PDA

View Full Version : Necrons are on the march!

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
05-10-2012, 01:25 AM
Hello Internet!

Okay, so it seems that I'm only commenting on Necron-related threads, I admit that I've gotten quite strongly into them since the new Codex. (even if it was conceived by Mat Ward)
Without further ado, here is my 1500 point Necron army that I have had a mountain of successes with, please feel free to rate and comment.

Overlord, Phaeron upgrade, Warscythe
3x Harbingers of Destruction, 1 Solar Pulse

Overlord, Staff of Light, Resurrection Orb

8x Necron Immortals, Gauss Blasters - insert Phaeron and 2 Crypteks here

5x Necron Immortals, Tesla Carbines - insert 2 Crypteks here

13x Necron Warriors, Gauss Flayers - insert Overlord here

Triarch Stalker, Heat Ray

5x Scarab Bases

Annihilation Barge, Twin-Linked Tesla Destructor, Tesla Cannon

Emerald Rose Widow
05-10-2012, 02:19 AM
I did not know you could take a phaeron, where is it I am curious the stats and such

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
05-10-2012, 02:26 AM
I did not know you could take a phaeron, where is it I am curious the stats and such

Sorry that's probably a misnomer on my part, the Phaeron is a 20 point upgrade for a Necron Overlord, and it grants him (and the unit he's with) Relentless.
I just put Phaeron as it's easier to type than "Overlord, Phaeron upgrade".

Emerald Rose Widow
05-10-2012, 02:26 AM
Sorry that's probably a misnomer on my part, the Phaeron is a 20 point upgrade for a Necron Overlord, and it grants him (and the unit he's with) Relentless.
I just put Phaeron as it's easier to type than "Overlord, Phaeron upgrade".

Makes sense, thank you for clarifying

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
05-10-2012, 02:40 AM
It makes Gauss Immortals laugh with glee as they carve through tanks with ease.

Chumbalaya
05-10-2012, 08:45 AM
What purpose do the Warriors and Overlord serve? They don't have Relentless, they don't have an Ark, they don't even have Crypteks. 10 Immortals with 2 Crypteks and an Overlord are plenty durable too, so you don't really need a big unit of Warriors.

Ditch them to pick up another MSU Immortal unit, grab a Command Barge for your 2nd Overlord (warscythe and no bells needed) and you should be better off.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
05-10-2012, 09:05 AM
They march forward looking big and scary, they are a huge bullet soaker for the other units.

Currently the army stands at 7 wins, 2 draws, and 1 loss (the loss was against Space Wolves)

Vashtek
05-10-2012, 09:58 AM
Hello Internet!

Okay, so it seems that I'm only commenting on Necron-related threads, I admit that I've gotten quite strongly into them since the new Codex. (even if it was conceived by Mat Ward)
Without further ado, here is my 1500 point Necron army that I have had a mountain of successes with, please feel free to rate and comment.

8x Necron Immortals, Gauss Blasters - insert Phaeron and 2 Crypteks here

5x Scarab Bases

I also don't see the point in the warriors + overlord. It seems to me as if he's been shoehorned in to get you the second royal court. I'd definitely sub the warriors for immortals and experiment with a barge. They're really good - killing stuff in the movement phase is really strong. Other things to try : Spyders to go with the scarabs (don't take less than three), a veiltek for an immortal squad. I run two squads of 10 tesla immortals, one with a veiltek and its proved invaluable in many games. The flamey thing is a nice bonus .

Chumbalaya
05-10-2012, 02:18 PM
They march forward looking big and scary, they are a huge bullet soaker for the other units.

Currently the army stands at 7 wins, 2 draws, and 1 loss (the loss was against Space Wolves)

What exactly is scary about 13 glorified bolters without relentless, 3+ saves or an Orb?

Nobody should be wasting any effort shooting that unit, even basic Tactical Marines can run it off the board by simply charging.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
05-11-2012, 01:24 AM
What exactly is scary about 13 glorified bolters without relentless, 3+ saves or an Orb?

Nobody should be wasting any effort shooting that unit, even basic Tactical Marines can run it off the board by simply charging

To quote myself -

They quite clearly do have a Res Orb, but I can see your point.
But if Marines charge that unit they'd have to stay there for a while.

I also don't see the point in the warriors + overlord. It seems to me as if he's been shoehorned in to get you the second royal court. I'd definitely sub the warriors for immortals and experiment with a barge. They're really good - killing stuff in the movement phase is really strong. Other things to try : Spyders to go with the scarabs (don't take less than three), a veiltek for an immortal squad. I run two squads of 10 tesla immortals, one with a veiltek and its proved invaluable in many games. The flamey thing is a nice bonus .

He wasn't exactly "shoehorned in", I wrote the 2 Lords and 2 Courts first.

I could swap the Warriors for more Immortals I suppose. Though that Flamer template has never won any games (Spess Mehreens everywhere), Veilteks are cool yeah, especially when they either go 20" forward then 10" back in the direction they came from or land and scatter 12" off of the board - I've had a few bad experiences with Veilteks.

We don't all have to take Spyders in our armies though - to quote a friend "I thought Necron armies were supposed to have individual personalities now??"

You've also suggested that I remove 169 points to take like 450 points worth of stuff?

Vashtek
05-11-2012, 06:18 AM
To quote myself -

He wasn't exactly "shoehorned in", I wrote the 2 Lords and 2 Courts first.

I could swap the Warriors for more Immortals I suppose. Though that Flamer template has never won any games (Spess Mehreens everywhere), Veilteks are cool yeah, especially when they either go 20" forward then 10" back in the direction they came from or land and scatter 12" off of the board - I've had a few bad experiences with Veilteks.

We don't all have to take Spyders in our armies though - to quote a friend "I thought Necron armies were supposed to have individual personalities now??"

You've also suggested that I remove 169 points to take like 450 points worth of stuff?

My suggestion was to substitute the warriors and the phaeron for immortals and lord with scythe and a command barge. The other 'things to try' were really for bigger games or in substitution for existing units (e.g. the second stalker) to see how you like them. Constant experimentation leads you to a better final list for use at a tournament or whatever.

I've used a veiltek in all my games with necrons so far (12, including 5 at a tournament). I've been lucky in that I haven't mishapped once with them, but I'm very careful to only use it if I need to. In some games I didn't need to use it at all. As I'm veiling tesla immortals, I usually only need to end up within 24" of my target unit, so I don't need to try and be within 12"as if I were veiling warriors , for example. Dumb luck happens though, and I'm sure I'm due for a fall!

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
05-11-2012, 06:27 AM
My suggestion was to substitute the warriors and the phaeron for immortals and lord with scythe and a command barge. The other 'things to try' were really for bigger games or in substitution for existing units (e.g. the second stalker) to see how you like them. Constant experimentation leads you to a better final list for use at a tournament or whatever.

I've used a veiltek in all my games with necrons so far (12, including 5 at a tournament). I've been lucky in that I haven't mishapped once with them, but I'm very careful to only use it if I need to. In some games I didn't need to use it at all. As I'm veiling tesla immortals, I usually only need to end up within 24" of my target unit, so I don't need to try and be within 12"as if I were veiling warriors , for example. Dumb luck happens though, and I'm sure I'm due for a fall!

Wooops!
Right okay, that's fine! I missunderstood.
I will definitely swap the Warriors for Immortals, I just wanted a bit of unit variation is all.

My 1000 point list has Veilteks and Tesla Immortals, I can't fault Tesla, best weapon rule in the game. It owns Marines so hard in the face.

Chumbalaya
05-11-2012, 01:49 PM
Missed the orb, my bad. Still, not a big damage output or anything that merits focusing any firepower on.

Still, ditching them to put your Overlord on a Command Barge (more AV13, awesome AT, incredibly efficient) will leave 119 to throw into another Immortal unit, Annihilation Barge or maybe some Wraiths. Something that makes your army that much more threatening at longer ranges.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
05-14-2012, 12:59 AM
Pour on more Immortals!! :D

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
05-18-2012, 07:03 AM

Overlord, Warscythe, Catacomb Command Barge

10x Necron Immortals, Gauss Blasters - insert Phaeron and 2 Crypteks here

10x Necron Immortals, Tesla Carbines - insert 2 Crypteks here

5x Scarab Bases

Is this what we're thinking?

alshrive
05-18-2012, 07:14 AM
that looks quite nice actually, plenty of punch although as i have said i personally feel maybe slightly OTT on destructoteks.

ALShrive

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
05-18-2012, 07:49 AM
Cheers dude! For 1750 I'm thinking this:

1x Harbinger of Destruction, 1 Solar Pulse
1x Harbinger of Storms
1x Harbinger of Despair, Veil of Darkness

Overlord, Warscythe, Catacomb Command Barge
1x Harbinger of Destruction, 1 Solar Pulse
1x Harbinger of Storms
1x Harbinger of Despair, Veil of Darkness

10x Necron Immortals, Gauss Blasters - insert Phaeron, Stormtek and Veiltek here

10x Necron Immortals, Tesla Carbines - insert Stormtek and Veiltek here

5x Necron Immortals, Tesla Carbines - insert 2 Destroteks with Pulses here

8x Scarab Bases

3x Tomb Spyders, Gloom Prism, Particle Caster