PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Frame Zero: Rapid Attack - I Have the Rules!

ElectricPaladin
05-08-2012, 12:02 PM
I know a lot of you are probably backers, and many others of you probably downloaded the rules preview from Penny Arcade. But, there are probably those among you who don't yet know how awesome this game is going to be.

To those of you I say: this is the thread for you to ask. I have the rules, I have been following the updates, and I am happy to answer any questions you might have.

For the record, I am not associated with Mobile Frame Zero, except that I am a backer and I think this game is going to be awesome.

ANakedBear
05-08-2012, 07:26 PM
Seriously,

I have read this section 3 times and read a 6 page discussion on how it works and it just baffles me. As i understand it, well i don't. I understand initiative but passing and this turn order interruption seems like too many rules to accomplish a simple thing.

Do you understand it?

ElectricPaladin
05-09-2012, 09:53 AM
I don't know - it seems pretty straightforward to me.

So, players take turns activating a single frame at a time, in descending Initiative order. If someone attacks a frame, it defends itself, and then proceeds to take the rest of its action (move, attack), which can lead to a frame taking its action earlier in the game than it normally would. Continue taking single-frame turns in Initiative order until everyone has no frames left, then turn down the Doomsday Clock, recalculate Initiative, and start again.

The thing to remember is this - in most cases, if someone attacks your frame, all your frame is going to do is maybe maneuver (to bring its preferred weapon to bear) and retaliate against the frame that attacked it. However, it's also true that a frame might very well simple disengage and attack someone else, which could potentially lead to a situation where many frames act out of turn.

What I'm saying is, it works like this:

PLAYER A: My gutbuster shoots at your high-leg.

**Players resolve attack**

PLAYER B: Well, my high leg moves six inches back and fires artillery at your gutbuster.

** Players resolve attack**

PLAYER C: Ok, my turn...

Even though the high-leg's turn wouldn't normally have come until after player D activated one of his frames, it got to act early because it was attacked.

It can sometimes work like this:

PLAYER A: My gutbuster shoots at your high-leg.

**Players resolve attack**

PLAYER B: Well, my high-leg moves six inches back and fires artillery at Player C's quad mech.

PLAYER C: You jerk!

PLAYER C: Well, my quaddie charges into hand-to-hand range and stabs your high-leg in the face!

PLAYER D: My turn yet?

If Player C had chosen to have the quad mech attack a different mech, then the chain of out-of-Initiative activations would have continued.

ANakedBear
05-09-2012, 01:45 PM
But won't this just lead to a loop of two mechs shooting back and forth at each other till one is dead.

Example

Player a shoots player b

Player b's mech shoots the same mech

Player a's mech can now act again since it was just attacked...

And then, we need to redo who had the initiative so player c who no one is attacking could just never get attacked and thus, end up spectating for half the game in one turn.

Why is this so complicated? What non-college level math student could possible quickly redo the equation before they get board with math.

I know you are not the creator, but I am still hoping that you know some of the answers to these questions.

ElectricPaladin
05-09-2012, 01:53 PM
But won't this just lead to a loop of two mechs shooting back and forth at each other till one is dead.

Ah. I understand your misunderstanding.

So, once a frame has been activated it cannot be activated again until the new round. Until then, however, it keeps the defense die its controller picked when it was activated. All further attacks are leveled against that defense die. Further attempts to shoot it are resolved against that same die - the frame doesn't get to reactivate or re-roll its dice.

The best way to think about it is this: all frames roll their various dice and assign them to different functions when the frame is activated. Rolling dice = being activated. Therefore, if a frame hasn't been active yet, you need to activate it in order to get its defense score when it's being shot at outside of Initiative. After that, you may as well let it take the rest of its action - it would be a book-keeping PITA otherwise. Any frame that's shot at outside of Initiative already has a defense die. It doesn't need to reactivate.

Did that help?

ANakedBear
05-10-2012, 01:43 PM
I believe that i understand the rules. I had to try practice games first. The rules are not very intuitive in my opinion, despite my like that they are trying something different then the norm for war-gaming.

Danno
05-23-2012, 12:32 PM
Now that's the explanation I've been looking for! I've only been reading through the rules so far and have not been able to get some practice games in. This will really help me explain things better once I can lure someone into playing.

I also backed MFZ, how could I resist a game using Lego's?