PDA

View Full Version : Ard Boys Champion IG List-2500pts

Bigred
09-22-2009, 12:56 PM
Hi guys,

This is the list Darkwynn used to win this year's Ard Boyz tournament. (original article by jwolf)

"The Leafblower" List - 2500 pts

2 Company Command Squads – 3 Plasma, Medic, and Powerfist in each, mounted in Chimeras. An Astropath and a Master of the Fleet.

What this does: These take an essentially mandatory unit and makes it a mankiller; great for killing Monstrous Creatures and Terminators. The Astropath is useful for getting the correct flank if Ouflanking a Valkyrie is in order. The Master of the Fleet encourages players to deploy their units, which is exactly what you want, and reduces the ability of Outflankers to hit the vulnerable rear of your force. Since these units will hold near your lines, they provide a good ability to react to enemy forces in your lines with deadly firepower.

Elite Daemonhunter Inquisitor - Terminator Armor, Psycannon, Force Weapon, and retinue (Mystics, Hierophant, Sage).

What this does: This makes Deepstriking suicide, when coupled with the pair of Medusae. This also guarantees that on the off chance there is a Fatecrusher build coming at you (not likely, but possible) you get to kill Fateweaver right off the bat. The Force Weapon is of the “Who cares about Eternal Warrior?” variety, but is certainly a theoretically poor choice.

Psyker Battle Squad – in a Chimera

What this does: Makes Nobs cry. A lot. Also provides another Large Blast as needed.

Infantry Platoon – 3 Squads in Chimeras with Heavy Weapons, Command with 4 Flamers in a Chimera

What these do: These are your screening and incidentally scoring units. The Chimeras provide the Wall of Steel that makes breaking into the real killers harder. And every Chimera has the Heavy Flamers that will make you pay for charging the Wall.

2 Special Weapons Squads – Flamers and Demo Charge, Meltaguns and Flamer.

What these do: These are Valkyrie riders and additional counterfire units. They are also more small scoring units that are hardly worth shooting at for most forces.

Veteran Squads – Meltaguns and Shotguns in a Chimera. Meltaguns, Shotguns, and Demolitions.

What these do: Ride in Valkyries and destroy vehicles. More counterfire and scoring power.

2 Valkyries – Multiple Rocket Pods.

What these do: These generate wounds while moving 12” a turn, and transport scoring units across the board. Vendettas are fine if you need them for killing tanks, but useless against masses of enemies; Valkyries can deliver tank killers and are great against infantry on the ground.

2 Medusas – Enclosed Crew Compartments. 10/2 Ordnance Blasts are obvious.

2 Hydras – 72” range twin-linked no Moving Fast saves Autocannons are obvious.

Manticore – d3 10/4 Ordnance Barrage Blasts.

What this does: This is an Alpha Striking dream, especially in the cramped deployments that can occur in a 2500 point game. When you need enemies out of their vehicles, dropping a lot of S 10 pie plates around is a good place to start.

The Deployment and Play

This army has some basic principles dictated by the design. Deploy close together to encourage the opponent to do the same. Deploy a wall of Chimeras and use them to delay and break up any advances. Prioritize targets to reduce mobility. Nothing about this army is particularly tricky to do, but every opponent army requires some modifications to the plan.

Duke
09-22-2009, 01:00 PM
The tough thing about this list is that you have to build a specific list to beat it... And if you did that you probably wouldn't make it far against the other lists in 'Ard Boyz. Congratz to Darkwynn

Duke

mkerr
09-22-2009, 01:46 PM
I know that he dropped the Force Weapon for a Psychic Hood in the last round.

The army is a beast. I went against him in the 2nd mission of the first round. It Dawn of War (good for my 4 Land Raider list because of Acute Senses), I had great shooting (destroyed his Manticore with my first shot and kept his Hyrdras stunned), unbelieveable close combat (wiping any squad I touched), I made shocking armor saves (5 storm shields in a row on one IC alone), my Space Wolves "psychic hood" kept his PBS shut down the whole game, and he couldn't pop my Land Raiders.

And he still totally wiped me off the board by turn 5. To. The. Model.

It was bruuuutal. Lol!

-- mkerr

40kGamer
09-22-2009, 02:26 PM
3 cheers for Darkwynn and the Guard! I'm anxious to see the battle reports to see why everyone decided to deploy against this army. I prefer to play fast armies and would have reserved everything against this build. :p