PDA

View Full Version : My Salute 2012 Experience.

energongoodie
04-22-2012, 05:35 AM
This was my first time at a gaming/miniatures convention but it was pretty much as expected. Lots of stalls selling stuff and lots of gaming tables with a wide array of systems on display. I got there at 12:00 and the place was quite busy. Not jam packed like a sci-fi/comic convention, but there was a healthy amount of people there and the space it was in at Excel was massive.

I wandered round the edge just to get a feel of what was on offer and saw a lot of minis I had seen on the net and admired and it was nice to see them up close and in some cases, speak to the designers. It was hard not to spend a fortune and buy everything I saw.

Then I saw the Black Library stand and went over to buy a wodge of unreleased books.
Who should be sitting there buy Christian Dunn, Sarah Cawkwell and Graham McNeil!
Apparently the marketing team were so focused on Adepticon they forgot to mention these guys were rocking up to Salute. I would have loved to take a load of my books along to get signed but nevermind. As it was, I got ‘The Primarchs’ signed by Christian Dunn and Graham McNeil. Now these guys were nice guys and really happy to talk and answer questions about there work and some interesting upcoming projects. I got a couple of juicy tit bits that I will be posting in the news and rumours thread that made me very, very happy :D. I’m hoping they will be BOLS exclusives.

I went over to the Forge World stand and bought a wodge of stuff. I saved more on postage costs than it cost me to get into the event, so result. They had already sold out of the Imperial Enforcer :( I was gutted, but I got a skin wolf. It’s a really nice model. They had also already sold out of a bunch of other stuff I wanted to. It was like a plague of locusts had descended on the stand and ripped it to shreds. I went away disappointed but decided to return later to get a couple more bits. I spoke to a different fella this time and he informed me they did not have the things I wanted but it was o.k as I could order them and get them sent to me postage FREE! I asked if this included the Enforcer as well and he said yes :) I told him that his colleague next to him had not given me this option and that he was a muppet. He apologised but I nearly missed out on some exclusive model goodness.
I got a good look at a couple of the new Tartaros pattern terminator assault weapons and combi bolter and I really like them.

1982 1981 1983
1984 1985

Now, the gaming tables. It seems that the gaming tables were run by different gaming groups who volunteered to run a specific game. As such, it wasn’t great. I was very interested to try Warmachine and Infinity. I found both tables and and was looking forward to giving it a go. However, the groups were really only there to play with each other and get in to the event. I found little to no interest in spreading the love and at the Warmachine table, me looking on seemed like a bit of a hindrance to their fun. Shame.

One group that were very, very welcoming were the guys running Bolt Action for Warlord games. They had a great board to play on and the minis, while not being the cleanest or well sculpted models, looked great all together on it. The vehicles are very, very good though. I had seen this on the web before but wasn’t super interested in it. I AM NOW. I will be posting a quick something about this in the relevant section. The volunteers running this were really good guys and their enthusiasm for the game really came across.

The other guys I’d like to mention were the guys from Mantic who were showing off Project Pandora. I spent about 45 minutes playing both sides in the very basic training mission they had set up. It was probably a bit to basic to be honest. The models are nice and it uses an interesting game mechanic to activate your models. I will post up about this in the relevant section. The guys from Mantic were really nice and enthusiastic.

Models wise, I bought a lot of Forge World stuff. Too much really but never mind. I also bought the 32mm Anakin Skywalker from Knight models. I would have liked to have bought some of their 70mm marvel range but at £44, yes £44, I just felt they were too much. Sitting here now though, I am wishing I’d bought the Iron Man model.

I also bought the Soda Pop, Relic Knight Miniature ‘One Shot’. It was quite pricey but it is a really nicely sculpted model and I am really looking forward to putting it together and painting it. These miniatures are just very different to anything else I buy so I thought I’d give it a go.

I spent 5 hours at the fair and I really did enjoy myself. For someone like me who does not have any war gaming friends, it was nice to be around like minded people and throw some dice. I also have a pile of models to play with :D so overall, thanks Salute 2012. I will come back next year.