PDA

View Full Version : [40k Review] Assault on Black Reach - Nick Kyme

wittdooley
09-21-2009, 09:54 AM
Another review. I hope no one minds me posting these in the background section; I think its appropriate, even though I am posting them in my blog as well.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For a lot of people, the Assault on Black Reach boxed set was a must buy. For those already invested in the hobby, the original retail price of $60 bucks was a steal for all the plasticy goodness inside. For people that may have previously balked at 40k, AoBR served as a wonderful jumping off point. Assault on Black Reach, coupled with the 5th Edition Space Marines Codex, also introduced 40kophiles to a number of new heroes of the Astartes. Like Space Hulk, GW also chose to release a novella to accompany the release. Unlike Space Hulk, however, the Assault on Black Reach novel, penned by Nick Kyme, is a resounding success.

Assault on Black Reach (AoBR) centers on, essentially, an Ork invasion of the planet Black Reach, and the subsequent quelling of the Orks by the Ultramarines 2nd Company. Though led by Cato Sicarius, Captain of 2nd company, the story does not focus on him; rather, it centers on Scipio Vorolanus, a brother-sergeant of the 2nd Company, and his view of both the ensuing battle and his captain.

One of the issues that plagued Gav Thorpe's Space Hulk was it's inability to establish any sense of characterization to the heroes we were following. Thorpe's characters were hollow, with little to no defining traits; I often found myself confusing one marine for another. In the same span of pages, however, Nick Kyme is able to build solid characters for the four focal marines: namely Scipio, Sicarius, Scout Sergeant Telion, and brother-sergeant Iulus Fennion. Scipio is self-reflective, initially enamoured with Sicarious' heoricism, and achieves some depth throughout the short novella. We see that Sicarius is perhaps a glory hound, less concerned with his men than his own personal triumphs. Iulus, much like Scipio is introspective and the good soldier, though more regimented and, near the end, more like Scipio begins. Finally, we see Telion as, quite frankly, a frightening figure in his brutal persecution of his tasks.. Kyme's depiction of Telion is by far one of my favorite characterizations of an Astartes, and would love to see additional material written about the exploits of Telion and the Ultramarines 10th.

The read is good as a whole, but is not without issue. While the first 4/5 of the book are very entertaining and detail the efficiency of the Ultramarines in great detail, the conclusion of the novella comes much to abruptly, with the final battle seeming rushed and without worthy climax. The setup for the battle, led by Telion, is wonderful in it's difference from the usual Space Marine fare. However, I can't help but feel Kyme was under a page restriction, met it, and, instead of editing, was forced to chop the end of his story off.

With that being said, I think Assault on Black Reach is an excellent jumping off point for those new to the 40k literature universe and the Black Library. The pacing of the story is sound, Kyme's writing is interesting and round, and at 127 pages, it's a quick read; however, Nick Kyme succeeds in those pages where Gav Thorpes Space Hulk came up short. Between AoBR and Salamander, Nick Kyme is staking his claim as a force to be reckoned with in the 40k universe.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Up Next: Either Rogue Star - Andy Hoare, Xenos - Dan Abnett, or Brothes of the Snake - Dan Abnett. Help me pick.

I actually did just finish Space Wolf - William King, so I suppose I could do a review of that, too.

ratpack
09-26-2009, 12:40 PM
I read the book and have nothing to add your comments.

I would really prefer a review of Rouge Star. It would be different in material, I hope (more space ship action?)

Aldramelech
09-26-2009, 02:10 PM
All good stuff mate. Keep em comming.

wittdooley
09-26-2009, 06:30 PM
Alright, Rogue Star is up next. I should have it read by Tues (sorry, I read Dan Brown's the Lost Symbol in between!)

imperialsavant
09-26-2009, 11:23 PM
Alright, Rogue Star is up next. I should have it read by Tues (sorry, I read Dan Brown's the Lost Symbol in between!)

:cool: So what was your opinion of Mr Brown's latest effort???

Also wondered if you managed to get a copy of the new Caiphus Cain Chapbook which went out of stock almost as soon as it was released. Hope I can order one as soon as they have stock again in the BL.

wittdooley
09-27-2009, 02:34 PM
:cool: So what was your opinion of Mr Brown's latest effort???

Also wondered if you managed to get a copy of the new Caiphus Cain Chapbook which went out of stock almost as soon as it was released. Hope I can order one as soon as they have stock again in the BL.

You know, I actually liked it until the last 50 or so pages. The "reveal," as it is in Dan Brown books, was underwhelming for me. I also predicted the two major 'twists' about 100 pages into the book which was okay (my Dad said he didn't guess them until right before--maybe that's my English degree coming into play). I think Brown's become a better writer since The DaVinci Code, but he still suffers from moments where his characters become tour guides as opposed to real people. I guess when all your protagonists are Ivy League grads you can get away with them knowing EVERYTHING.

All in all, however, it's a worthwhile read. If anything, it really makes me want to go and explore Washington DC as an adult; most people in the US don't ever go to DC except on 8th grade trips, where your appreciation for all the cool stuff there is...minimal at best.

I read it in about 4-5 hours too, so it also reads VERY quickly.