PDA

View Full Version : 1500 points Empire and Dwarf Doubles army

JuiceSpringsteen!
09-22-2009, 07:56 PM
Hey guys, I'm getting back into fantasy and there is a doubles tournament coming up at our local GW, so my buddy Mahoney and I are entering. The format is quite interesting, 1500 points per team, 750 pts per player, but you have to share the organization chart (i.e. no more than 1 rare choice per team, or no more than 3 Heroes per team). So with those limitations I present this:

HEROES

Runesmith (general)-137pts
Shield
Rune of stone
Rune of Balance
Rune of speedx2

Warrior Priest- 130pts
Sword of Battle
Armour of Meteoric Iron

Battle Wizard- 150
Lvl 2
ROD OF POWER (that looks cool in caps)
Ring of Volans

CORE

Archers x 10- 105pts
Huntsmen
Marksman

Thunderersx10- 140pts

Dwarf Warriorsx20-205pts
Shields
Full Command

Spearmenx20-140 pts
Shields
Full Command
Detachment- Free companyx10 - 50pts
Detachment- Handgunnersx10 - 80pts

SPECIAL
Dwarf Cannon-115
Engie
Rune of Reloading

Dwarf Bolt Throwers x 2- 155pts
Engiex2
#1 Master Rune of Seeking
#2 no runes

Empire Great Cannon-100 pts

T-1497 pts

This army dominates the Magic Phase with a total of 8 dispel dice (and one less enemy power dice, thanks to the Rune of Balance), and I can save three from phase to phase as needed (ROD OF POWER strikes again!). Also with that many war machines, we should whittle down any Big Nasty that anyone might take (Giant, Steam Tank, Bloodthirster, and such) and what ever does make it through has to deal with two tough frontline units. The Archers are VERY versitile, they can act as a screen, draw away those units that have to charge, and , in a pinch, tie up a war machine crew.

So lay it all on me, does it suck? is it the second coming in model form? This is the first real competitive list I have ever made for fantasy, so I am welcome to any tips, criticisms or suggestions.

Thanks Y'all

Lord Azaghul
09-23-2009, 06:39 AM
Alrighty...
Ro Speed - drop them - pretty worthless, you'd be better off buying MR or something.

Thunderers: they should have shields so they can double as flankers when the time comes!

Battle Wizard. I actually don't know if I'd bother with him, the odds of you getting a spell off (even with prayers) are kind of low. A fighty Dwarf Thane might serve you better (gw Master Ro grommil, Ro Presevation - and even points to spare for ward save)

Archers: Handgunners or crossbows are a better - skermish is nice, but these guys have no stopping power at range or at CC the others as least have solid ranged stopping power.

Dwarf Cannon: either drop it all together, or drop the reloading and eng for the Ro Forging.

Bolt throwers: one of these NEEDS to have the RO BURNING - you've got to be able to handle regen (think hydras!)

great cannon: I think I'd be tempted to place either pistoliers in here or a mortar. Pistoliers will allow you to charge bait, and manouver, and a mortar lets you put some hurt on large blocks.

Also - consider finding point for an organ gun. It auto hits and is still a very good warmachine. Or a gyrocopter - the uses are limitless. Dropping the dwarf cannon almost pays for either one of these.

JuiceSpringsteen!
09-23-2009, 06:29 PM
Did we go overboard on the anti-Magic? I was torn on giving the wizard a Wizards staff( lets him roll one more dice for casting than normally allowed) but i figured go all out on dispel, that's probably a change I could roll with, that frees up some points for me to add a mortar, If we take out the dwarf cannon and take a Gyrocopter as our rare. The archers are cheap enough for what they do, I think ill keep them on. I won several games back when I first started playing either by A: having the archers pick off the lightly armoured crews( dwarves and the hellcannon are really the only one that give me issues with that) or B: tieing up the crew long enough for the captain on a pegasus (I usually have one) to wipe out the crew. They also make nice distractions for Heavy Cav. I can agree with shields on the thunderers , and I totally forgot about Regen when writing the list. I haven't played fantasy since early last year, so i'm sure lots has changed, but those changes make sense, thanks for the input, Azaghul.

Lord Azaghul
09-24-2009, 08:09 AM
At 1500 You should have a solid dispel phase, but since the RS doesn't can't you end on spending offensive magic point you can't use as effectively. You've already got 2 dice for showing up 2 for dwarves, 1 for the RS 1 for balance, and 1 for the warrior priest - so 150 points for 1 extra DD just doesn't seem worth it - especially since you can take a scroll & balance on the RS.

True archers are cheap and mobile, but handgunners and xbowmen are the same price- but hey if they work for you!

Good luck