PDA

View Full Version : How would you play this fun, fluffy 2000 pt. Necron list?

fish0311
04-22-2012, 07:36 AM
Hey guys, been a Necron player for a few years and always enjoyed throwing together "out of the normal" type lists that are still pretty competitive and fun for both my opponent and I. Was kinda tooling around on Army Builder and thought this would be a pretty interesting blend of the old and new and wanted some thoughts, opinions, possible small tweaks and a general idea of how you think you would play it. So without further rambling....

HQ: 470 pts.

Destroyer Lord
-Mindshackle Scarabs
-Resurrection Orb
-Sempiternal Weave
-Warscythe

Imotekh the Stormlord
-Gauntlet of Fire
-Phase Shifter
-Sempiternal Weave
-Staff of the Destroyer

Royal Court
Harbinger of Destruction
-Eldritch Lance
-Solar Pulse

TROOPS: 467 pts.

10 Necron Immortals
-Gauss Blaster

9 Necron Warriors
-Ghost Ark

5 Necron Warriors

ELITES: 670 pts.

15 Flayed Ones

8 Triarch Praetorians
-Rod of Covenant

Triarch Stalker
-Partical Shredder

FAST ATTACK: 210 pts.

7 Canoptek Scarab Swarms

7 Canoptek Scarab Swarms

HEAVY SUPPORT: 180 pts.

Annihilation Barge
-Gauss Cannon

Annihilation Barge
-Gauss Cannon

-Imotekh attached to Immortal squad
-Destroyer Lord attached to Praetorians
-Cryptek attached to Warrior squad embarked on Ghost Ark
-5 man Warrior squad held in reserve

General Usage:

Which enemy squad the Bloodswarm Nanoscarabs ends up on will determine whether I hold the Flayed Ones in reserve or have them infiltrate in terrain near the middle of no man's land. They will look for targets of opportunity, soak up shots (large squad, hard to ignore), or tar pit an overly aggressive unit. If I'm lucky enough to roll an enemy troop unit for the Bloodswarms, they will deep strike when available and should retain the numbers needed to wipe the scoring unit. Ditto for heavy weapons left in the backfield unprotected.

Praetorians are another opportunity unit. They will stay behind LOS blocking terrain (if possible) near my main line and be relegated to counter-assault duties. With AP 2 assault weapons, they are also looking for that chance to maul up Terminators (or equivalents) and clear them out before they cause too much trouble. The Sempiternal Weave on the Destroyer Lord will help take some heat if I cannot get them out of LOS, and the Resurrection Orb will help keep them strong.

Scarabs will move up as a buffer for my guns, keeping to cover if possible for that 3+. Should deter aggressive players from closing that 24" gap where my shooting is most comfortable. They'll start the main push if I can manage to stun lock/immobilize a couple enemy vehicles (Land Raider, or equivalent, priority) with the Annihilation Barges, Triarch Stalker, Cryptek, and Gauss rule from Warriors and Immortals.

The Triarch Stalker will go hand in hand with the infantry in order to get the most use out of the Targeting Relay.

Annihilation Barges will protect the flanks and start pounding light transports and the infantry that eventually spill out.

So there you have it! Think this has a fighting chance? Think it's utter rubbish? Let me know!

thecactusman17
04-22-2012, 07:43 PM
Well, OK. This one's an interesting challenge.

First off, Imhotek is going to hitch himself a ride with the 5 warriors tucked safely away in their ghost ark, making this tiny unit survivable in a 2000 point game. Now we have it all--ten rapid firing gauss blasters to one side and 5 to the other if necessary, and we can choose which on the fly. Plus, of course, Mr. Storm Lord's super death ray if we need it. We march this thing up with our friendly neighborhood Immortal-court behind, getting that pleasant cover save against a whole lot of nasty things.

now, the Flayed Ones are a little disconcerting, though keeping at least one unit behind that moving cover wall isn't too bad an idea (especially since if the opponent is out of range, then Imhotek doesn't much care how fast he moves, and of the Barge is out of rapid fire then so are the warriors, so why not run?). The other scarabs can quickly move up a flank with the Flayed Ones offering them a cover save until the last moment.

If the Flayed Ones get assigned to something useful and squishy, then I would certainly prefer to deep strike them at a point where they can immediately spread out and form a physical wall of bodies to block enemy assaults. The second these guys hit the table, they are already dead, so I wouldn't even bother trying to keep them alive. In fact, I didn't even realize that they couldn't choose their target with the nano-scarabs. If they could have, I would have packed along Zandarhek instead of that walker and allowed them to possibly deep strike in during my opponent's turn, blocking shooting and assault lanes with impunity.

The Praetorians are a unit that is going to be hard pressed to function terribly well. However, I would probably keep them just a little ahead of the 9-Warrior squad which will sit back in cover, where their higher numbers allow them to survive while popping shots off at anything nearby. The Praetorians can then relocate rapidly to deal with nasty threats like Drop-podding space marines or terminators. Annihilation Barges in the immediate vicinity of the Praetorians will assist should any big mobs get past the Ghost Ark. The Walker will stand back with its Particle Shredder and desperately hope that nobody rolls for a killpoints game. Seriously, dude, it's equipped with an assault 2 multimelta, there's no excuse for giving yourself a large blast with no ability to crack armor.

The Destroyer Lord will...

i dunno, die quickly? Because he has nothing to link with for distributing wounds and he loses the Jump Infantry ability while he is attached to anything. The reality is I'm not sure why you chose this guy as opposed to a standard Overlord, which is cheaper and has more relevant specs for assisting your units.