Fuzz.....I figured with suits, having the extra BS would be more imprtant than 2 weapons.....but good point....I'll add the adjustments to see what I can do.

ksoh75
04-11-2012, 11:11 AM
Updated list with some minor changes....

1850 Pts - Tau Empire Roster - Mech2.01850Tauv3

HQ:
1 Commander Shas'el
(Hard-wired Multi-tracker; Crisis Bodyguard; Missile Pod; Plasma Rifle; Targeting Array)
2 Crisis Bodyguard
(Hard-wired Multi-tracker; Missile Pod; Plasma Rifle; Targeting Array)

Troops:
6 Fire Warrior x3
Devilfish
(Disruption Pod)

Elite:
3 Crisis Battlesuit
(Missile Pod; Plasma Rifle; Multi-Tracker)

Elite:
5 Stealthsuits
(Support Systems; Targeting Array x5; Fusion Blaster x1)
1 Team Leader
(Hard-wired Blacksun Filter; Hard-wired Drone Controller; Hard-wired Multi-tracker; Markerlight; Marker Drone; Marker Drone; Targeting Array; Fusion Blaster)
2 Marker Drone (Networked Markerlight; Targeting Array)

Fast Attack:
2 Piranha Light Skimmer
(Disruption Pod x2; Targeting Array x2; Fusion Blaster x2; Seeker Missile x2)
4 Gun Drones

Heavy Support:
2 Broadside Battlesuit
(Multi-Tracker)

Heavy Support:
1 Sky Ray Missile Defence Gunship
(Smart Missile System; Blacksun Filter; Disruption Pod; Multi-Tracker; Targeting Array)

Total Roster Cost: 1849

let me know what you all think

blackarmchair
04-11-2012, 11:29 AM
IMHO stealth suits are just plain bad. +5pts over regular suits for -1T, -1W,-1S, and -2 Battlesuit systems doesn't make much sense to me (The stealth rule really doesn't do much for them since their weapons are mostly 18" anyway).

Similarly a Sky Ray seems a rather poor choice compared to a Hammerhead, since it effectively amounts to a more expensive Long Fangs pack that can be shaken.

I'd drop the Sky Ray and the Stealth Suits in favor of an elite crisis suit team (fireknives maybe?) and a hammerhead.

Just my two cents.

ksoh75
04-11-2012, 12:02 PM
IMHO stealth suits are just plain bad. +5pts over regular suits for -1T, -1W,-1S, and -2 Battlesuit systems doesn't make much sense to me (The stealth rule really doesn't do much for them since their weapons are mostly 18" anyway).

Similarly a Sky Ray seems a rather poor choice compared to a Hammerhead, since it effectively amounts to a more expensive Long Fangs pack that can be shaken.

I'd drop the Sky Ray and the Stealth Suits in favor of an elite crisis suit team (fireknives maybe?) and a hammerhead.

Just my two cents.

Those are in my origional list. Was posting this one up as a possability since I want some hardcore Marker Lights on the Board.

Pathfinders in dumb fish would replace the Stealth Team and I was running 2 Railheads and 1 3 man squad of Broadsides......It's an option........but yeah.....I just keep going back and forth. It will all come down to playtesting. I have some more studying on the Sky Ray to do before I make a final decision.

Oh those Stealth suits are there to outflank btw. I had stealths coming from my Battle Box and I dind't want them to go to waste. I tried to build on a foundation of what I had and or will have in the future.

ksoh75
04-11-2012, 12:05 PM
Black.....here's an example of that list I was referring too...

HQ: Commander Shas'el
Hard-wired Multi-tracker; Missile Pod; Plasma Rifle; Targeting Array

Troops: Fire Warrior x3
6 Fire Warrior
1 Devilfish (Disruption Pod)

Elite:
3 Crisis Battlesuit
(Twin Linked Flamer; Targeting Array)

Elite: x2
3 Crisis Battlesuit
(Missile Pod; Plasma Rifle; Multi-Tracker)

Heavy Support:
3 Broadside Battlesuit
(Multi-Tracker)

Heavy Support: x2
1 Hammerhead Gunship
(Railgun; Two Burst Cannons; Disruption Pod)

Fast Attack:
5 Pathfinder
1 Devilfish
(Disruption Pod)

Fast Attack:
2 Piranha Light Skimmer
(Targeting Array x2; Fusion Blaster x2)
4 Gun Drones

Total Roster Cost: 1847

Reivax26
04-19-2012, 10:47 PM
Ok the list looks ok. Recently I tried out Deathrain Suits for the first time (Twin Missile Pod and Targeting Array). I ran 3 of them together and they absolutely rock. I have seriously considered having 2 squads of them instead of one and running my Fireknife commander with the other Fireknives I have. They rock small transports or monstrous creatures from a distance. Its 6 str 7 shots hitting on 3's with a reroll. The worst I have ever had on hits was 5. Also they don't need Markerlight help to be effective which means the markerlights get to help everyone else.

My 2 cents

Panxer
04-20-2012, 08:55 AM
I know and realize the fireknife config is the 'standard fare', BUT please consider the power of the fusion blaster. It's cheaper, it kills tanks, it forces invul saves, and causes instant death to most everything on the table.

The only detriment, obviously, is the range being only 12", BUT you have one of the most mobile jump infantry units in the game! This is why Tau Jesus invented Markerlight support and deepstriking XV8 suits with support from Marker Beacons (to help with scatter)... So, this tactic is more risky (some would think), BUT it's one of the most fun and rewarding (if it works).

I suggest you load out your suits with fusion blaster, missile pods, and multi-trackers, keep one or two of them in reserve if you're facing mechanized opponent, then wait for him to come to you (they'll be overzealous and rush to get to grips with you because you're playing Tau and they think they're getting a free lunch by fighting you- like it's beneath them.). Deep strike behind him using marker beacons if you scatter out of range or mishap, THEN light up your target with markerlights (raising your suit team's BS) and blast away with the missile and the melta's and pop as much armor as you can, and finally in the assault phase, jump away as far as you can or as far into cover as you can get.

If it works, the look on your opponent's face will be priceless.

This will accomplish one of two things: 1. He will either turn around and devote his forces to annihilating what just ripped them a new one for a turn or two (keeping his forces away from your main body, allowing more time to maneuver into a better fighting position), or 2. Will disrupt their strategy, causing all their infantry riding in the transports to walk to you, and will probably divide their forces (making their main attack weaker) so you can survive longer.

Try it! See if it works!