PDA

View Full Version : 1850 Tau (NEVER RUN THIS LIST)

Panxer
05-10-2012, 08:36 PM
NEVER RUN THIS LIST. CATASTROPHIC FAILURE. 80% of friendly forces eliminated by turn 2. I will give a cap as to what every unit did during the battle. I was fighting Necrons.

HQ(332pts)
Ion Storm - Commander (157pts) Attached to XV8 unit. Lost a shield drone, failed morale and ran off of the board turn 2
Cyclic Ion Blaster (15pts), Hard-Wired Multi-Tracker (5pts), Iridium Armour (20pts), Missile Pod (12pts), Positional Relay (15pts), Shas'el (50pts), Stimulant Injector (10pts)
Hard-Wired Drone Controller (30pts), 2x Shield Drone (30pts)

Commander Shadowsun (175pts) Attached to XV8 unit. Instant death from heavy destroyer fire. All invul saves failed.

Elites (324pts) Attached to Ion Storm Commander. Lost shield drone. Failed morale. Ran Screaming off of the board.
XV8 'Crisis' Battlesuit Team (108pts)
Shas'ui (54pts)
Fusion Blaster (12pts), Missile Pod (12pts), Multi-Tracker (5pts)
Shas'ui (54pts)

XV8 'Crisis' Battlesuit Team (108pts) Attached to Shadowsun. Instant death from heavy destroyer fire.
Shas'ui (54pts)
Shas'ui (54pts)

XV8 'Crisis' Battlesuit Team (108pts) Killed by ghost ark fire with supporting fire by warrior embarked in the transport.
Shas'ui (54pts)
Shas'ui (54pts)

Troops (512pts) Survived. Glanced an annihilation barge, but living metal rolls were successful.
Drone Sentry Turret Team (55pts)
Drone Sentry Turret (55pts), Shield Generator (20pts), TL Missile Pods (10pts)

Drone Sentry Turret Team (55pts) Survived. Glanced an annihilation barge, but living metal rolls were successful.
Drone Sentry Turret (55pts), Shield Generator (20pts), TL Missile Pods (10pts)

Fire Warrior Team (93pts) Survived. Hid in building while targeted vehicles were on the other side of the board. Combat ineffective.
6x Pulse Carbine, 6x Shas'la (78pts), 6x EMP Grenades (18pts), Shas'ui (15pts), Bonding Knife (5pts)

Fire Warrior Team (93pts) Survived. Hid in building while targeted vehicles were on the other side of the board. Combat ineffective.
6x Pulse Carbine, 6x Shas'la (78pts), 6x EMP Grenades (18pts), Shas'ui (15pts), Bonding Knife (5pts)

Kroot Carnivore Squad (108pts) Outflanked. All potentially assaultable units either out of assault range or embarked in vehicles. Combat ineffective.
12x Kroot (84pts), 4x Kroot Hound (24pts)

Kroot Carnivore Squad (108pts) Outflanked. All potentially assaultable units either out of assault range or embarked in vehicles. Combat ineffective.
12x Kroot (84pts), 4x Kroot Hound (24pts)

Fast Attack (115pts) Survived. Effective markerlight support.
Tetra Scout Speeder Team (60pts)
Tetra (60pts) Blacksun Filter (5pts), Disruption Pod, Targetting Array (5pts)

Tetra Scout Speeder Team (55pts) Survived. Effective markerlight support.
Tetra (55pts) Disruption Pod, Targetting Array (5pts)

Heavy Support (565pts) Fired one seeker missile. No effect. Fired one slug shot. Missed. Fired one submunition, but drifted 8" off of target. Rendered immobile and main weapon destroyed from heavy destroyer fire. All disruption pod saves failed. Combat Ineffective.
Hammerhead Gunship (185pts) Blacksun Filter (5pts), Disruption Pod (5pts), Multi-Tracker (10pts), Railgun (50pts), Seeker Missile (10pts), Target Lock (5pts), Two Burst Cannons (10pts)

Hammerhead Gunship (180pts) Fired one seeker missile. No effect. Wrecked one ghost ark. Tank was blown up from heavy destroyer fire. Combat ineffective.
Disruption Pod (5pts), Multi-Tracker (10pts), Railgun (50pts), Seeker Missile (10pts), Target Lock (5pts), Two Burst Cannons (10pts)

XV88 Broadside Battlesuit Team (200pts) Exploded one annihilation barge. Instant death from heavy destroyer fire. All invul saves failed.
Shas'Ui (100pts) Shield Generator (20pts), Twin-Linked Plasma Rifle (10pts)
Shas'Ui (100pts) Shield Generator (20pts), Twin-Linked Plasma Rifle (10pts)

ksoh75
05-11-2012, 04:41 AM
Trust me......I'd never run a list like that....LOL

However only thing I got out of this I'm taking away is the success of Tetra's....I've been debating over these or Pathfinders....

Panxer
05-11-2012, 01:34 PM
It was a 'what if' list. Should've been an 'as if...' list.

Seriously though? Tetras are AMAZING! 50 sumfin points and you get mobile markerlight support platform equal to that of an entire static pathfinder team (even includes the marker beacon).

Comes standard with a disruption pod, scout, and put a target array on there and you've got 4 marker shots per boat that hit on 3+.

Completely worth it.

Tynskel
05-11-2012, 01:43 PM
sounds like you just had a bad day...
it is possible that you didn't play the list right, either. I wouldn't auto blame the list... remember who designs the list and who plays it...

Panxer
05-13-2012, 08:31 AM
The dice KILLED me that day. Everything missed or sent my guys screaming off of the board. But I will say that this list is typical of Tau performance.

Shadowsun can be instantly killed by a S6 weapon = weak. (I don't care if she's got shield drones. If there are enough S6 wounds, you'll have to allocate some of them to her, she fails one and POW instant dead commander)

An entire HQ unit loses A DRONE, fails morale and jumps up to 36" off of the board = weak.

Should've taken an ethereal.

But NOTHING! NO NOTHING can cure a bad day at black rock with regard to dice. Twas what happened. But I still will never field shadowsun again.

Tynskel
05-13-2012, 08:41 AM
uh, I don't know how you can flee 36" considering the roll is 3d6 for jump/jet infantry...
Shadowsun is an awesome character. most units cannot pump out more than 4 shots at str6, let alone hit with all 6. Not to mention, she's a stealth suit, you have to be able to see her...

yes, people have to deal with one wound and run characters. Not just the tau.

Panxer
05-13-2012, 12:46 PM
You're right. 18".

She's still weak though. She loses her stealth ability if you attach her to another squad for padding *unless you group her with stealth suits, which no one in their right mind would field next to the xv8's, and there are LOTS of armies who can pump out multiple S6 shots... Necron tesla can, Grey Knigts, Eldar, Imperial Guard, Etc.

Point being, she's soft... and I'd rather have an ethereal at 95pts, attached to some broadsides or an emp grenade laden carbine squad, than a 175pt stealth suit, who loses their stealth (excuse me, night fight) ability when attached to a squad, at T3, who can be instant deathed by a heavy weapons squad bearing auto cannons or a tesla destructors who get's x2 hits per 6 rolled at S7. Helper drones or no, she's still weaker than farsight for what she does. Give me a xv8 Shas'el commander with iridium armor and a stim injector, and I'll do double the damage and last twice as long as shadowsun ever would.

Tynskel
05-13-2012, 03:20 PM
wow, lots of people field stealth suits, because they are hard to hit...

I have seen many people field Shadowsun quite well. She's a tricky suit, which makes sense.
Her job is to bust up armor-and she does that extremely well. Most people I have seen run her don't get her killed. It sounds like you just need more practice with her.

She's also meant to be a distraction, which she's really good at. Yes, many armies have s6, but those armies still don't have crap tons of str6 in one volley... If they do, they should be shooting at your suits. Basically, you should have shadowsun be a distraction, while your main army is cracking nuts.

Iridium armor is cool, except you lose your maneuverability, and that's crucial for Tau suits...

Panxer
05-14-2012, 08:55 AM
That's a pretty expensive distraction which I can get for half the points in an XV8 team with TL meltas, if we're talking deepstrike, kill tank, die, scenario.

No, I don't field stealth suits. For their points, you can get XV8's with missiles and meltas AND drones for what you would pay for a full squad of 6 with 2 meltas and 4 burst cannons. You can't see stealth suits? Not in my experience. most armies have kit that allows them either acute senses or are able to double their night fight range, or just negate it entirely. Not to mention these 'stealth' suits don't even have stealth. A 30pt, 1W model with a 3 up armor save and jetpacks, who's only hope for not getting killed is night fight ability or hiding behind cover? Make them troops and I might consider it.

Otherwise, their dust will just continue to accumulate on my shelves.

BS FADE
05-15-2012, 01:20 PM
I hate to break this to you but......

Current Tau FAQ

Q. Can Commander Shadowsun join another unit as long
as she has her drones with her? Can she have a
Bodyguard? (p46)
A. No and no. She is unique in the fact that she forms a
separate unit with her three drones – she is the same as
an upgrade character for them – and only if her three
drones are destroyed does she become an independent
character.

Panxer
05-15-2012, 03:28 PM
Fair enough. I knew she was an IC and she couldn't have a bodyguard. I guess I goofed about attaching her to a unit of xv8 suits. I'll read my FAK more closely next time. I never field her. Oops. I was tabled by turn 3, so oh, effing well...

Still...weak sauce as a unit. IC or otherwise. This is obviously complex and dated. There are plenty of units out there who do better than her, and they don't cost 175pts for a HQ choice who can't even join a squad until her drones are dead. ...Lame.

2 XV8 Commanders or a commander and ethereal (if I've got broadsides). Probably best option for HQ choices in the Tau'Va