PDA

View Full Version : 2k Farsight Enclave [Tourney]

Cadre
05-02-2012, 07:27 AM
After lurking for a while, I thought I would post this list and get some opinions. I have done well with my Tau in a number of tournaments recently, but wanted to try something a little less spammy than my usual configurations. Also, I love markerlights and want to give them a go again after essentially ignoring them for the past several months.

Farsight
-Bodyguard
--TL Missile Pods/Positional Relay/HW Drone controller/2x shield drones
-Bodyguard
--TL Flamer/Missile Pod/HW Multi-tracker

Shas'el
--Airbursting Fragmentation Projector/Flamer/Shield Generator/Iridium Armor/Stim Injectors/HW Multi-Tracker/HW Drone controller/2x Shield Drones

Crisis Suits x3
-TL Missile Pod/Flamer
-Team Leader w/ HW drone controller and two gun drones

Fire Warrior x6
-Shas'ui
-Devilfish
--SMS/Targetting Array/Disruption Pod/Multi-Tracker

Fire Warrior x6
-Shas'ui
-Devilfish

Fire Warrior x6
-Shas'ui

Pathfinder x8
-Rail Rifles x3
-Shas'ui
--Drone Controller/Gun Drones x2
-Devilfish

Hammerhead
-Ion Cannon/Burst Cannons
-Multi-Tracker/Disruption Pods/Blacksun Filter

Skyray
-SMS
-Multi-tracker/Disruption Pods/Blacksun Filter/Targetting Array

Broadsides x3
-Advanced Stabilization Systems
-TL Plasma
-Team leader
--HW Blacksun Filter/HW Target Lock/HW Multi-Tracker/HW Drone Controller/Shield Drones x2

------------------------
First, I am attempting to maintain a theme and fluff while remaining somewhat competitive.
I imagine Farsight's enclave to be rather aggressive, hence the preponderance of flamers, which I see as a Tau approximation for melee.

Second, the tournament will use ATC missions.
http://tnwargamers.com/ATC/missions.htm
These are extremely troops sensitive. I fear that Farsight Tau is going to struggle here.
Note that I intend to use the positional relay to keep my troops in reserve until turn 3. I will deploy their transports to fight, however.
I intend to deploy the Shas'el on turn two, a single unit on turn three (or the shas'el, if he managed to roll a one for reserves) and keep them out of play as long as possible. I intend to try to arrange for devilfish to be located along the board edge to pick them up as they enter.

The secondary commander is an odd choice. I see him as performing one of a number of roles: One is to deep strike (hopefully on turn two, with the aid of the relay) into the rear of the opponent and make an annoyance of himself, being difficult to kill for his value and potentially tying up scoring units or important shooters such as longfangs. He is also a competent anti-horde platform. Additionally, if the situation calls for it he can be attached to important units to ensure their survival. Pathfinders and fire warriors come to mind. Especially the latter, as I am light on troops.

I rely heavily on combat fitted devilfish. This has served me well in the past, but I am contemplating simply running more fire warriors instead.

The Skyray is another odd choice, and one that I have always used. However, it is perhaps a poor choice in a list that includes other sources of markerlights. (in my previous lists I have used it as an aggressive distraction and source of mobile markerlights)

The Ionhead. Also odd. I chose it to save on points, and because of a large number of expected monstrous creature lists. I have always been wary of Ionheads, though I like them quite a lot in theory.

The Broadsides are VERY expensive for such a unit. However, as Farsight limits us to a single unit, I decided to make the most of it. It is important that it be able to defend itself from deep strikers and other such threats, and I have had good luck with the plasma in the past both as a deterrent and an offensive tool once the enemy armor was eliminated.

I am most concerned by the very inclusion of pathfinders. I have never had particularly good luck with them. They are expensive and have an annoying tendency to die miserably. However, they allow a re-roll on the scatter for my deepstriking Shas'el. I thought I would give it a go. I including gun drones for added survivability. Again, since Farsight limits us to a single unit, I went with spending a little more to give it a better chance.

I am looking for what you see as the strengths and weaknesses of the list as a whole, primarily. I would also like advice on how to address specific weaknesses without damaging the theme of the army or its efficacy in more commonly encountered situations.

Thank you for your time.

Tynskel
05-02-2012, 07:34 AM
seriously, you should switch the Ionhead for a Railgun.
I would also ditch the Rail Rifles for more marker lights.

For the shas'el: give him target lock, and I'd get a gun drone squad to be a 'body guard' for the shas'el.

Also, look into the Forgeworld suits and the Tetra.

Cadre
05-02-2012, 07:40 AM
I like the idea of a gun drone "bodyguard" and considered it briefly.
I also prefer the Railgun. However, I am in a bit of a points crunch.
Any recommendations on where you would trim?

I like the rail rifles, but they probably aren't worth paying points for. (I find that I rarely need more than a couple of markerlight hits) I would trim them to save points, though. I just don't know where else to trim at this point. Farsight's "extra" bodyguard perhaps?

Edit: Dropping the flamer/MP bodyguard and the rail rifles allows for a squad of four gun drones and an upgrade to a railgun for the hammerhead. Thoughts?

DrLove42
05-02-2012, 08:02 AM
I'd trim donw the SMS on the devilfish for the Burst Cannons. A few points there

But I do like it (bar the Ion Cannon/Railgun ...do swap them)

I like Rail rifles. It might be rare but they pack a punch and pinning a unit can be very useful for Tau avoiding combat

Tynskel
05-02-2012, 08:26 AM
Personally, I like the Rail Drones if you are gunna use rail rifles.
But, making sure you negate cover, hit on high BS, ect is important for the Tau. If you are fighting castled IG, for example, you need to punch through the cover to blast the tanks that will turn your army into paste!

As much as I love the SMS launchers on the Devilfish, they are horrendously expensive, on a transport that is already expensive. Those points could be used for moar stuff.

Cadre
05-03-2012, 07:42 AM
I do very much like sniper drones. However, I feel they would be a liability in a competitive environment. Especially one where 1/3rd of the points for each round come from kill points. They are essentially free kill points in my experience.

I find that for a Tau list that needs to protect its troops, the SMS on the devilfish are a valuable source of anti-infantry firepower. I will experiment with removing them, however. Any other ideas on where points could be trimmed?

Cadre
05-03-2012, 07:46 AM
Actually, here's a variant I was considering. Let me know if you guys think it might be a better basis to work with than the other:

Farsight
-Bodyguard x2
--TL Flamer/Missile Pod/HW Multi-Tracker/2x Shield Drones (each)

Shas'el
--Airbursting Fragmentation Projector/Flamer/Shield Generator/Iridium Armor/Stim Injectors/HW Multi-Tracker/HW Drone controller/2x Shield Drones

Crisis Suits x3
-TL Missile Pod/Flamer
-Team Leader w/ HW drone controller and two gun drones/Positional Relay (replaces flamer on the team leader)

Fire Warrior x9
-Shas'ui
-Devilfish

Fire Warrior x9
-Shas'ui
-Devilfish

Fire Warrior x9
-Shas'ui

Pathfinder x8
-Shas'ui
-Devilfish

Hammerhead
-Railgun/Burst Cannons
-Multi-Tracker/Disruption Pods/Blacksun Filter

Skyray
-SMS
-Multi-tracker/Disruption Pods/Blacksun Filter/Targetting Array

Broadsides x3
-Advanced Stabilization Systems
-TL Plasma
-Team leader
--HW Blacksun Filter/HW Target Lock/HW Multi-Tracker/HW Drone Controller/Shield Drones x2

Tauownz
05-03-2012, 08:29 AM
My take is your shas'el is too cute, I'd keep him meat and potatoes. 2 weapons,TA,HWDC-2shld drones. Nothing more.Shield generator is way overcosted, iridium armor limits his mobility and you want him at range. He will be your opponents big target.
Also, maybe drop the FW's from 9 to 6. And think about reserving 1 or 2 teams and have them walk on late for objective grabbers. That way your saving major points on a DF.
Invest in some kroot and bubble warp your broadsides. Your opponent is going to want to tie them up so they can't shoot. Once there down your going to struggle to win. Throw a TL on your Hammerhead to make use of those burst cannons, 6 shots at a different target can widdle down a squad.
Not a big fan of the skyray, go more broadsides or maybe a plasma cannon hammerhead. Reasoning is the pathfinders will go down early and your skyray will be useless. Can't fire seekers w/o markerlights.
Finally, I'd drop the PR off your broadsides. You have to shoot them at the same unit your firing at with the railguns,which is most cases will be more than 24" away pick up the sms and save points. Throw a Target lock on each so all 3 can shoot at different targets.
Best of luck!!

Tynskel
05-03-2012, 08:34 AM
skyrays have markers...

DrLove42
05-03-2012, 08:39 AM
Also hes taking a Farsight list...he can only take 1 unit of Broadsides and 1 Hammerhead, and can't take any kroot.

Cadre
05-03-2012, 10:54 AM
Also hes taking a Farsight list...he can only take 1 unit of Broadsides and 1 Hammerhead, and can't take any kroot.

Both true. I can't take a plasmahead either. No imperial armor. I would kill for tetras...a static unit is a dead unit in the current Tau codex and competitive environment.

Tynskel
05-03-2012, 12:29 PM
nah, the imperial armor are not standard to the codex, so I don't see why you couldn't take them. The Plasma head is just a variant of the Hammerhead. The crisis suits are more variations, and should be allowable, considering the army is themed around crisis suits.

Just no more kroot.

Cadre
05-03-2012, 01:09 PM
nah, the imperial armor are not standard to the codex, so I don't see why you couldn't take them. The Plasma head is just a variant of the Hammerhead. The crisis suits are more variations, and should be allowable, considering the army is themed around crisis suits.

Just no more kroot.

It's a tournament rule. Unfortunately it's just not an option. Ultimately it's up to the Tournament Organizer whether IA is allowed or not.

Tauownz
05-03-2012, 01:19 PM
Skyrays do have markerlights but their markerlights can't fire the seekers from the skyray correct, or is that an old rule. I apologize I do not run skyrays and have never ran a Farsight list. Never read the page. Shame you can't take IA in your tourney. As far as GW or LGS games you should be good with IA. Best of luck in your tourney.

Cadre
05-03-2012, 01:29 PM
Skyrays do have markerlights but their markerlights can't fire the seekers from the skyray correct, or is that an old rule. I apologize I do not run skyrays and have never ran a Farsight list. Never read the page. Shame you can't take IA in your tourney. As far as GW or LGS games you should be good with IA. Best of luck in your tourney.

Skyrays CAN shoot their own (networked markerlights), but it takes them a few turns to empty out on them, and I often end up using their lights on other stuff.

It is a shame about IA, and thanks for the luck.

Tynskel
05-03-2012, 02:00 PM
I'd say your TO is dumb.
Tau are severely hampered by the power of the new codexes. IA evens the playing field for them.

Your TO better let the Tau at least use the Jet Pack rules in the main rulebook...

Cadre
05-03-2012, 06:57 PM
I'd say your TO is dumb.
Tau are severely hampered by the power of the new codexes. IA evens the playing field for them.

Your TO better let the Tau at least use the Jet Pack rules in the main rulebook...

I've actually only ever been to one tournament that allowed IA. The most recent ones I went to were on the Throne of Skulls circuit and didn't. Including one at GW USA headquarters in Memphis. Just not very common in the areas I've played, I suppose.

Urza8188
05-04-2012, 10:47 AM
Personally I wouldn't used a farsight list in a competitive setting because there are just too many restrictions it places on an already restricted army. but all that aside lets take a closer look.

The skyray is pretty weak for any slot TBH you essentially roll twice to hit on the S8 missiles that will typically land on front armor, the markerlights are good mobility and bs4 but that and sms/burst cannons can be gotten all over the place in the codex. I would just throw some seekers on your devilfish if you wanted those or add piranhas because they can easily reach side or rear armor with their mobility.

You mentioned that you liked the markers on the skyray but there are a lot of other much more efficent ways to get those markers on the board.For 10 points each you can add a ML to your FW squads. You're already investing in a lot of devilfish, why not cut the skyray, take the devilfish off the FW and get 2 more 6 man PF squads? I mean the only reason i don't use PF is because i despise devilfish and avoid them like the plague but if you are already investing in them why not get the most markerlights for your buck?

The Shas el sounds like a good idea on paper but even with the reroll on deepstrike its still really risky. If he lands proper he'll likely tear into 1 unit and then die or get tied up for the rest of the game and for that amount of points you can get 1 unit of regular crisis suits with a leader 3 TLflamers and an AFP for the extra weapon slots you can grab target locks to blast multiple units if you land right.

Persoally i would add another suit to the farsight squad and spend a couple extra points to make all the suits different for wound allocation (3 gun drones would add 5 wounds and 3 shots). I suppose that's not always a good idea as it could end up just more wasted points, its more of a preference thing.