PDA

View Full Version : Guardsman Marbo

Akkon Sek
09-22-2009, 10:20 AM
Allow me to preface this question by saying that I am _not_ an IG player (primarily renegade marine), so I do not know the ins-and-outs of particular Imperial Guard units. However, my primary/regular opponent has recently branched out into a new IG army and is in the process of testing the waters.

After-game this weekend we were discussing possible strategies for him, and I mentioned the BoLS folks seems to think very highly of Guardsman Marbo. We studied the stats and, to be honest, couldn’t figure out exactly why Marbo is such a favorite. Unless the object is high-priority target elimination… in which case he seems to make sense (essentially an errorless Deep Strike + instagib with Handcannon of Doom). But it seems, to our uninitiated eyes, that after that considerable alpha strike, it’s inevitable he’s worm food. Is this the preferred method for using this model? A throw-away assassin?

I’m curious to know why so many people are so fond of the model, and the tactics you employ in his usage. I’m certain I could be missing something painfully obvious regarding his awesomeness.

Thanks in advance.

-A

Aldramelech
09-22-2009, 10:56 AM
Who?

Lord Azaghul
09-22-2009, 10:56 AM
Cheap, Disposable and Deadly! All very admirable traits for a guard army.

He's got fantastic stats, wonderful weaponry, ridiculasly accurate and he's cheaper then buying a democharge and a special weapons team!

ninja skills
09-22-2009, 11:28 AM
you got it on the nose that he is a 'disposible assasin' but if done rightly he doesn't always get murdered in return due to other more pressing targets etc (once he has demo'd he isn't quite as nasty)

all in all he is a bargin

DarkLink
09-22-2009, 11:53 AM
He shows up, kills something, then dies. With the Demo charge and control you have with him, he's almost certain to make his points back, and often take out a critical enemy unit in the process.

Akkon Sek
09-22-2009, 12:26 PM
Makes perfect sense. Thanks!

I have already pointed him to this thread, so I expect to feel the pain on the tabletop in the very near future.

-A

Magos Bellum
09-22-2009, 01:02 PM
He doesn't always die after throwing the demo charge. If you place him in cover next to his target, he has a 3+ (usually) save and can go to ground to get a 2+, making him very annoying to kill without cover save ignoring weapons, and he can do some damage if he gets charged by basic units, so either something has to shoot at him every turn to keep Marbo down, or dedicated cc units (or huge ones) have to charge him. Either way, dealing with Marbo in cover is an irritating prospect for most enemies and will distract attention from the main battle, and that's after wreaking a unit with the demo charge. Not bad for the cost.

Glocknal
09-22-2009, 01:40 PM
Used Marbo in a game last week. Killed 4 destroyers with the Demo charge, managed to live and not surrender the KP. Then again game before that Marbo dropped said charge at his own feet, blowing beloved Guardsman into very small pieces.

Walls
09-22-2009, 03:21 PM
Alternately if you can get him first turn you don't need to insta shoot and die. Put him out of sight, then have him move into position for a demo charge or pistol shot, then charge in. He's a beast in combat too. Really, you get him in the second turn and by the third he is in a vehicle, moving up the board to where you want him if you really wanted.

I usually get him alte so dump him to kill heavy weapons teams, devastators, command squads, etc. Or to distract fire while I get something else into position.

Also, he's awesome.

RocketRollRebel
09-23-2009, 02:08 AM
I'm a fan for sure. I gotta build one for my vostroyan army so I cant stop having this random catichan who shows up! haha Not essential and he does tend to die after he messes up a squad but when your opponent doesn't kill him... it gets messy haha

Tacoo
09-23-2009, 06:51 AM
I'm a fan for sure. I gotta build one for my vostroyan army so I cant stop having this random catichan who shows up! haha Not essential and he does tend to die after he messes up a squad but when your opponent doesn't kill him... it gets messy haha

What, dont like a catchican savin your vostroyan's buts everygame.

when i play m IG, i use him as a way to destroy a devestator squad or just blow up a bunch of troops that might be bunched together, and this guy is priceless against nids since he can drop down and toss that demo at synapses or steelers. and he gets even more rediculous in Apocalypse if you give him a vortex gernade. had him come in and toss that vortex and the enemie pylon just dissapeared, then it proceded to bounce around the deceiver.

SandWyrm
09-23-2009, 10:14 PM

Heh, I use the crazy-looking AmerIndian model from the old Last Chancers box set. He doesn't match anyone's army. :)

As for using him... Pop him up in cover and lob the demo charge. You then try and suck up as much fire as you can with his 2+ GtG cover save. Sometimes, if you're lucky, you'll get to charge him into combat. He's just dangerous enough that your enemy has to deal with him, providing a nice distraction.

Lord Anubis
09-23-2009, 10:37 PM
For my penal legion I made up a crazed guy with one of those WFB penitient "caged" heads.

I call him Riddick. :D

Commissar Lewis
09-24-2009, 12:52 AM
Nice Anubis.

Myself, I'm planning on building a Marbo model, except I want to give him a compound bow. Mostly that was inspired by both Rambo 4 (incidentally Rambo inspired Marbo) and the song Fred Bear by Ted Nugent.

Granted the bow will just be aesthetic.

RocketRollRebel
09-27-2009, 02:16 AM
Nice Anubis.

Myself, I'm planning on building a Marbo model, except I want to give him a compound bow. Mostly that was inspired by both Rambo 4 (incidentally Rambo inspired Marbo) and the song Fred Bear by Ted Nugent.

Granted the bow will just be aesthetic.

right down the the name... RAMBO, MARBO lol just swap an M and an R haha