PDA

View Full Version : Witch hunters 750 (yes, 750)

thecactusman17
09-22-2009, 02:16 PM
Canoness, Combi-flamer, Meltabombs, Litanies of Faith
5x Celestian Retinue, Veteran w/ combi flamer, 2x flamers, Immolator transport with Holy Prometheum, smoke, armor, and dozer blades -- 250 total

2x Battle Sisters Troops: 10, veteran with Krak Grenades, melta, Heavy Flamer, Rhino with armor and smoke -- 206 ea.

Heavy support Immolator, smoke, armor,dozer blades and Holy Prometheum, 88

total 750

5 faith points, 1 litanies of faith.

the immolators are equipped so as to be a severe threat, especially when that HQ pops for the first time and puts 4x rending flamer templates across your guys. the sisters are a durable, reliable, mobile unit that can and will earn their points back while taking on all comers.

Or at least, that's my hope.

BTW, sans the HS immolator, I'm looking to run this force as an addition to a Space Wolves army, playing up the vikings with the idea that the Sisters are "shieldmaidens." If I remember correctly, there was an instance of a force of SoB getting chowed down on by the Wolves anyway, so they probably have plenty of Sister armor lying around...

mkerr
09-22-2009, 04:59 PM
@thecactusman: Building an effective Sisters list at 750 is next to impossible, so I'm hoping this is a labor of love. The secret to making a list at low points is to keep EVERYTHING as cheap as possible.

Here are my comments:

1. Yes, a Canoness is a good idea but lose the Litanies of Faith. It's way too pricey for what you get.

2. You need meltaguns in your Celestian squad. Lose the Veteran Sister Superior and just go with the two meltaguns. Also lose the dozer blades and holy prometheum.

3. You need a Book of St Lucius on the Canoness and on at least one SoB VSS. Don't bother giving the VSS any upgrades -- just Bolter and Book.

4. An empty Immolator is a sad Immolator. I'd really like to see an Exorcist in this army. Maybe with the point savings I listed above, you can find the 50pts to take an Exorcist instead of the Immolator.

Best of luck and let us know what you settle on!

-- mkerr

thecactusman17
09-23-2009, 12:24 AM
@thecactusman: Building an effective Sisters list at 750 is next to impossible, so I'm hoping this is a labor of love. The secret to making a list at low points is to keep EVERYTHING as cheap as possible.

Here are my comments:

1. Yes, a Canoness is a good idea but lose the Litanies of Faith. It's way too pricey for what you get.

2. You need meltaguns in your Celestian squad. Lose the Veteran Sister Superior and just go with the two meltaguns. Also lose the dozer blades and holy prometheum.

3. You need a Book of St Lucius on the Canoness and on at least one SoB VSS. Don't bother giving the VSS any upgrades -- just Bolter and Book.

4. An empty Immolator is a sad Immolator. I'd really like to see an Exorcist in this army. Maybe with the point savings I listed above, you can find the 50pts to take an Exorcist instead of the Immolator.

Best of luck and let us know what you settle on!

-- mkerr

Thank you mkerr for the input. While I didn't agree with all of your suggestions, I did take a few opportunities to experiment with the list based on your input.

First off, I would greatly disagree with the idea of an Exorcist. while in groups they can be a terrifying force to be reckoned with, the sad reality is that on their own they are not very effective. With a 50-50 chance of geting three (or less) S8 AP1 shots off at a target unit, almost always in cover, they are too unreliable to take solo. There is also the reality that I do not have an Exorcist model, and for this upcoming match I would prefer to use WYSIWYG models.

However, I did take your suggestion of point efficiency to heart, something thatsome other sisters players have been urging me toward as well. After a bit of tweaking, here is the list I came up with and tested this evening at my FLGS.

Canoness with Bolter
5x Celestians with flamer, meltagun
Immolator Transport with armor, smoke

5x Celestians w/ flamer, melta
Immolator transport with armor

10x SoB w/ HFlamer, Meltagun, Veteran
Rhino transport w/ smoke

10x SoB w/ Flamer, Meltagun, Veteran
Rhino w/ smoke

This is going to be played at a doubles tournament this weekend, where I will be randomly paired with other armies.

-edit- some changes after a bit of sitting down with a calculator revealed some bad math on my part. the rhinos will now act as mobile cover not only for the squads inside them, but for the immolators as well. With the immolators being a significant part of my mobile threat to hordes, keeping them alive is actually more important than keeping the units in them alive.

thecactusman17
09-28-2009, 12:43 AM
Mkerr, I'm following up after your prior interest in the army.

Today was a 3-round doubles tournament, with the teams being determined randomly in each round.

Here is the list I played, after considering your suggestions and working out a number of math problems that plague the lists above.

Palatine, Bolt Pistol, close combat weapon, 5x Celestian retinue, 2x meltas, Immolator with armor 191

5x Celestians, 2 meltas, Immolator with armor 155

2x 10x Sisters of Battle: Veteran, Flamer, Heavy flamer, Rhino with smoke and armor 200 points x2

747 points total

In all three rounds, a scoring mechanic kept me facing the same opponent despite the organizers' best efforts. This is the enemy Daemonhunter player, who plated an efficient list combining an Inquisitor with gun servitor retinue and a pair of sages. he augmented this with Stormtrooper squads and choices from Codex Space Marines, an Ironclad Dread and a MM landspeeder using the Ard Boyz rules. i will mention him here and from then only his teammate.

Round 1: tie. Teamed with shootyt Nids , versus Inquisitorial Daemonhunters (with SM allies) (mechanized) and footslogging Orks. Capture enemy base.

This was one hell of a wild ride. Going second meant that while we were essentially a two-pronged spear into his base, he was spread out across the board with several squads of orks and a fire base on the opposite end entirely.

Game came down to one last morale test with a slightly better than 50-50 chance, but no luck. The nids were highly effective at shooting Orks off the board while I tried to quell the mechanized 'hunter force. it worked ok, but my contributions weren't as slow as they could have or should have been IMO. An immobilized Immolator prevented me from getting my Sisters main force into action where it could have done serious damage to the enemy orks.

Round 2: Loss . Annihilation, Daen Of War. Allies: Guard Armored, enemies sisters of Battle

This one just didn't work the way we wanted to, thanks primarily to the faith points working out in our opponent's favor and a couple of unlucky dice rolls. Basically, without being able to Guidance against most of his army (which popped faith like candy) I just couldn't use any of my best anti-PA tricks. Eventually, we stalled him out in CC but it was too late with a crushing loss.

Round 3: Win. Capture and Control (5 control points), Table Quarters. Allies, Dark Eldar, enemies space Marines

This was a strong team. Two Landspeeders, mechanized wall, and about 35 marines footslogging across in a giant wall of death.

But I had a secret weapon: A DE player who knows how to use his army.

the massacre was harsh and started from the get go. With three (count 'em!) terrorfexes pinning the massed clumps of space marines, and with both sides starting near the center to capture the points, it was short work to pin two squads down while an Immolator and a faithed squad of sisters dropped the third to a single model.

Meanwhile, the other immolator dashed around to the mechanized front of the army, intent on clearing a path through to the Inquisitor Lord in the far corner for my DE allies. It was almost immediately blown apart by a Hunter Killer from the ironclad. But not before moving a full 12 inches, getting my HQ into serious threat range. On turn two she began the work of putting meltas onto the enemy chimeras, which eventually paid off in a fireball that killed almost all the occupants of the first and left the second belly up with crew climbing out the top hatch. As this happened, the DE player continued to pin while using his Raiders to reinforce control points. Even with a Raider laying on the ground after an unlucky glance, he managed to keep it occupied and doing damage to our primary threat, the three Marines groups. The enemy librarian finally risked it all on a gamble that would have placed him barely in capture range of an objective, but the scatter carried him off into my models. His entire squad was lost to the warp in probably the best luck I had all day.

With only a handful of turns left and a second squad of sisters near the control points, I desperately held off an assault while my vehicles made approaching my units nearly impossible. Stringing ten of the sisters across a 13 inch gap, i managed to capture and then repel invaders from the control points, winning us the game.

Dead last? Dunno as about a third of the players left after round two. But all in all, I think I left a little too much up to luck here.

And now, I have to get back up in a little under 5 hours. Goodnight! Bleh.