PDA

View Full Version : Urban War

JustMark
05-08-2012, 01:59 AM
Hi, I just wanted to ask a couple of questions about Urban War.

Firstly I wondered how many of you have tried it?

Have you tried it since it's revised rules came out?

Regardless of if you've tried it what are the things that spring to mind when you think of the game?

And then I would like to isssue a challenge, try the new rules with proxy models and tell me what you think then, the starter rules can be found here http://www.urbanwarthegame.com/support-downloads-english.php along with the cards and starter set info.

All opinions are welcome and it won't be everyones cup of tea so let me know!

KingDaveTheBest
05-08-2012, 04:56 AM
I've played a lot of it, with both the version 1 and 2 rules. Personally, I enjoy it. I have the Gladiators faction (starter set plus one pit beast, one greater pit beast, two exo suits and Brennus). It is a fun system, and I'd reccomend it to anyone.

chromedog
05-08-2012, 10:16 PM
Tried it back before the recent changes (about 5 years ago?).
Nobody still plays it anywhere near me - and it's not worth a 6 hour return trip for a game.

The militia figures I have get used as "civilians" in other games, though.

JustMark
05-09-2012, 01:25 AM
That's a shame, I think that might be a consistent answer actually. :(

lobster-overlord
05-09-2012, 11:31 AM
Viridians have become just counts-as IG for me. I've not played the game since it was VOID 1.1, but i loved the system even then. The back-and-forth interplay was much preferred at my shop at the time over the GW you-go, I-go mentality.

KingDaveTheBest
05-10-2012, 02:20 AM
They are trying quite hard to push the new ruleset and they're actually releasing new stuff at the moment. It went quiet for a while, but it has gone into overdrive recently.

I'm enthusiastic about it, and my brother has been running loads of demo games at Salute in the UK and at various FLGS outside London. The new ruleset has sped things up somewhat. I like it.

JustMark
05-10-2012, 10:03 AM
Ah, yeah, John's cool, doing a really good job too. I too am a member of the Legion and thought I'd ask on here about general opinions to try and gauge where I need to pitch any demo games that I may run to :eek: strangers!

KingDaveTheBest
05-15-2012, 03:27 AM
I think his next demo game is on the 26th May at Battleworlds in Hitchin, just outside London. I think he's also going to do a few demo games at his local games club, but they sound quite GW-centric there (which is fine, but introducing new stuff can't hurt anything but peoples wallets!).

The best way to get anyone playing any new system is to get them to play it. I'm still waiting for a chance to play Infinity atm, having bought two Haqqislam starter sets last year. Finding time to fit everything in whilst at the same time playing Malifaux, 40K, WFB (I have 400 skaven left to paint. yikes.) and Bushido is my current challenge.

JustMark
05-15-2012, 04:20 AM
Yeah, time is never on the side of the men with toys! I have to finish my Triads, Gladiators & Junkers, I have a Grey Knight army with transports that's started and a Viking force for Saga, all need painting, and testing fully in battle!

Deffo agree about getting people to try it, it's good for people on lower budgets as well to try before they buy!

I think there's alot of people who're just happy with 40K for their Sci-Fi needs, and daren't step out of the box, which is a shame because there's some wicked games about! Not anything wrong with 40K per-se, just quite expensive (and a bit games-man-y maybe?)!

chromedog
05-16-2012, 01:57 AM
Unfortunately for the UW team, the local players got tired of waiting for support and jumped ship to Infinity, Malifaux and WM/H (if not dumping SF entirely and going FoW).

Some of my VOID stuff gets used in my IG army (my rough riders are on viperwing bikes)

JustMark
05-16-2012, 02:29 AM
Yeah, that's understandable, good use of the viperwings, I had catachans on space-marine bikes but they looked odd to say the least! I guess I've dropped lucky on the club i attend that people have picked it up and ran with it! Judging from the lack of response to this thread I'd say the biggest feeling towards it is apathy?

It really is a massive shame, as the game is great, and now that the support is picking up again i think it could (with a bit of an injection of interested parties) be big! Hopefully if enough people join the legion program and start running demo's then it'd spark some major interest!

sneakyben
05-16-2012, 03:28 AM
Are the models metal or resin or plastic?

and how do they scale with IG cadians and/or catachans?

JustMark
05-16-2012, 09:56 AM
The models are metal, and nice quality. You could use them in place of guardsmen etc without noticing, Catachans don't scale that well in my opinion due to their 'baby-Ogryn' arms. Cadians would not look out of place size-wise.