PDA

View Full Version : 1850 SW.. Serious Tourney List

FenrisianStuart
05-02-2012, 09:46 PM
Hi, I'm new to 40k but a long time fantasy player. I'm running a SW list and I have had above average success with it thus far but only against GK and IG. I was just looking for friendly C&C.
Let it be noted: This is a List I plan to use in upcoming tournaments at the opening of my Games Shop June 1.

HQ:
Wolf Lord 230
Storm Shield, Wolf Claw, TW Mount, 2x Fen Wolves, WOlf Tooth Necklace, WOlf Tail Talisman.

HQ:
Rune Priest 165
COS, Master of Runes, Wolf Tail Talisman.
Living Lightning, and Murderous Hurricane for Powers.

Troop:
5x Grey Hunters 180
1x Melta
1x Power Fist
Razorback w/ Las and TL Plas

Troop:
5x Grey Hunters 180
1x Melta
1x Power Fist
Razorback w/ Las TL PLas

Troop:
5x Grey Hunters 180
1x Melta
1x Power Fist
Razorback w/ Las TL PLas

Fast:
4x Thunderwolf Cav 345
4x Storm Shield
1x Wolf Claw
1x Mark of Wulfen

Fast:
4x Thunderwolf Cav 340
4x Storm Shield
1x Wolf Claw

Heavy:
Long Fangs 115
4x Missile Launchers
1x Squad Leader

Heavy:
Long Fangs 115
4x Missile Launchers
1x Squad Leader

I generally put the Lord in the unit of Cav without the Mark. Run the Razors up to objectives and let out the GH. Cav smash up anything they come to and let the LF and Las/PLas do all of the Tank Busting. The one big problem I've had is that if My Razors get opened up, my GH are left out to dry. 4x SS in the TW Cav units can eat anything that shoot at them :D.

My thoughts.
I've thought about dropping the Cav to 2x3 and using the points off that to add another LF unit or perhaps a Scout unit??? and adding Extra Armour to The Razors so that I can drop those can't Move/Shoots to just Shoot allowing my GH to get across the table more effectively.

I want to hear all of your thoughts as they will all be considered. Thanks in advance.

L192837465
05-03-2012, 07:23 AM
Being good against GK is being good against 1/2 the armies out there.

Chexmix282
05-03-2012, 01:15 PM
Grey Hunters with Power Fists are not a wise choice. 25 point is too expensive for a model that only gets 1 attack with it. I would strongly suggest using Wolf Guard with Combi-Meltas and Power Fists instead. Not only does this give you the Power Fist with w2 attacks, but it gives you another melta in the unit and increased leadership.

I would also like to see a third unit of Long Fangs. They really are too good to pass up, and missile are very good against IG and GK.

Master of Runes is a waste of points. It really is. He can't use 2 psychic shooting attacks in the same turn.

Storm Shields on each Thunderwolf is a very large waste of points, imo. You only need 1 or two per squad if they are all different models for wound allocation purposes, as you can allocate the Power Weapon/Fist wounds to the Storm Shield.

Now for this transition we will need a bit of points, and the best place to get them would be from your Wolf Lord. For 230 points he doesn't add anything to the army outside of CC potential.

3 units of 3 Thunderwolves would be better, to maximize the amount of Wolf Claw attacks to make up for the loss of the Wolf Lord.

This is how I would do your list:

HQ
Rune Priest 110
-Living Lightning, Murderous Hurricane, Chooser of the Slain

Elites
5 Wolf Guard 215
-5 w/ Combi-Melta and Power Fist

Troops
4 x 5 Grey Hunters 620 (Wolf Guard split into these units)
-Meltagun; Razorback w/ Lascannon & TL Plasmagun

5 Grey Hunters 110 (Rune Priest goes here and shoots out of the hatch)
-Flamer; Rhino

Fast Attack
3 x 3 Thunderwolves 600
-1 has Wolf Claw and Storm Shield, 1 has Bolter

Heavy Support
3 x 5 Long Fangs 345
-4 Missile Launchers

This gives you much more firepower, more CC units, more bodies, and more vehicle hulls, all by simply removing inefficiencies and the Wolf Lord.

One Thunderwolf from each unit has a Bolter simply for wound allocation. This is well worth the loss of an attack.

I wanted the Rhino unit to have a melta as well, but to do so you would need to drop the Chooser of the Slain. Depends if you prefer more melta or BS5 lightning, really.

Hope this helps :)

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't realize this was an 1850 and not 2k. When I have time later I will re-work it to fit the points.

FenrisianStuart
05-03-2012, 07:19 PM
In the games I've played my 2x4TW have been VERY successful with the storm shields. Being able to allocate large turns of shooting to them and not having to differentiate between reg and invuln saves makesq life easier. Also I have revamped a list to include a third unit of LF because like you said you really can't pass that up. The rune priest Is most likely going to be taken out of the list because other than the psychic null he isn't worth the points.

Wolf guard look really good but I dont really want to build the models if I'm not going to stick with them. And what about putting them in Terminator armor out of a drop pod?

Keep the advice flowing!!!