PDA

View Full Version : What Force Do BoLS-ers Play?

xarius
07-31-2009, 03:24 PM
Dead simple, say what force(s) you have and a bit about why you have that force.

I'll start. I currently use a gondor force beacuase they are varied and fairly simple for modeling and i won conflict scotland with a gondor list in april. I also have a small fully mounted Rohan force for fun games.

i have had to use the WoTR selections due to poll limitations.

JayCop
07-31-2009, 03:33 PM
My eternal love is with the Haradrim, I used to play all the time with them. Since I thought I needed a Good army list too, I decided to go with Dwarfs and I am doing pretty well.

But eventually, nothing can keep me from returning to the nastyness that is the tricks of Evil, so I am now playing Angmar.

Herald of Nurgle
07-31-2009, 03:39 PM
Isengard.
I LOVE my Isengard.

Sure they are packaged in the most awkwardly sized boxes (10 of each type in a box FTL) but I LOVE THEM

Sure they may break their weapons daily, but I LOVE THEM

Sure they never pray in the end, but I LOVE THEM

Azos
07-31-2009, 03:45 PM
Elves are my mainstay, although i do occasionally use other bits.

I seem recently to have found myself using the fellowship as a list recently, can be quite entertaining, so long as you dont mind sacraficing the odd hobbit.

Lord Sandwich
07-31-2009, 08:23 PM
Well, it was close. Christopher Lee being my favorite actor in the LotR movies (say what you will!), that almost tipped me towards Isengard. But, my evil bone bit me, so I've started Angmar. After all, who can resist a horde of spirits, barbarians, and Ringwraiths?

Jwolf
07-31-2009, 08:59 PM
I play Mordor because my son thought the Nazgul was the coolest model and we had to play that guy. He's 5, so his enthusiasm is still endearing.

Of course, at the last WFB tournament he stayed with our friend Sean whose Lizardmen are the coolest thing ever. So yeah, next up is a Lizardman army for me.

Maturin
07-31-2009, 10:17 PM
I chose Gondor - mostly because the figures are really, really easy to paint with an airbrush. And since WoTR is my "side" game after 40k, I wanted to work up a decent force quickly. But I was really surprised at how nicely the whole force looks on the table - 1000 points of shiny armor and pointy things!

Dragon Knight Of Rhun
07-31-2009, 10:24 PM
I play none other than the Fallen Realms, mostly Easterlings with a Mumak here and there for some heavy support.

LONG LIVE RHUN!

iamaddj
08-01-2009, 12:42 AM
Ive got Dwarfs, good and solid list, like them a lot (King's Champion is awesome!!!) Ive got about 3000 points of those. I've also got a Mordor Army going, hordes of Orcs. Fun to play with that, just trow waves of Orcs at the enemy, about 2000 points of that.

Thinking of finishing up either my Gondor or Isengard lists, or maybe some elves.... hhhhummmm.

Gotthammer
08-01-2009, 02:08 PM
Elves - Lothlorien specifically. The Silmarillion is one of my all time favourite books, and you can't love it without loving the Elves. I think it's also due to being able to be really haughty and contemptuous of your foe when you play that makes them fun, and the models are all great, and I may have a bit of a crush on Cate Blanchette ;)

I am drawn to something like Angmar or Moria goblins though, but elves first and foremost.

brimmstorm
08-03-2009, 01:12 PM
My main force is Elves with around 5k. I also have a sizable Dwarf army (3k), Rohan (2k+) and a bunch of Misty Mountains stuff(200+ Goblins, 5 Trolls plus others).

I love WotR and loved SBG before that so being able to play two awesome games with the same mini's is great!!

-brimmstorm

iamaddj
08-03-2009, 04:43 PM
Sweet, I would love to see how you are running your Dwarf list!

Dáin Ironfoot
08-12-2009, 05:38 PM
Just got into WotR and im building a Dwarven Holds list.

Dragon Knight Of Rhun
08-13-2009, 04:20 PM
Just got into WotR and im building a Dwarven Holds list.

Finally picked an army huh? Good choice! :D

Dáin Ironfoot
08-14-2009, 09:49 AM
Finally picked an army huh? Good choice! :D

Yea I have played like thirty test games with them so far (sans actual models) and the Dwarves are solid.

xarius
08-14-2009, 01:45 PM
dwarves are fantastic but you won t earn many friends, they are BRICK WALL SOLID and can advance towards an enemy with few casualties and then smack them in combat by sheer attrition

Dáin Ironfoot
08-14-2009, 06:25 PM
dwarves are fantastic but you won t earn many friends, they are brick wall solid and can advance towards an enemy with few casualties and then smack them in combat by sheer attrition

Baruk Khazad! Khazad Ai-Menu!

icecube
08-16-2009, 08:16 AM
Mordor. What else needs to be said?:D

Winter12
08-25-2009, 08:25 AM
I'm mostly playing with my Dwarves at the moment (2000) but I also have a Rohan force (1500).

I also have a Mordor force in the process of being built (less than 500) and a small Harad force (1000ish).

Too many armies, not enough time. Or money.

Alex Knight
08-25-2009, 08:35 AM
Goblins primarily. Despite having well over 100 Goblins, I still cannot yet scrape 1500 points together of them. Maybe with some reorganization. And why do I love them? They suck! That's why. Individually they are about useless, but I have so many of them, it hopefully makes up for the craptastical stats. Other than that, it's acuz of the scene from the movie, really.

Psyberwolfe
08-26-2009, 07:17 PM
I play elves. Mostly High elves.

Flonky
09-01-2009, 12:57 PM
Gondor - I like their Roman inspired armour.

Also used to play Goblins, nothing beats out numbering the foe like 2:1 or even more!

Rhomdruil
09-01-2009, 04:34 PM
I have been true to the Goblins of Moria for over 4 years, I have not counted the wins but I have only 1 loss...endless conversions that I have done and plan to do. I wont even mention my troll collection.

bigmackdadd
09-01-2009, 08:27 PM
I play gondor because "it is by the blood of our people are your lands kept safe"-Boromir

I love how my Gondor in specifically in war of the ring is practically undefeatable, and i am a little suprised at how they are not broken, my force just works

I run 3 blocks of grey company with a banner of the king w/ galadrim bows

faramir

5 blocks or knights that he runs with

2 blocks of Gondor Bowmen w/ captain

4 blocks of Gondor Warriors w/ captain

1 bolt thrower

1 trebuchet

1 ent

1250 pts

I was actually able to win the impossible game, I played the long 18 inch deployment zone, and the high point which we decided before we rolled for deployment and was in my opponents board edge, at the end of the game all he had left of his black numenorian army were two blocks of castellans, and i had seized the hill with my cavalry

I also like how Gondor is the most balanced army and does not have excessively powerful monsters such as Mumaks, balrogs, and moria carnations

Thats right 3 mumak-mer, i'm gonna beat you

I also have the ability to shoot my seige engines, but lucky i stay more than 6" away, or id blow myself up alot

xarius
09-10-2009, 02:40 PM
your army doesnt seem that great, kind of small actually. its either chance (luck doesnt exist) or you are profficient with the army orrrrrrrrrr you were playing a n00b

bigmackdadd
09-14-2009, 09:41 PM
your army doesnt seem that great, kind of small actually. its either chance (luck doesnt exist) or you are profficient with the army orrrrrrrrrr you were playing a n00b

hrm...i played a redshirt, won a tourney, and it works in the sense that it can do just about anything, if you know what your doing, it is really effective, but a balrog/ a few mumaks will cause problems, granted less problems than for most armies, but still, some problems

ChaosLord127
09-20-2009, 10:41 PM
Isengard.

Because it's victory is at hand, and there will be no dawn for men :)

That and Christopher Lee is King.

xarius
10-27-2009, 04:32 PM
Christopher Lee is King.

cant beat dracula as a wizard commanding an army of monsterous warrior beasts!

Dark Lord
10-27-2009, 07:45 PM
Thats right 3 mumak-mer, i'm gonna beat you

How are you able to defeat 3 mumakil? There pretty tough

icecube
10-28-2009, 11:24 AM
I´m pretty having 10 darkness casters casitng pall of night on them would make them suffer(alltrough then it will be just another jerkish' list:(). I killed a mumak in 4 turns with 2 siege bows and charging him in the end with a troll chieftain and a regular troll, but it was still hard and killing three would be doubly hard, so i don´t know.

Dark Lord
10-28-2009, 11:56 AM
I can understand that, but you only killed ONE. (no offence ment, killing a mumak is TOUGH) but bigmackdadd said he killed THREE! I don't understand how he did that

Bean
01-13-2010, 03:22 PM
A Balrog or Dragon could easily kill three Mumaks, on its own, without ever taking significant damage in return. Mumakil are simply not that scary as monsters go.

Bob la Frankie
01-25-2010, 06:59 PM
i collect a gondor army made up of fiefdoma and warriors of mian tirith, which i started 2 months ago.
I liked the way the fought against morodr in return of the king, and also Boromir is my favourite hero.
My army includes:
Boromir cpt of the white tower
24 warriors of mina tirith
6 knights of minas tirith
3 knights of dol armoth
King of the dead
20 warriors of the dead
I hve painted half of my warriors in the colours of dol armoth as i thnk they are cool.
I like the way they are simple to paint. I usually vs my friend and his brother he has Easterlings and Haradrium. After I have expanded my gondor army i will most likly go to and evil force(Isengaurd, maybe angmar)
If u hve any suggestions for my Gondor army i am all ears. I also am looking for some more good heroes(brawlers, and ones tht have special rules/auras).

Bean
01-25-2010, 09:05 PM
Boromir is shockingly hard-core. Gondor may not have monsters or uber death units of doom, but their heroes certainly make up for it. The King of the Dead is pretty cool, too, though mostly cause he's super-fast.

Cryl
01-26-2010, 01:54 AM
Faramir is probably the best 90 points you can spend in a Gondor army, all that might and special abilities for less than a command group is pretty amazing

Bean
01-26-2010, 08:30 AM
He's certainly a good leader, but he just isn't the ***-kicker that Boromir is. And Boromir can be a horn blower and banner bearer for 50 extra points.

Granted, Boromir is pretty pricy and Faramir is really budge, but Boromir really brings a lot to the table in terms of murdering things. Faramir doesn't, really.

Majorcrash
01-26-2010, 08:50 AM
Mordor has been alot of fun, and very competitive. 2 formations of 4 co of Morranon orcs, war catapult, 2 siege bows, 3co of blk guard. great for crushing dwarf shield walls. 2 co of warg riders, 3 co of easterling archers, 3 co of easterling cohorts, 2 co of orc archers and shelob, the bretrayer, the dark marshal, and kahmul. So far i have held my own against gondor and dwarves/ army of the dead.

Bob la Frankie
01-30-2010, 12:48 AM
wow, nice army

SaintSlayer
05-17-2010, 04:49 PM
I play Mordor since the Nazgul since I thought they were so great in the movies. And it also lets me play a horde army which I love, but take so much time to paint and custom base :(.

Mr. Bleak
01-02-2011, 02:25 PM
I just picked up an Isengard army last week after a friend showed me a game of SBG. I have 20 Uruk-hai (10 Sword/Shield 10 Pike) and an Isengard Troll. Soon I'm going to get some crossbow Uruk-Hai and another troll. I'll possibly get Saruman, but more likely I'll grab Ugluk and Vrasku (I can't remember the name exactly, the double shot crossbow guy). I'll eventually expand to War of the Ring size.

I already painted 2 Uruk-Hai, the rest are primed. I'll post up pics in the pics section of the forum.

Thorhak
05-01-2011, 10:45 AM
This past Tournament Season (LOTR SBG, North America) I played a Dwarf list featuring Dain, a Ballista, a Siege Capt. and filled the rest of the army out w/ Rangers, Iron Guard, Khazad Guard and Warriors w/ shields.

The first tourament I attended was the Gathering in the Desert in Phoenix AZ, where I placed 12th overall.

The next tournament, Adepticon in Chicago, IL. allowed Army Lists upto 350 pts. max so I left out the Ballista and Siege Engineer in addition to lowering my over all numbers. I finished 2nd overall, and therefore won a "Golden Ticket" to the LOTR SBG Grand Tournament in Las Vegas this June where the 2010-2011 Tournament Champion will be crowned.

I also attended Bilbo's Birthday Bash, also in Chicago, IL. This was a 600 pt. event so I re-installed the Ballista etc. and finished 4th overall.

2010 has been my best performance on the LOTR SBG North America GT Circuit, (I've been an active participant since 2007). But I'm hoping to improve on my efforts last year, and actually be the Overall Winner at one of these Events.

One of my other "favorite" armies is my Budweiser Select Knights of Dol Amroth picture below. I used this pure Dol Amroth/Gondor force in 2007 and part of 2008. Here's a pic:

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa49/thorhak/IMG_1161e.jpg

UglyKat
07-14-2011, 09:12 AM
I wish we had more LOTRSBG tournament action around. It's by far my favorite GW game. That having been said I have several LOTR armies, but my favorite is my Dwellers Below list. Spiders, Wargs, Trolls and Goblins make for a really wild game every time. :)

MajorMcNicol
03-05-2012, 03:13 PM
I am starting a Dunland-only force! Mostly for painting, but also to start playing. Thrydan Wolfsbane, two captains, two banners, some wild men, and mostly warriors of Dunland.

Sindamar
03-21-2012, 06:30 PM
Well, given the Elven name, it's probably no suprise that I tend to favour Elves, especially High Elves. Have also been known to run Rohan, Isengard, and Moria too, but that scene at the start of the first film was just too damn cool ;)

bayushikiyomori
03-22-2012, 11:17 PM
I'm fairly new to SBG... I will admit that I am a Warhammer Fantasy / 40k player, and swore I would never start up LOTR. Sure I liked the miniatures, but getting into another game (and what I had thought of as a dying game) was of no interest to me. Yet now here I stand with my fully painted forces of Isengard, filling my Friday Wargaming nights with battles that rage across Middle Earth, and I haven't looked back. I love the other games, and LOTR SBG is still a side dish for me, but I must admit that I am having a great time, and really enjoy the rules and the setting.

That said, the Uruk Hai have been a blast to play. I run an all Uruk Hai force (no weedy orc spys from Sauron thank you very much!)... Whom do I serve? SARUMAN!

MajorMcNicol
03-24-2012, 07:43 AM
"I'm fairly new to SBG... I will admit that I am a Warhammer Fantasy / 40k player, and swore I would never start up LOTR. Sure I liked the miniatures, but getting into another game (and what I had thought of as a dying game) was of no interest to me. Yet now here I stand..."

I know exactly what you mean! In the early days those old WD articles just couldn't convince me to get into it...I guess the LOTR books themselves started my interest in building an army, and then some of the GW models next.

eFail
05-30-2012, 07:45 AM
While starting out originally with elves (i knew i was never meant for the forces of evil), i quickly changed into the less than practical force of an army of Rohan (i say this because i am yet to see an army composed of only good cavalry excel against anything but goblins). While horses may be annoying to paint i find that after painting nearly 20+ they are an easy way to spend a few hours a night while sitting down to watch a movie.:)